Congratulations Nationals on Another Winning Season

weams

But spend any amount of time listening to DC sports talk and it gives you an idea of how many people truly care about the Nats as opposed to the Redskins and Capitals.

They are #3 in town, IMO.

92.7 in Prince Frederick is apparently a 24/7/365 Skins station. It's bizarre and annoying to be stuck in a car without satellite or a way to hook up the phone and stumble upon talk of the Skins defensive line on May 17th.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are wrong about this in my opinion. There are a lot of fans here who care a lot about the Nats, and some of those couldn't care less about the Redskins, Caps or Wizards. Obviously they've only had 12 seasons to get attached to the Nats, but there is definitely a fair amount of interest here. And for those fans who care a lot, obviously it is painful.

The Nationals have been here for 12 seasons already? Dear god I'm getting old.

If you're over 15, can you be a non-bandwagon Nate fan?

What does bandwagon mean to you?

I think a lot of people in DC, who were vaguely baseball fans but not keeping up regularly with the Orioles, casually latched on to the Nationals as their true home team and have been drawn in more and more as the team has become successful. I guess that's bandwagon in a certain sense, but I can't really criticize that because that happens in literally every city. That's just the way sport fandoms work.

For me, I'm from the DC area. I'm 24 now, and the Nats moved in when I was 13. I've always stayed a die-hard Orioles fan first, but I liked having another home team in the NL and I've always rooted for the Nats to succeed even though I don't follow them as much. I don't really get the Nats hate among many Orioles fans. I don't see any reason not to have a team in DC and I haven't seen anything on the field between the teams that would lead to hate. Maybe it's just a fun geographic rivalry that's less visible to me because I'm from DC in the first place.

I think he was specific to baseball in his posit.

No, not really. I think teams that have been around for several generations have inherent advantages over teams that haven't. You can't fake the depth of community involvement and history that comes from the fact that the Cubs played New York two days before Custer was killed at Little Big Horn.

No, not really. I think teams that have been around for several generations have inherent advantages over teams that haven't. You can't fake the depth of community involvement and history that comes from the fact that the Cubs played New York two days before Custer was killed at Little Big Horn.

Custer was a big fan.

Oakland+A+s+v+Chicago+Cubs+QpcGg2sM-nnx.jpg

What does bandwagon mean to you?

o

A "bandwagon" fan has different definitions for different people.

I have been called a bandwagon fan, and I started rooting for my 3 favorite teams (Colts, Orioles, Bullets) when I was 6 years-old, in the fall of 1971. I started rooting for the Orioles in October of 1971, when they were playing the Pirates in the World Series. I started rooting for the Colts 2 months later, on the final day of the 1971 regular season in December when they lost a nationally televised game to the Patriots, and subsequently had to settle for the Wild Card instead of the division title. Shorty after that, I started rooting for the Baltimore Bullets (now the Washington Wizards.)

The reason being (that I was called a bandwagon fan) was that all 3 of those teams were top contenders at the time, so it was asserted that I jumped on the Baltimore bandwagon at the height of its glory, in the early 1970's.

So while it seems strange that I would be considered a bandwagon fan, even though I still root for all 3 teams, and even though I was only 6 years-old when I started rooting for them (and have held on tight ever since, no matter how good or bad those teams have been), an argument can be made that I am a bandwagon fan ........ which is fine with me, as long as my fandom is put in its proper context.

Nobody hating on Dusty for pulling Max? I couldn't believe it myself. Gives up a cheap oppo HR and gets pulled[emoji849]

Ironically, from what I've seen, Baker's had to spend more time defending the fact that he let Scherzer go out and start the 7th inning.

But spend any amount of time listening to DC sports talk and it gives you an idea of how many people truly care about the Nats as opposed to the Redskins and Capitals.

They are #3 in town, IMO.

First of all, no doubt the Redskins are no. 1. But the fact that their owner also owns the two AM radio sports stations in town obviously influences how much air time they get.

Second, while the die-hard Caps fans are extremely intense and loyal, I think there are a lot more fans that follow the Nationals closely than fans who follow the Caps closely.

In any event, I feel sorry for those fans who really care about the Nats, regardless of exactly how many there are. I know quite a few.

Archived