Congratulations Nationals on Another Winning Season

weams

I mean, I realize that it was great for the Orioles to have a market all the way down to Atlanta, but let's get real, how long was that going to last? The DC market is one of the biggest in the country, and yes, it stretches down to Atlanta. It was inevitable that somebody would jump in. And there may be some fiercely loyal Orioles fans, but let's be real, if there's a team right next to where you live, or in between where you live and the former team, you'll probably pick the team in your market. I just don't see many people in Richmond, VA still going for the Orioles. Yes, if the Orioles had put together a dynasty and the Nationals stayed as cellar dwellers, the Orioles could have kept that market, but we all know that probably wasn't happening. The NL East is pretty weak right now, so I don't see the Nationals keeping their dominance forever, but they'll always be a much bigger market than Baltimore.
My position has always been that: a) I understand that MLB has a full-fledged baseball monopoly and Angelos leveraged that to the greatest extent possible to extract concessions from the Nats and MLB. but b) it makes no logical sense to have one team in a large two-city market, and in the smaller of the two cities at that. It would be like having a team in Oakland but none in Frisco. Or a team in Newark but not in Manhattan or Brooklyn or Queens or the Bronx.
If anything, I could see an expansion team in Charlotte, or Northern Virginia at some point if the league expands.
I would certainly hope they'd put five or six teams in New York and another in Chicago and Houston and one in Montreal and San Juan and Monterrey and Mexico City and Austin and Portland and Vancouver before they think about a third team in the DC-Baltimore-NoVA market.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Odd I don't recall any skins fans mocking the Ravens fans when the skins beat them recently.

No do I.

I predicted a hard close game, and some posters said it was going to be a blowout.

Heck, thats their opinion and no biggie.

Bottom line, we the game could have gone either way, just glad the skins won, no reason to gloat about it.

Season isn't over yet.

I mean, I realize that it was great for the Orioles to have a market all the way down to Atlanta, but let's get real, how long was that going to last? The DC market is one of the biggest in the country, and yes, it stretches down to Atlanta. It was inevitable that somebody would jump in. And there may be some fiercely loyal Orioles fans, but let's be real, if there's a team right next to where you live, or in between where you live and the former team, you'll probably pick the team in your market. I just don't see many people in Richmond, VA still going for the Orioles.

Yes, if the Orioles had put together a dynasty and the Nationals stayed as cellar dwellers, the Orioles could have kept that market, but we all know that probably wasn't happening. The NL East is pretty weak right now, so I don't see the Nationals keeping their dominance forever, but they'll always be a much bigger market than Baltimore.

If anything, I could see an expansion team in Charlotte, or Northern Virginia at some point if the league expands.

Orioles never had a market down to Atlanta. It went as far as Charlotte which is a seperate market along with Eastern Carolina. But the catch is.. Orioles never had good command of the market in NC, it kinda died out after Norfolk area.

The irony here is you are talking about how nobody from Richmond is coming up for the Orioles anymore.. well the Nats harmed that. Another side effect of the Nats coming in.. was places like Hagerstown, MD area (and Franklin County, PA) which was majority Orioles fans became a split fan base now. Also the DC TV market contains Frederick and Hagerstown and if MASN deal goes bye bye, Orioles are gonna lose more fans because I have a feeling the Nats are gonna be vindictive.

There are markets that MLB will never touch when putting new teams in.. Miami, Philly, Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas will never have a team put in the area or the Rays would have been in one of them already.

Orioles never had a market down to Atlanta. It went as far as Charlotte which is a seperate market along with Eastern Carolina. But the catch is.. Orioles never had good command of the market in NC, it kinda died out after Norfolk area.

The irony here is you are talking about how nobody from Richmond is coming up for the Orioles anymore.. well the Nats harmed that. Another side effect of the Nats coming in.. was places like Hagerstown, MD area (and Franklin County, PA) which was majority Orioles fans became a split fan base now. Also the DC TV market contains Frederick and Hagerstown and if MASN deal goes bye bye, Orioles are gonna lose more fans because I have a feeling the Nats are gonna be vindictive.

There are markets that MLB will never touch when putting new teams in.. Miami, Philly, Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas will never have a team put in the area or the Rays would have been in one of them already.

I live near Hagerstown and I spend a lot of time in Frederick. I never see Nats fans. Lots of O's fans. I can't think of a single time recently when I've seen a Nats fan. Maybe Nats fans just don't wear their team's gear like O's fans do. Or they aren't here.

I live near Hagerstown and I spend a lot of time in Frederick. I never see Nats fans. Lots of O's fans. I can't think of a single time recently when I've seen a Nats fan. Maybe Nats fans just don't wear their team's gear like O's fans do. Or they aren't here.

Heck I've seen a guy out and about that rocks the Walgreens hat and that is down here.

Maybe the ones around here are ashamed that they share a logo with Walgreens.
I actually said "sweet Walgreens hat" to him once. He wasn't amused.

I saw one tossed into a dig the other day. Behind a fence.

Yes, deep in the soil (the soil, the soil, the soil, the soil!).

The issue I have with the Nationals fans is they were so quick to turn on the Orioles. Soon as the nats come to town it's like the O's are dead to them. It is frustrating because they are they are the same people who helped sell out Camden Yards for the first 7-8 years it was open. They had their Ripken Jerseys and watched HTS every night. I don't get why you can't like both teams? They play 4 games a year?

14 years of losing had a lot to do with that. Before the losing streak Angelos was sitting on a pot of gold called The Streak and the novelty of Camden Yards. Since 2012 the Washington Nationals have averaged 91.6 wins per year and have had three seasons of 95 or more wins during that period. Orioles have averaged just over 88 wins and have one season of 95 or greater. I think if you parsed the relationship between winning and attendance you would find that the majority of the greater Nats attendance is explained by wins and a new stadium.

14 years of losing had a lot to do with that. Before the losing streak Angelos was sitting on a pot of gold called The Streak and the novelty of Camden Yards. Since 2012 the Washington Nationals have averaged 91.6 wins per year and have had three seasons of 95 or more wins during that period. Orioles have averaged just over 88 wins and have one season of 95 or greater. I think if you parsed the relationship between winning and attendance you would find that the majority of the greater Nats attendance is explained by wins and a new stadium.

That's why we have MASN and take all of their TV Money

Actually, it's completely because of location.

Actually, it's completely because of location.

Weams, when are you going to learn, facts do not win discussion points. :):):)

As for Mr. Ohfan67, its actually 88.8, which isn't that far from 91.6

In fact, in 5 year total, they only won 14 more games, which really isn't that much of a difference maker, unless you just wanted to complain.

Weams, when are you going to learn, facts do not win discussion points. :):):)

In fact, in 5 year total, they only won 14 more games, which really isn't that much of a difference maker, unless you just wanted to complain.

The fun fact is that attendance was higher for the 81 season in 2015 than the 89 win season in 2016.

Weams, when are you going to learn, facts do not win discussion points. :) :):)

I LOL'ed at that. I'd give you rep for that if I could

Archived