A Favor from a Common National League Opponent

OFFNY

o

The Los Angeles Dodgers played the Orioles 3 times this season. The Orioles won 2 out of 3 of those games.

The Dodgers also played the Red Sox 3 times this season. The Dodgers won 2 out of 3 of those games.

Granted that this is a very small sample of the Orioles getting some good fortune, but it is nonetheless an example. Quite often, we'll see/read sentiments such as "Damn, only the Orioles could screw this up" and/or "That ball was foul by INCHES. A home run would have tied the game. How come those things always happen to us."

And while those sentiments are certainly understandable, they really are not (for the most part) accurate. It only seems like we never have breaks go our way because we live and die with every game, and it hurts so much to see our team lose. But the reality of the matter is that "those things" happen to all teams, not just the Orioles.

How about uncommon opponents:

Toronto got 3 of 4 vs Philly

Boston got 3 of 4 vs Atlanta

We have 4 vs the Nats ...

As I stated, the Dodgers example is a small sample size.

My point at-large was that the bad breaks don't always go against the Orioles.

By the same token, Red Sox fans are probably bemoaning the fact that their team lost 2 out of 3 to the Dodgers while the Orioles won 2 out of 3 from the Dodgers ........ while not taking into account what you just said, that their team had 4 games against one of the worst teams in baseball (the Braves), while the Orioles have 4 upcoming games against one of the best teams in baseball (the Nationals.)

So whether it be Oriole fans bemoaning their seemingly snake-bitten fate or Red Sox fans doing so, it really is a largely biased sentiment.

As I stated, the Dodgers example is a small sample size.

My point at-large was that the bad breaks don't always go against the Orioles.

By the same token, Red Sox fans are probably bemoaning the fact that their team lost 2 out of 3 to the Dodgers while the Orioles won 2 out of 3 from the Dodgers ........ while not taking into account what you just said, that their team had 4 games against one of the worst teams in baseball (the Braves), while the Orioles have 4 upcoming games against one of the best teams in baseball (the Nationals.)

So whether it be Oriole fans bemoaning their seemingly snake-bitten fate or Red Sox fans doing so, it really is a largely biased sentiment.

Sorry, that point wasn't about your original post. I went off on a tangent a little bit.

That said, I don't this this as LAD doing us any favors. This has more to do with Boston's bats coming back to reality over the past month. LAD is supposed to win that home series. We did ourselves a favor taking 2 out of 3 out there, especially battling for that 14 inning win when we could have turned it in on a "getaway day".

Sorry, that point wasn't about your original post. I went off on a tangent a little bit.

That said, I don't this this as LAD doing us any favors. This has more to do with Boston's bats coming back to reality over the past month. LAD is supposed to win that home series. We did ourselves a favor taking 2 out of 3 out there, especially battling for that 14 inning win when we could have turned it in on a "getaway day".

Oh OK, my bad.

And yes, while I think that my OP does have merit, I also think that pointing out misfortunes is also apt ...... and in this case it is indeed noteworthy, being that the Orioles' regional National League opponent (the Nationals) over the last few years has been a perennial contender, while the Red Sox' regional National League opponent (the Braves) has not been as of late.

Also, my use of the word "favor" was used in a relatively loose manner/not necessarily to be taken literally. We earned those 2 wins against the Dodgers, and the Dodgers earned those 2 wins against the Red Sox ...... it just so happens that in the end, we came out on top in this particular example of a common opponent.

The Dodgers also took 2 out of 3 from Toronto back in May.

They took 2 out of 3 from BOTH the Red Sox AND the Blue Jays, and they lost 2 out of 3 to the Orioles ???

I think that the least the Orioles can do is buy the entire Dodgers teams some Klondike Bars.) :cool:

Unfortunately HOU is not our friend. (Swept the O's, then laid over to Jays 3-1).

Except that they are not an National League team ........

It took quite a while for me to have the fact that the Brewers were a National League team completely sink in.

I'm almost there with Astros being an American League team, as well. It will probably be another couple of years for me before it sinks in completely (as it eventually did for me with the Brewers.)

Archived