Buck Stuff

ChuckS

Who knows? We didn't have anywhere near the scrutiny back then that we do now. Earl is considered infallible but I'm sure you could pick out some things he did that were questionable.

Earl's reputation (among baseball people outside of Baltimore) has actually improved with time. He's always one of the first managers the sabremetrics people point to as an early trailblazer. Maybe there were some dumb decisions, but it seems unlikely he made many decisions that weren't high % decisions.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Earl's reputation (among baseball people outside of Baltimore) has actually improved with time. He's always one of the first managers the sabremetrics people point to as an early trailblazer. Maybe there were some dumb decisions' date=' but it seems unlikely he made many decisions that weren't high % decisions.[/quote']

The SABR crowd is all for using Saves Gods in alternative situations that did not create an unblemished save season. That's kinda new thinking. And of course completely untested.

So don't you want your best reliever (and arguably the best reliever in baseball) to be pitching in the higher-leverage situation? You can't just bury Britton on the bench hoping for a lead that might never arrive. You need to use him to keep the game tied as long as possible and give your offense a chance to go ahead.

Exactly the point of the five-thirty-eight piece I mentioned last night but couldn't link to. It's here. Shows that from a purely objective, rational, and scientific standpoint, Buck's decision was wrong, close to indefensible.

The "but what would have happened if we'd used Britton in the 11th, scored one in the top of the 12th, just to have Tommy Hunter give up a 2-run HR in the bottom of the 12th" argument in defense of Buck doesn't hold water. Yes, that might have happened, but in terms of giving you the best statistical chance to win, using Britton in the 11th was a no-brainer.

Exactly the point of the five-thirty-eight piece I mentioned last night but couldn't link to. It's here. Shows that from a purely objective, rational, and scientific standpoint, Buck's decision was wrong, close to indefensible.

The "but what would have happened if we'd used Britton in the 11th, scored one in the top of the 12th, just to have Tommy Hunter give up a 2-run HR in the bottom of the 12th" argument in defense of Buck doesn't hold water. Yes, that might have happened, but in terms of giving you the best statistical chance to win, using Britton in the 11th was a no-brainer.

You could make a strong case for using him earlier.

This is as correct as it gets. Those that wanted him used in the eleventh should be wetting themselves because he was not used in the ninth and tenth.

I have stated before that I have no problem with him (Britton) not being used in the eleventh, the issue that I have is using Ubaldo Jimenez in that spot instead of Hunter/Bundy. My reasonog is because of who the Blue Jays had pitching for them and the Orioles trend against that pitcher (Liriano) who basically "Owned" the Orioles on September 28..

Especially given Drew Stubbs' presence on the playoff roster. Ya know, a guy who historically has hit lefties well and isn't a bad defender.
If we get to the 7th game of the World Series I wouldn't have had as much problem with it. We didn't even get a home playoff game. If Buck could have gotten us to Game 7 of the World Series there would not be that many complaints.

Sure there would be. Some fans can alwAys find something to complain about. Even in a WS game.

The author makes that case in the article, at least from the bottom of the 9th. (He doesn't give any stats for the 8th, but the leverage index was probably already pretty high at the beginning of the inning and even more so after Carrera's single, and would have justified putting Britton in the game then).

Keep in mind that you spent most of the next several years after GW left hating Gary Williams' replacement in Mark Turgeon. I am not saying that new blood can't be better but it can also be a LOT worse. We should consider any decisions about Buck's future quite carefully IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not true at all. I've never hated Turgeon. I'm not sure he develops his talent very good and his in game coaching is average at best, but the guy recruits his butt off and is able to bring in very good talent.

Second best reliever this year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here comes Andrew Miller, with two outs in the fifth. Terry Francona, the anti-Showalter.</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="

">October 7, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It just seems like it?s too early to use all the Buck Showalter jokes and maybe we should save the best ones for when we really need them</p>— Bill Barnwell (@billbarnwell) <a href="

">October 7, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Going to freaking Ubaldo out of the bullpen instead of Britton? Incredible.

I think this is ridiculous. How many managers and games have been played by the O's over 60 plus years? Playing Ubaldo in this game who had been pitching better of late is the worst thing ever done? Buck did what he thought best. It didnt work out this time. Every manager has done the same. Baseball is a game of failure. A player has three hits out of ten plate appearances. He is hitting .300. Buck made a choice that didnt work out. It's funny. Some fan started a poll. Who to start Ubldo or Tillman. Ubaldo won that poll. And some of the same fans that voted for Ubaldo are pissed off at Buck for bringing Jimenez in.

Archived