Orioles inquired about Melvin Upton, Jr (BlueJays)

Sir_Loin

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really shouldn't have to give up much of a prospect at all, with Upton due to make $16 M next season.

16.45. I'm guessing Brian Gonzalez. I'm not happy with that guess but it is what I think. When Kim comes back, I could see going with Upton in RF and Trumbo at DH. Minimal offense lost and lots of defense gained. Maybe we deal Pedro. We do have Mancini that could DH.

I like it. Immediately steps in as 4th OF/platoon partner for Kim. Option to replace Trumbo next year. Gets rid of Ubaldo, which allows us to bring back O'Day without having to option Despaigne or Hart.

I would rather pay Upton 16M than Ubaldo $13M. Only question is what we have to give up to make it work for the Padres.

Padres would save as per spotrac

2016 2017 2018

Upton $16,050,000 $17,050,000 UFA

Jimenez $13,000,000 $13,500,000 UFA

Est.

Savings $1.5MM $3.5MM Total: $5MM

From their point of view;

5 Million in savings

A space for their prospects to get AB's this year

Prospect from us

Production from Ubaldo next year + whatever they could trade him for next deadline

Was a 2.5 WAR pitcher last year.

16.45. I'm guessing Brian Gonzalez. I'm not happy with that guess but it is what I think. When Kim comes back, I could see going with Upton in RF and Trumbo at DH. Minimal offense lost and lots of defense gained. Maybe we deal Pedro. We do have Mancini that could DH.

I wouldn't be so quick to drop Pedro. Melvin is known to go into heavy slumps at the plate. I like him fine as a fourth outfielder and possible starter in RF for next season.

Barker

I like it. Immediately steps in as 4th OF/platoon partner for Kim. Option to replace Trumbo next year. Gets rid of Ubaldo, which allows us to bring back O'Day without having to option Despaigne or Hart.

I would rather pay Upton 16M than Ubaldo $13M. Only question is what we have to give up to make it work for the Padres.

He immediately steps into the starting LF spot. 4th OF spot when Kim comes back. Maybe pushes P.Alvarez to the bench some games. Decent option for next year. How much are we giving up?

Archived