Wieters watch...

Sports Guy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't listen to the radio (mostly because I forgot it was a 6:05 start). With the Keys up 8-1, Justin Johnson caught the ninth inning with a new pitcher. He got hit in the top of the ninth, so I'm sure Tommy thompson took him out because of the lead. Wieters may DH tomorrow and probably have Sunday off as has happened in the past. He'll get one day at least off during the road trip.

I won't be too concerned until I see him not play in consecutive games.

The whole radio stream is still available at MiLB.com, so I'm listening and skipping around to see what they say...

In Wieters' first shot, he was batting right-handed. It was a line shot to right-center in the first inning. It didn't clear the fence by much but it got out in a hurry.

The two hbp's by the Lynchburg starter definitely weren't on purpose. (They were in the same inning and the 2nd one loaded the bases.)

The announcer didn't do much with Snyder's shot to LF, but it sounds like it was way out.

In Wieters' 2nd HR, a lead-off shot in the seventh inning, he was batting left-handed against a righty reliever. This one was to straight away center field.

He was hit by a pitch in his next at bat with two outs in the top of the ninth, the team up 7-1. He was batting left-handed against another reliever.

The first pitch was outside for ball 1. The second pitch, he took a strike away. Then he took a ball low and away (2-1), then way too high (3-1). He then hit a hard liner foul (3-2). The pitcher overthrew it and hit him on the next pitch. Sounds like it hurt, but he wasn't hurt...

As I'm submitting this post, he's on first and everything seems fine. I'll update this post in a couple minutes.

EDIT: Wieters scored easily from first on Rowell's double in the 9th. That run ties him for the Carolina League lead with 25 runs scored. The announcer didn't even reference the hbp when announcing Wieters was replaced in the bottom of the 9th.

I didn't listen to the radio (mostly because I forgot it was a 6:05 start). With the Keys up 8-1, Justin Johnson caught the ninth inning with a new pitcher. He got hit in the top of the ninth, so I'm sure Tommy thompson took him out because of the lead. Wieters may DH tomorrow and probably have Sunday off as has happened in the past. He'll get one day at least off during the road trip.

I won't be too concerned until I see him not play in consecutive games.

Adam all actin' like he doesn't have Tommy Thompson on speed dial...PSHHH!!! :D

Just kidding...if you do hear, let us know.

I was at the game tonight and sat first row next to the Keys dugout...

His first HR was from the right side and it was an opposite field line drive that was driven way out of the park. His second HR was from the left side of the plate and he hit it to straightaway center... very impressive stuff.

As for the HBP... he did stay in the game to run the bases and looked to be fine. He got hit in his leg, on the thigh it appeared. It was probably a precautionary measure to take it easy on his legs behind the plate. My guess is he'll either DH tomorrow or just take the night off completely. I hope he plays though:D

Renshaw looked great tonight as well.

I think Wieters is a pretty convincing argument that we should use our no. 1 pick on the best college hitter available. It's just a pleasure following this guy.

By the way, anyone notice who is the 2nd best-hitting catcher in the Carolina League? It's none other than Koby Clemens!

Archived