Orioles inquired about Melvin Upton, Jr (BlueJays)

Sir_Loin

.307 OBP but 16 homers. Have him for next year. Adding about 4-5 million in overall contract. Probably ship someone like Christian Walker.

His HR/FB% is unsustainably high, but he is hitting the ball to all fields this year. Expect some regression, but nothing like with Parra. If it rids us of Ubaldo, so be it. As long as we don't give up anything more than Walker.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have been wanting to get rid of Ubaldo's deal, once we found out Joey will be out until September we knew we would have to trade for a big contract outfielder so we could try and swap Ubaldo out.

We scouted Cashner in St. Louis and have liked him in the past. We had convo with Preller about including him but no idea where it will end up. The thinking was to kill two birds (no pun intended) with one stone

Good. I don't get why Padres make this trade. Upton is a useful player even if overpaid. Ubaldo is a complete train wreck.

To save money, and let some of their younger OF'ers pitch. Ubaldo knows the NL and has pitched well against COL this year. Bigger ballpark might do him well. SD isn't contending so they don't NEED Upton.

His HR/FB% is unsustainably high, but he is hitting the ball to all fields this year. Expect some regression, but nothing like with Parra. If it rids us of Ubaldo, so be it. As long as we don't give up anything more than Walker.

Right, Walker would be my limit. If it's a second tier guy, no problem.

Exchanging salary dumps was always the solution with Ubaldo; had to get that negative value/waste of roster spot removed. Rickard is gone a month plus and Kim's banged up, move you have to make. Upton should at least be average, pretty favorable shift in parks too, has to help.

Right, Walker would be my limit. If it's a second tier guy, no problem.

Exchanging salary dumps was always the solution with Ubaldo; had to get that negative value/waste of roster spot removed. Rickard is gone a month plus and Kim's banged up, move you have to make. Upton should at least be average, pretty favorable shift in parks too, has to help.

I'm so happy to see Ubaldo leave that I dont care who we give up. We have two tiers in our farm system. Sisco, Mancini, Reyes, Mountcastle, Peralta, Harvey, Sedlock and then everyone else.

They actually save money. Ubaldo is due 13 and 13.5, Upton is due 15.5 and 16.5.

Right thats what I said. He asked why would the Padres make this deal and I said to save money.

Not to mention it opens up an OF slot for Dickerson or Renfroe.

Whoever mentioned Walker, they dont want him. They have Myers at 1B, and Walker isn't an OF'er.

Archived