Buck Stuff

ChuckS

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since I've been here at the OH for nearly 15 years, I think the most common criticism over that time has been bullpen management by our managers. It is not an easy thing to do.

I don't think Buck manages by the save rule - which is a poor thing for the writer to hang around Buck's neck. I guess he is thinking he needs Britton to close it out when we get a lead and that's that. But Buck doesn't know if we are going to take a lead that is one, two, three, four or five runs.

End of day, however, I don't like going home in a one game playoff situation that went extra innings without having put our best pitcher in the game. I think the criticism of Buck for not getting Britton into the game is valid - especially against the heart of the Toronto lineup.

This is the big point to me. I don't necessarily have an issue with Ubaldo coming in when he did, but as soon as Travis got the hit, Ubaldo should have been gone.

If Duensing had blown it then maybe I'd be aghast. As it is, we lost when we sent in someone that's been a pretty shutdown guy lately and who was supposed to take us another 5 innings or so, and our team's hitting was UGLY.

Yeh, it is pretty sad. I disagree with the decision too but calling for him to be fired is craziness. We beat projections 5 straight years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rest assured that if Buck had used Britton and two innings later they lose after taking the lead in the top of the inning, the same cast of characters would have been pissed that Buck wasted Britton in an earlier inning.

This is why I pay little attention to this site during the season. The reactionary stuff is sad.

I am disappointed, but man what a great season(s)

Baltimore fans...yes. They're blaming Ubaldo for this loss too. Its on the offense. If they show up we win. Not to mention without Ubaldo in the 2nd half, this team isn't even playing in the WC game.

Bingo. In the grand scheme, how can you blame a loss in which you score 2 runs in 11 innings (3 hits, ONE walk in ELEVEN INNINGS against an iffy bullpen!!!!) on pitching or managerial stupidity? Was Buck also a genius when he brought in DOD to get a game-saving double play? Was he a genius to give Brach another chance in a high-pressure situation? Or were those idiotic moves as well, and Britton should have come in instead of (name your reliever who came in the game)? Because a LOT of people were calling for that...

I'm noticing that most of these threads were started last night after the game. I understand the emotion of the loss. It was a painful game to watch. But for me, the painful part was watching inning after inning of pathetic at-bats... Inning after inning of ridiculous swings at balls out of the strike zone...

If you really think another manager could have even got us to the playoffs, let alone made every hindsight 20/20 decision you wish he would have made... then fine. Call for Buck's head. But remember what it was like before he got here. We didn't have to worry about having our hearts broken in the post season. We never got there.

Ubie is not a bp guy. That was bucks mistake. Our bats didn't give Britton the chance to pitch. Very simple.

I think the inability of our star hitters to play small ball had us doomed in the post season anyway.

Liriano was not a "bullpen guy" either. Starters often come out of the bullpen in crazy playoff games. Randy Johnson closed games in the world series.. AND started them.

Inexcusable.

The entire world is currently slack jawed at what was one of the worst decisions in the history of professional sports.

Outside of sports I'm sure Buck is a good person, but within the realm of the sport this is unforgivable. This ranks right up there with Maier but feels worse because it was self-inflicted.

We spend money and time supporting this team and the manager decides to not play the best player. There is no discussion, there is no nothing. This can't happen but it did.

I'm done with him. Thanks for helping turn the ship around. There is no coming back from this.

Cool. More prime seats at Camden Yards for the rest of us.

I didn't have a problem bringing him in. Many of us were clamoring for him to start the game, and the way things were looking with Liriano, we weren't looking too likely to score anytime soon. He needed someone to give us some innings. Unfortunately Ubaldo spit the bit. I'd have pulled him after the 1st two hitters, but win some, lose some. I'm not going to crucify Buck.

The offense only scoring two runs, with 0 hits after the 6th inning certainly didn't help things. And can we please, please, please, pretty please, finally cut ties with Nolan Reimold? FFS....

Unfortunately, this is not the first bonehead call made by Buck even in the last 3 weeks. Remember letting Gausman in to face Ortiz in the 7th inning of a 2-1 game against Boston. Remember leaving Miley in for the 7th inning against the Yankees which put us on the road for the wildcard. Maybe this is why Buck can get his teams to win but not to the promised land. New York, Arizona, and Texas all won after he left. I like Buck but there have been some real head scratchers from him of late.

Unfortunately, this is not the first bonehead call made by Buck even in the last 3 weeks. Remember letting Gausman in to face Ortiz in the 7th inning of a 2-1 game against Boston. Remember leaving Miley in for the 7th inning against the Yankees which put us on the road for the wildcard. Maybe this is why Buck can get his teams to win but not to the promised land. New York, Arizona, and Texas all won after he left. I like Buck but there have been some real head scratchers from him of late.

Also the game where were down by one run and Brach was warming and he didn't bring him in as Brach is only to be used when we are a head. Also the Kim fiasco and not sitting anyone when they weren't playing team baseball.

Archived