Congrats to Buck on becoming the 2nd-winningest manager in modern Oriole history

Frobby

This news is actually a few days old, but somehow passed without a thread on the topic. Last week, Buck passed Paul Richards to become the second-winningest manager in Orioles history. He now has 521 wins, ahead of Richards' 517.

Buck's not going to challenge Earl Weaver's 1,480 wins as Orioles manager, but he is likely to pass Earl in total managerial wins sometime next year. Buck has won 1,403 games, 28th on the all-time list. By the time this season is over, he should be up to 25th all time, passing Jimmy Dykes (1406), Al Lopez (1410), and Miller Huggins (1413). Next year he could pass Earl and Clark Griffith (1491) to finish the year in 23rd place.

As a fan who has seen at least 14 different men skipper the Orioles, I feel very lucky that Buck has been at the helm the last 5+ years. Notably, last week was the 6th anniversary of the day Buck took over the team. One of the most important days in the history of the franchise, in my humble opinion.

Congrats, Buck, and I hope you've got many years as Orioles manager in front of you.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the consensus was to fire Buck when the left Gallardo in too long. Or didnt drop Davis down to 6th in the order. Or put Brach in the game and should have put Britton in for 9 outs...

I am glad we have Buck as well.

Notably, last week was the 6th anniversary of the day Buck took over the team. One of the most important days in the history of the franchise, in my humble opinion.

Without question. I'm hoping in the next 5 years, assuming he is still here, that those 14 years will seem like a bad dream.

I am so dang thankful a couple of other people pulled themselves out of contention for the job.

I think will be here until at least 2018, and beyond that, if he wants to keep at it.

I do not see him managing elsewhere, when he decides to hang it up, it will be life after baseball.

Just IMO.

This news is actually a few days old, but somehow passed without a thread on the topic. Last week, Buck passed Paul Richards to become the second-winningest manager in Orioles history. He now has 521 wins, ahead of Richards' 517.

Buck's not going to challenge Earl Weaver's 1,480 wins as Orioles manager, but he is likely to pass Earl in total managerial wins sometime next year. Buck has won 1,403 games, 28th on the all-time list. By the time this season is over, he should be up to 25th all time, passing Jimmy Dykes (1406), Al Lopez (1410), and Miller Huggins (1413). Next year he could pass Earl and Clark Griffith (1491) to finish the year in 23rd place.

As a fan who has seen at least 14 different men skipper the Orioles, I feel very lucky that Buck has been at the helm the last 5+ years. Notably, last week was the 6th anniversary of the day Buck took over the team. One of the most important days in the history of the franchise, in my humble opinion.

Congrats, Buck, and I hope you've got many years as Orioles manager in front of you.

GO BUCK!! congrats and here's to LOTS MORE WINS! :thumbsup1:

I was thinking about this the other day...does Buck make it into the HoF? Does he need the ring to get into it? He currently sits at a .521 Win % and has taken helm of 4 "bad" teams and turned them into perennial successes.

Thoughts?

I was thinking about this the other day...does Buck make it into the HoF? Does he need the ring to get into it? He currently sits at a .521 Win % and has taken helm of 4 "bad" teams and turned them into perennial successes.

Thoughts?

I think he would need the ring honestly. Anyhow, Buck's definitely become the best O's manager in my lifetime. (I was born after Earl's second run). We are so fortunate to have him as our manager.

I think he would need the ring honestly. Anyhow, Buck's definitely become the best O's manager in my lifetime. (I was born after Earl's second run). We are so fortunate to have him as our manager.

CBSSPORTS agrees with you:

(This was written last year)

A Ring And He's In

Buck Showalter, Orioles: A three-time AL Manager of the Year (1994, 2004, 2014), Showalter has a well-earned reputation for turning franchises around, which he did with the Yankees, Diamondbacks, Rangers and O's. He's won 1,259 games in his career with an impressive .520 winning percentage considering he's taken over bad teams at each stop, though he has yet to win a World Series. That's holding Showalter back more than anything. In fact, it wasn't until last year's ALDS that his team even won a postseason round (not counting the 2012 AL wild-card game). If Showalter wins a World Series at some point, I think he's a lock for Cooperstown. Hard to see a ring-less manager getting into the Hall of Fame though.

Archived