Would you rather have lost 10-1?

Frobby

I'm happy with the WAY they lost. Because it will accentuate the real issue this team has moving forward - lack of run manufacturing when not hitting the long ball. I saw this movie coming all season when this team strayed from their working into pitch counts against better pitching. Too many first-pitch swinging and too many swings period. Working into an opponents bullpen is a good thing and something Buck has always seemed to have wanted. Getting 4 hits in the wild-card game with none after the 4th will stick in the heads of management which forced Buck to keep his closer longer than he would've liked that night. They likely would not have scored after 20 that night. And that kind of approach facing playoff pitching is directly related to why they've lost 5 in a row in the playoffs IMO.

I agree with this completely. Even though Boston lost the series last night, watching the 9th inning and seeing the quality at-bats their hitters had made me wonder why this concept is so hard for so many of our guys. I feel like we have a slew of guys who would have swung at every single pitch thrown by Allen last night regardless of where it was. Bradley of all people did a great job working the count and then clobbered a fat pitch to right for a single. Pedroia also worked the count and while he did swing at one terrible pitch, he still walked. Could any of our hitters (maybe Kim?) have walked or gotten a hit with our season on the line in that situation? Given that our approach kept getting worse as the game went on in Toronto, I guess the answer is no. I am just going to hope that this really hurts our guys a lot and they come back committed to getting better. The defiant attitude of Jones needs to change. Gillaspie already has more huge October hits than any of our guys and he has been in the playoffs for less than a week.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with this completely. Even though Boston lost the series last night, watching the 9th inning and seeing the quality at-bats their hitters had made me wonder why this concept is so hard for so many of our guys. I feel like we have a slew of guys who would have swung at every single pitch thrown by Allen last night regardless of where it was. Bradley of all people did a great job working the count and then clobbered a fat pitch to right for a single. Pedroia also worked the count and while he did swing at one terrible pitch, he still walked. Could any of our hitters (maybe Kim?) have walked or gotten a hit with our season on the line in that situation? Given that our approach kept getting worse as the game went on in Toronto, I guess the answer is no. I am just going to hope that this really hurts our guys a lot and they come back committed to getting better. The defiant attitude of Jones needs to change. Gillaspie already has more huge October hits than any of our guys and he has been in the playoffs for less than a week.

Yeah. I did not see that at all. I saw an old team bow out.

Gillaspie already has more huge October hits than any of our guys and he has been in the playoffs for less than a week.
It's nice they're found a random journeyman to play Delmon Young for them for a week. I'd caution against using a .706 OPS guy who's 4-for-15 in his postseason career as a template for planning out organizational success.

Yes. Absolutely 100 percent. If my choices are watch that, have to see Ubaldo thrown into a no win situation and walk off the field crushed while one of the best relievers of all time rides the bench or see us get smoked...I take the latter. There's no problem losing to a better team when they outplay you. What happened is our offense never came and we were out managed every step of the way.

Hearing about Toronto's 10-1 rout of Texas got me to thinking: in the WC game, would you rather have been blown out with no real controversy rather than losing in 11 innings with your manager making a highly criticized decision that may have cost the game?

For me, give me the game we had. But I wouldn't be surprised if others feel differently.

A loss is a loss 1 run 10 runs it don't matter. They all look the same in the loss and win column.

Yeah. I did not see that at all. I saw an old team bow out.

I don't see Boston as an old team. The average age of their offense was 28.5, 8th in the league and 0.1 older than the Orioles. The pitchers averaged 29.0, 3rd oldest but only 0.4 over average. Bradley, Bogaerts and Betts are all on the upswing. I expect them to be very good again next year.

Archived