Tillman should be in Cy Young Conversation

accinfo

I will say it first. (Sorry if someone else said it in a different thread. LOL) Wins shouldn't be the end all be all but if he can end up with an ERA around where it is now he should be in the discussion. It seems like he has also gotten through his "rough stretch" this year and hopefully he will stay on a roll! Considering he pitches in a hitters ballpark half the time as well.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will say it first. (Sorry if someone else said it in a different thread. LOL) Wins shouldn't be the end all be all but if he can end up with an ERA around where it is now he should be in the discussion. It seems like he has also gotten through his "rough stretch" this year and hopefully he will stay on a roll! Considering he pitches in a hitters ballpark half the time as well.

I think he needs to get the ERA under 3 and win 20 to be in the conversation. He's 10th in ERA right now. He needs to get in the top five my opinion, to have a shot. Chris Sale also has 14 wins and I'd bet on that ERA sinking below 3 by the end of the season.

There is no one standout pitcher having a ridiculous season numbers wise. Usually someone like Sale or King Felix separates themselves from the pack. I don't think the division or ballpark we play in is a huge difference maker for voters, just my assumption.

Nah. He's 19th in fWAR at 1.8 for AL SP.

A while ago when people first brought it up I thought was a total non-possibility.

It's still a long shot but if he finishes with 19-20+ wins and an ERA of 3ish or below he should at least finish fairly high in the voting.

I would put the over/under of CY Young voters that know the meaning of that at 4.5.

ESPN's WAR has him at 3.7 only behind Salazar's 3.9.

He's tied for the lead in Wins. 14.

Tied for 8th in ERA 3.18.

I think they are a lot better informed than they used to be.

There aren't really any standout frontrunners in the AL. If he keeps winning and pitching well he'll surely be in the conversation.

I'd agree with this. No one's beating down the door in the AL, and as others have noted, the voters have limits on what numbers they'll crunch. I think he needs to win 20 to really draw the eyes of some folks, though - otherwise his largely "mediocre" reputation will leave him forgotten.

Wins are obviously subjective, but flashing a big 2-0 would do wonders for getting people to at least take a closer look at him and his numbers when they sit down to cast a ballot.

Tillman should be earning more respect from OH, than he has. IMO.

Roch this to say:

Tillman was a breath of fresh air amidst all the germs. He?s allowed one run over seven innings in each of his last four starts and he?s improved to 14-2 with a 3.18 ERA. He?s tied with the White Sox?s Chris Sale for most wins in the majors.

No Orioles starter had allowed one run or fewer in four straight starts since Jim Palmer strung together six in a row in 1978.

The Orioles are 18-3 when Tillman takes the mound, the most wins in any major league pitchers starts this season, according to ESPN.

According to ESPN Stats & Info, Tillman is the first Orioles pitcher to win 14 games through 21 starts in a season since Sidney Ponson in 2003.

?He?s been doing it for a while, pretty much all season,? said shortstop J.J. Hardy, whose 2-run single in the first inning gave the Orioles a quick lead. ?It was big for him to throw like he did. We needed it.

?That?s what ace?s do. He?s our ace and that?s what they do. Every time they take the mound you?ve got a good chance to win.?

Archived