2011 2:56

2010 2:54

2009 2:55

2008 2:55

2007 2:55

2006 2:52

2005 2:49

-- ESPN Stats & Information"

So none of the rules changes they have come up with to "speed up the game" have worked. Gee, I'm amazed that making a fake to third and throw to first a balk hasn't cut at least an hour off of the average game time. :laughlol: Now, instead of realizing that the games take longer because of TV commercials and leaving the game the way it is, they will go ahead and adopt even more absurd rules.

They tried the stay in the box thing last year and this year I see guys out of the box all the time. You want to speed up the game why not just tell pitchers whatever sign the catcher puts down that is the pitch you throw. lol The biggest issue I have is pitchers taking for ever to throw pitches. I would use the pitch clock like they do other places if you thing it needs sped up. If you look at the times it is like 10 minutes longer if you don't want to watch a game or go to one because you have to spend 10 extra minutes there you have bigger issues.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They tried the stay in the box thing last year and this year I see guys out of the box all the time. You want to speed up the game why not just tell pitchers whatever sign the catcher puts down that is the pitch you throw. lol The biggest issue I have is pitchers taking for ever to throw pitches. I would use the pitch clock like they do other places if you thing it needs sped up. If you look at the times it is like 10 minutes longer if you don't want to watch a game or go to one because you have to spend 10 extra minutes there you have bigger issues.

Though some media outlets tend to quote the full-fledged time of play as what Manfred is trying to "fix," I'm not so sure that's what he's going for. The average NFL game last 3 hours and 12 minutes, and people lap it up. I think Manfred and his crew are looking to reduce overall "downtime" during a baseball game because people have such short attention spans nowadays. They can't stick with the slower pace of baseball.

Yes, the ball's only in play for about 11 minutes during a football game, but the fans are distracted. In person, they're often drunk. At home, they're hammered with video highlights, etc., from around the league every-time there's a break in the action. And there are fewer overall commercial "breaks."

WTF?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/17118662/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-says-looking-possible-limits-use-relief-pitchers-games

I don't like this one bit, and not just because the O's have better starters than relievers. What's the "problem" that they're trying to address? Lack of offense in the late innings? Length of games? Seems those two things will contradict each other. This just stinks to high heaven of someone trying to fix something that isn't broken for no good reason. Leave the game alone!

I agree with you.

MLB considering limits for relief pitchers.

I'm considering going door-to-door in my neighborhood and asking everybody to give me $1,000 apiece, because I'm such a swell guy.

I don't think that I would have much success with it, but I'm considering it.

So it was A-OK when Mariano Rivera was getting 40-55 saves per year, but it's not OK for Zach Britton to do the same? This kind of partiality to the Yankees absolutely burns me up. Get a clue, Manfred.

Can't tell if serious or not..?

Count me in the this is a terrible idea camp. I agree that Pace of Play is an issue that needs to be addressed, but there are other things that need to be done. Enforce the 12 second rule. Get rid of replay. The only time there should be a stoppage is for injury and for the manager to make a pitching change.

I am not sure how this would be implemented, but such a rule in place is going to cause pitchers to get hurt because they will be left in too long.

The funniest thing to me is that John Farrell is quoted in the article. That guy manages the most boring team in all of MLB.

That's one of the most embarrassing statements I've ever heard from a commissioner. Absolutely embarrassing. "The problem with relief pitchers is that they have become too good"? Ya, let's mandate mediocrity, that's the solution!!!

That's one of the most embarrassing statements I've ever heard from a commissioner. Absolutely embarrassing. "The problem with relief pitchers is that they have become too good"? Ya, let's mandate mediocrity, that's the solution!!!

IDK look what there doing with the kickers in the NFL.

Good luck getting it past the MLBPA.

That's the first thing I thought too. It'll never fly.

Next Manfred will propose that pitchers can't throw over to first and all foul balls will be ruled as outs. The game would go so much faster.

That's the first thing I thought too. It'll never fly.

Next Manfred will propose that pitchers can't throw over to first and all foul balls will be ruled as outs. The game would go so much faster.

And yet he wants to shrink the strike zone, because if there is one thing more exciting than a strike out it's a walk.

I'm considering going door-to-door in my neighborhood and asking everybody to give me $1,000 apiece, because I'm such a swell guy.

I don't think that I would have much success with it, but I'm considering it.

I do hope you'll contribute some of that to the Extend Manny Fund.

I beg of you.

And yet he wants to shrink the strike zone, because if there is one thing more exciting than a strike out it's a walk.

Sounds like MLB wants to go back to the glory days of the 98-2005 steroid era. Just in a more ethical way.

Archived