Are you in favor of the Miley trade?

Frobby

Are you in favor of the Miley trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the Miley trade?

• Yes. He's an upgrade and the cost is reasonable
    • Yes. Not sure if he's an upgrade, but he gives us flexibility.
    • No. He's not an upgrade.
    • No. Even if he's a slight upgrade, Miranda was too much to give up
    • No. Even if he's a slight upgrade, his contract is too expensive compared to his value.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like both moves, Miley and Ondrusek. Would still like to see a lefty reliever added to the bullpen. Jettisoning Ubaldo would make my day. Watching him pitch (and, unfortunately, Chris Davis hit) makes my eyes hurt.

Wade Miley is just not very good. Joe Saunders 2.0 - an uninspiring move during a season where we have a legit to go for it. If we're going to go for it - pay the price to make an impact move. This is just rearranging the deck chairs on the ship - Wade Miley being any better over the last two months of the season than pretty much any starter we could promote from the minors or pick off the scrapheap is basically a coin flip.

You mean the Wade Miley who in his last 8 starts has a 3.80 ERA and has held batters to a .247/.309/.408/.717 slash line is someone the Orioles can pick up the scrapheap or from their minor leagues? So who in the Orioles minor leagues can do this right now? Who is the scrapheap pitcher (whatever that means) that can start and do this right now? Miley has pitched at least 6 innings in 14 or 19 starts. Tillman who is our best starting pitcher, has pitched 6 innings or more in just 14 of his 23 starts. Other Orioles starters: Gausman 10 of 18, Ubaldo 4 of 18, Wilson 6 of 13, Gallardo 4 of 13 and Wright 5 of 12.

Miley keeps his team in the ball game and is actually able to give some innings while doing it. He is not an ace, but a guy who is going to help this ball club down the stretch and no, he's not the equivalent of a AAAA guy. He cost us a guy I would probably put in the 20-30 range on our prospect list (he's not even on MLB.com's top 30 list) and is pitching better than any of our starter's not named Kevin Gausman. How anyone can be against this move is beyond me. Duquette made the team better without giving up something the Orioles need this year and not anyone thought was part of the future here as a starter.

Oh, I don't know. If so, why would those 7-8 starts be more important than the prior 11 or 12 where his ERA must have been over 5.00, since it's about 4.00 now?

You probably know my position - any SSS results have to be taken with a giant grain of salt unless you know of specific actions the player has taken to fundamentally change his game. And even then you just back it off to a moderately-sized grain.

Maybe because it's his first year at AAA?

You mean the Wade Miley who in his last 8 starts has a 3.80 ERA and has held batters to a .247/.309/.408/.717 slash line is someone the Orioles can pick up the scrapheap or from their minor leagues? So who in the Orioles minor leagues can do this right now? Who is the scrapheap pitcher (whatever that means) that can start and do this right now?

Whenever someone cherry picks numbers like that it makes me want to look up what he did the two or three starts before that. 9 ER, 5 ER, 4 ER.

I agree that Miley is probably better than anyone we have, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson, Worley, or even Miranda outperform him.

My bigger issue is committing the $9M and roster spot next year.

You mean the Wade Miley who in his last 8 starts has a 3.80 ERA and has held batters to a .247/.309/.408/.717 slash line is someone the Orioles can pick up the scrapheap or from their minor leagues? So who in the Orioles minor leagues can do this right now? Who is the scrapheap pitcher (whatever that means) that can start and do this right now? Miley has pitched at least 6 innings in 14 or 19 starts. Tillman who is our best starting pitcher, has pitched 6 innings or more in just 14 of his 23 starts. Other Orioles starters: Gausman 10 of 18, Ubaldo 4 of 18, Wilson 6 of 13, Gallardo 4 of 13 and Wright 5 of 12.

Miley keeps his team in the ball game and is actually able to give some innings while doing it. He is not an ace, but a guy who is going to help this ball club down the stretch and no, he's not the equivalent of a AAAA guy. He cost us a guy I would probably put in the 20-30 range on our prospect list (he's not even on MLB.com's top 30 list) and is pitching better than any of our starter's not named Kevin Gausman. How anyone can be against this move is beyond me. Duquette made the team better without giving up something the Orioles need this year and not anyone thought was part of the future here as a starter.

This is really what it boils down to IMO.

The Orioles were able to get a veteran left handed starter who can eat up some innings and who has been effective very recently.

Further, as you state, the price tag to acquire him is pretty minimal.

I can't see the downside of this deal either.

Whenever someone cherry picks numbers like that it makes me want to look up what he did the two or three starts before that. 9 ER, 5 ER, 4 ER.

I agree that Miley is probably better than anyone we have, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson, Worley, or even Miranda outperform him.

I care more about his last seven then his starts that were two months ago.

Regardless, the stastic of 6 ip in 14 of his 19 starts is main thing i see. Our problem is starters going 3 innings and wearing down the pen. Miley is a vet that goes deep in games. Once our offense picks it up, then we'll be fine if he csn go deep into games.

Why don't we just sign ( and this would have been last offseason) a legitimate starting pitcher like

a Mike Leake level?

I know the answer is that the organization is reluctant to make long term commitments to pitchers,

but every year they flush the equivalen annual salary down the toilet on Gallardo types

who are at or below replacement level

I get your point to an extent, but we also have to remember that pitchers are not exactly clamoring to pitch in the AL East. We may be interested in someone, but it takes two to tango. I think we have probably expressed interest in a lot of guys recently in free agency, and between pitchers not being exactly thrilled about pitching in the AL East, our unwillingness to offer opt-outs, or our medicals (which we have been right about for the most part), I don't think we are going to be able to depend on free agency for arms. For legitimate options, we are probably going to have to overpay, and that probably isn't going to happen very often. In retrospect, we have certainly had some duds in FA recently, but that just goes to show that our best way to success with pitching is probably going to have to come through developing our own guys or through trades.

9m for starting pitcher, is below market value these days.

Totally crazy, what has happen to the SP market.

That easy, you got the DD & Angelos haters, and then you have the doom and gloom posters.

9m for starting pitcher, is below market value these days.

Totally crazy, what has happen to the SP market.

I am not saying the money is expensive relative to the market. I am just not crazy about having our entire rotation locked in with guys who are out of options and getting paid market dollars. Even if they are performing OK, the more we depend on mediocre guys getting market dollars, the less flexibility we have to improve the team. We raise the floor but lower the ceiling.

It's not really cherry picking when its currently what he is doing though. It's not like Tony pulled his stats from road starts in April and May. :)

I understand some apprehension on the deal, but given the cost of pitching these days and how well he has pitched recently, I am very comfortable with the deal for this year and next. Who knows, if he pitches well to finish the year, and we have better options for the rotation next year, maybe we can flip him elsewhere. But if he ends up being a quality middle of the rotation option, the $9M for next year could end up being a good deal.

I am not saying the money is expensive relative to the market. I am just not crazy about having our entire rotation locked in with guys who are out of options and getting paid market dollars. Even if they are performing OK, the more we depend on mediocre guys getting market dollars, the less flexibility we have to improve the team. We raise the floor but lower the ceiling.

So you stand pat, and don't upgrade?

they got to pull the trigger and do it, IMO

Archived