Looking ahead to 2017

ChuckS

When has Angelos ever shown the inclination of eating money like that? Hell, the Orioles have refused to get rid of a number of terrible veteran relievers over the years because of Angelos' unwillingness to eat money. Remember Kevin Gregg and Danys Baez? Ubaldo will be on the roster next year.

They ate $6M when they released Brady Anderson, and that was half a generation ago. Roch has mentioned several times that they would be willing to release Ubaldo and absorb the loss.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They ate $6M when they released Brady Anderson, and that was half a generation ago. Roch has mentioned several times that they would be willing to release Ubaldo and absorb the loss.

Then why haven't they? He has been demoted to the bullpen but hasn't pitched a single inning. The only time he has pitched was the spot start against Minnesota, but that could have been anyone. They say they are willing to eat it but they haven't done it yet.

Wow, wildcard. If that's correct, it really sheds light on us not moving Sisco and Mancini at the deadline. We need cheap bodies.

Yes, the addition of Miley has a big impact on next year's payroll. It takes the team from almost a break even if the FA are let go to adding almost 7m to next year's payroll with the addition of Miley.

Its a complete unknown which way the O's will go with payroll. They have increased payroll every year since Duquette arrived. But now attendance is down and the O's are at their peak in terms of payroll. Pick a number and place your bets. Any number could be right.

The O's normalyl try to go cheap in the 1st half if they can. This year Wilson, Wright, Given, Rickard and Bundy were all first year players. The additions of Worley and Kim were done pretty cheaply. Next year Mancini and Hart/Tolliver are the only players that currently look like cheap additions. Of course has not worked his magic yet.

Yes, the addition of Miley has a big impact on next year's payroll. It takes the team from almost a break even if the FA are let go to adding almost 7m to next year's payroll with the addition of Miley.

Its a complete unknown which way the O's will go with payroll. They have increased payroll every year since Duquette arrived. But now attendance is down and the O's are at their peak in terms of payroll. Pick a number and place your bets. Any number could be right.

The O's normalyl try to go cheap in the 1st half if they can. This year Wilson, Wright, Given, Rickard and Bundy were all first year players. The additions of Worley and Kim were done pretty cheaply. Next year Mancini and Hart/Tolliver are the only players that currently look like cheap additions. Of course has not worked his magic yet.

Thanks for doing the analysis on the payroll - a bit disheartening because I think we're close in terms of what we have coming back, but the one glaring need I can see is a RF (assuming we let Trumbo walk). There are no real good in house options, though perhaps we try to go cheap and give Rickard, Christian Walker, or Dariel Alvarez a shot at it. Obviously Rickard appears at this point to be a better option as a short side platoon guy, Walker would have questionable defense and still unproven hitting, and Alvarez is a giant unknown with the bat at the ML level (and not much evidence at this point he could succeed), but those, in my view, would be the in house options. Perhaps we could try to more frequently run Flaherty out there, but I'm certainly not excited about the prospect of him playing regularly in a platoon role. We could get ambitious and try to get Mancini some time in RF in either the fall league or spring training, but absolutely no evidence he can play it even as well as Trumbo (and I don't want to see worse than Trumbo).

I think we can get a cheap, veteran catcher to platoon with Caleb and hopefully be the bridge to Sisco, but RF will likely be our biggest need and we don't have an obvious internal candidate.

Then why haven't they? He has been demoted to the bullpen but hasn't pitched a single inning. The only time he has pitched was the spot start against Minnesota, but that could have been anyone. They say they are willing to eat it but they haven't done it yet.

There isn't even room for Ubaldo on next year's team. One thing to remember about next year's team too is that I believe Macfarland is out of options.

The foundation is already here for us to win next year. Depending on how we replace MW, Trumbo and PA will decide how much we win. The pitching staff is pretty much already set. The lineup is 80% set. All that is up in the air is 1-2 OF spots, a C, and DH. I think Mancini is an easy solution at DH. A stop gap C till Sisco should work. Hopefully Trumbo likes it here and will take an oriole discount.

Thanks for doing the analysis on the payroll - a bit disheartening because I think we're close in terms of what we have coming back, but the one glaring need I can see is a RF (assuming we let Trumbo walk). There are no real good in house options, though perhaps we try to go cheap and give Rickard, Christian Walker, or Dariel Alvarez a shot at it. Obviously Rickard appears at this point to be a better option as a short side platoon guy, Walker would have questionable defense and still unproven hitting, and Alvarez is a giant unknown with the bat at the ML level (and not much evidence at this point he could succeed), but those, in my view, would be the in house options. Perhaps we could try to more frequently run Flaherty out there, but I'm certainly not excited about the prospect of him playing regularly in a platoon role. We could get ambitious and try to get Mancini some time in RF in either the fall league or spring training, but absolutely no evidence he can play it even as well as Trumbo (and I don't want to see worse than Trumbo).

