Orioles inquired about Melvin Upton, Jr (BlueJays)

Sir_Loin

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upton is owed roughly 24.2M and under contract through 2017, vs Ubaldo who is owed roughly 20M through 2017.

So SD saves roughly 4M but they're also giving up a guy having a nice year, vs a disaster. Unless they were truly desperate to save 4M, you'd think a decent piece would have to be involved.

Anyone want to take a guess of any names in the O's system it would take to acquire Cashner and Upton?

Top prospect, and a few others, or maybe flat out two top guys. Tanner Scott's name (hes not really a top prospect) is a name I would keep an eye on.

If it's a top prospect, Duquette should resign immediately.

Yes, yes he should.

With that said, upton has been quite productive playing in a horrible hitting ballpark playing on an awful team.

Plug him into our lineup, with our hitter friendly park, replace Trumbo's defense with his defense and he's finally on a good, contending team.......we may get ourselves a rejuvenated player who can have an impact playing at Camden yards.

But if we give up anything more than a C prospect, Dan needs to be taken out behind the barn.

Keep in mind we tried to get Cashner from the Padres in February, deal never worked out. They asked then about Tanner Scott and Jomar Reyes as supplemental pieces to a deal.

Once Reyes was asked for, the Orioles knew a deal wouldn't get done with how much the Padres were asking for a guy who just came off a 16 loss season in which he gave up over 200 hits in only 180 innings.

People will cry over Scott but I still like this. Ubaldo is completely useless. Upton has value, although expensive, and has played in the AL East before.

We just did a top 10 in the minors section, most people left Scott out. Scott can touch upper 90's but so can B.Bonilla and L.Rutledge. Plus we have Cleavinger and Meisgener behind him as RP prospects.

Once Reyes was asked for, the Orioles knew a deal wouldn't get done with how much the Padres were asking for a guy who just came off a 16 loss season in which he gave up over 200 hits in only 180 innings.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. This is what makes this time of year fun.

People will cry over Scott but I still like this. Ubaldo is completely useless. Upton has value, although expensive, and has played in the AL East before.

We just did a top 10 in the minors section, most people left Scott out. Scott can touch upper 90's but so can B.Bonilla and L.Rutledge. Plus we have Cleavinger and Meisgener behind him as RP prospects.

Tanner Scott's minor league numbers aren't that great. I know that isn't always indicative of a player's true potential, but why is he so highly valued?

I seem to recall that Melvin and Adam Jones are buds and hang out in the off season.

Is it a good deal? Depends on the prospect going back to SD. I really like where his swing was a few weeks ago when we played them there. Obviously, Cashner would be a much more important need, but Melvin would do some things for us too.

Archived