I think we can get a cheap, veteran catcher to platoon with Caleb and hopefully be the bridge to Sisco, but RF will likely be our biggest need and we don't have an obvious internal candidate.

I think the O's add a right fielder from outside the organization. Probably a player with 0-3 year of experience. Probably a left-handed hitter.

There isn't even room for Ubaldo on next year's team. One thing to remember about next year's team too is that I believe Macfarland is out of options.

The foundation is already here for us to win next year. Depending on how we replace MW, Trumbo and PA will decide how much we win. The pitching staff is pretty much already set. The lineup is 80% set. All that is up in the air is 1-2 OF spots, a C, and DH. I think Mancini is an easy solution at DH. A stop gap C till Sisco should work. Hopefully Trumbo likes it here and will take an oriole discount.

Trumbo will get offers beyond what the O's can counter, I believe. I feel it's far more likely that DD tries to find his "next" Cruz/Trumbo on the trash heap. Which is very possible.

I think the O's add a right fielder from outside the organization. Probably a player with 0-3 year of experience. Probably a left-handed hitter.

Sure, a trade for a relatively lower cost RF is a viable, and perhaps the most likely, solution. Just hope it works out better than the Travis Snider fiasco.

I see us adding NO payroll.

1. I could see DD using the sandwich pick we get from Trumbo's free agency to trade Ubaldo. Like, the pick + Ubaldo for a RF. I'm not saying I agree with that move, I'm just saying I could see that.

2. I think MW gets offered the QO. If he takes it, we may try to trade Gallardo or Miley. Buck loves Wieters like a son and that should not be underestimated. I could even see us signing Wieters to a 3 or 4-yr deal. I actually think the O's would like Wieters to take the QO.

3. Mancini replaces Trumbo. I would be surprised if Cisco is ready to catch 80 games in the ML. I think his bat is ready.

4. The obvious offseason priority is Manny Machado.

I agree Ubaldo gets a shot. To be fair, he has always been wildly inconsistent year to year. He could put up a 115 ERA+ in 2017 without surprising me. Past performance seems to have no impact on his future.

Trumbo and Wieters get QO. The latter might take it but I doubt it.

I'd look hard at acquiring a CF defensive upgrade. Extend Jones on the condition he is willing to play corner OF. Huge defensive bump for these pitchers. I'd only do this if a truly top flight defender is available.

Mancini, Walker, Sisco get cracks at making the team.

Roll with the pitchers we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Atlanta moving in to their new Ballpark next year, I fully expect them to shell out some cash this offseason, including for Wieters. They probably won't compete until 2018, but they will have a mix of young guys and names to show the crowd.

Mike Wright, out of options? I think when he is transition ed to the bullpen we will see him flourish ala Tommy Hunter.

Also I see no way the reigns to DH are handed to Mancini. I see two possibilities. First, Pedro is retained but TOR, NY and Texas could all be looking for a DH (the first two scare me). Second, some low cost "professional hitter" is brought in.

I see us adding NO payroll.

1. I could see DD using the sandwich pick we get from Trumbo's free agency to trade Ubaldo. Like, the pick + Ubaldo for a RF. I'm not saying I agree with that move, I'm just saying I could see that.

2. I think MW gets offered the QO. If he takes it, we may try to trade Gallardo or Miley. Buck loves Wieters like a son and that should not be underestimated. I could even see us signing Wieters to a 3 or 4-yr deal. I actually think the O's would like Wieters to take the QO.

3. Mancini replaces Trumbo. I would be surprised if Cisco is ready to catch 80 games in the ML. I think his bat is ready.

4. The obvious offseason priority is Manny Machado.

If Miley performs well in the AL East the rest of the way, his salary becomes very tradeable for a valuable piece. I think it was a great gamble by Duquette. He almost certainly helps us this year, as we have at least one spot in the rotation that can't provide less than a 5.00 ERA. If Miley can even pitch to a 4.50, he can easily be traded in the off season for a bat.

If Miley performs well in the AL East the rest of the way, his salary becomes very tradeable for a valuable piece. I think it was a great gamble by Duquette. He almost certainly helps us this year, as we have at least one spot in the rotation that can't provide less than a 5.00 ERA. If Miley can even pitch to a 4.50, he can easily be traded in the off season for a bat.

If he performs well in the AL East, why would we trade him for a bat?

Archived