Trade Britton

25 Nuggets

Exactly. Britton's value is higher right now than anyone could have imagined. It's looking like the Cubs and the Indians will be in the WS. The trades they made for Miller and Chapman look like very good for both of them. If we can trade Britton and get three, high end, mlb ready talent, then we have to do it. I know it's crazy and you won't here our FO talk about it, but they will be feeling the market out. Getting 3 cheap, productive players is how you re-sign Manny and Schoop.

Just for fun, this is what the offseason is all about:

Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, Ubaldo, Miley Mendez in AAA

O'day, Brach, Givens, Hart, Hunter(2/6), Drake, Gallardo

vs RHP

1. Kim LF L

2. Jones CF R

3. Davis 1B L

4. Machado 3B R

5. Mazara RF L

6. Schoop 2B R

7. Gallo DH L

8. Hardy SS R

9. Sisco C L

Joseph, Flaherty, Mancini, Rickard

If the Rangers, Cubs or Dodgers make an outlandish offer for Britton I agree you have to pull the trigger, but I don't think it will happen. There are a lot of good relievers in baseball right now, and an expensive (in terms of dollars and prospects) closer is a luxury only the wealthy teams may go after.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Cardinals don't make dumb trades for expensive players they don't need. They already have a good closer in Seung Hwan Oh and probably have others in the minors that could fill his shoes. The Cubs, Dodgers or Yankees might target Britton, but a poorer well-run club like the Cardinals? I don't see it.

I think that top teams see the value of two closers. Especially a lefty Andrew Miller Clone.

It's looking like the Cubs and the Indians will be in the WS. The trades they made for Miller and Chapman look like very good for both of them.

Or maybe the Dodgers in the WS? ;) But they have Kenley Jansen, the best reliever in the NL this season, so the point still holds.

To the Dodgers for Cody Bellenger, Josh Sborz, Brendan Davis, and Micah Johnson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Miller just won the ALCS MVP. Jansen shut down the nats in game 5 of ALDS. Chapman's team is still in it. Britton has a shot at the AL CY. Kimbrel helped BOS to the playoffs.

Conincidence that the 4 most dominant relievers helped their teams to the playoffs. These guys value will never be higher than this year. Hopefully we get blown away in a trade.

Andrew Miller just won the ALCS MVP. Jansen shut down the nats in game 5 of ALDS. Chapman's team is still in it. Britton has a shot at the AL CY. Kimbrel helped BOS to the playoffs.

Conincidence that the 4 most dominant relievers helped their teams to the playoffs. These guys value will never be higher than this year. Hopefully we get blown away in a trade.

But like others have said, Melancon, Chapman and Jansen are free agents this season. Why pay in prospects when you can just pay money to a free agent? This is especially true as Britton is about to become expensive. The Orioles will have to match up with a contender that is rich in prospects and able to afford Britton's rising salary. It could happen, but I don't want to see the O's trade Britton in the offseason unless they get an offer they can't refuse. Trading Britton is something of a rebuild move, not a move a contender would make.

But like others have said, Melancon, Chapman and Jansen are free agents this season. Why pay in prospects when you can just pay money to a free agent? This is especially true as Britton is about to become expensive. The Orioles will have to match up with a contender that is rich in prospects and able to afford Britton's rising salary. It could happen, but I don't want to see the O's trade Britton in the offseason unless they get an offer they can't refuse. Trading Britton is something of a rebuild move, not a move a contender would make.

I'm only for trading Britton unless we get blown away by a 3 player MLB ready package. Then take the saved money and lock up Manny and Schoop. That's not rebuilding. That's extending our "window". Britton's name only pops up because his value is at an unprecedented high and we can extend our window from the next 2-3 years to the next 5-6 in one huge move.

I'd make Oday the closer. I'd use Givens and Brach in the high leverage situations in the 6th-8th innings. We found are Lefty in Hart. I'd bring back Hunter to provide stability in the 6th/7th. Plus I love our bullpen prospects.

Oliver Drake MLB

Jason Garcia AAA

Mike Wright AAA

Tanner Scott AA

Jesus Liranzo AA

Garret Cleavinger AA

Ryan Mesisenger AA

We're locked into Oday. So give him clean 9th innings and not run up Givens or Brach's arb numbers by closing. Then use these up and coming guys to get to the big three.

To the Dodgers for Cody Bellenger, Josh Sborz, Brendan Davis, and Micah Johnson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some details on this one:

Cody Bellinger - 21, LH 1B/OF in AAA. Current top prospect in the organization and #31 overall on MLB's top 100. OPSed .843 for Tulsa, with 23 HR, before spending limited time in OKC. Son of Clay Bellinger, and 6'4" with a good reputation at 1B. It says he can play OF at the MLB level, but it sure seems like the Chris Davis situation.

Josh Sborz - 22, RH SP in AA. #15 prospect in LA. Did not start games last year after graduating to Tulsa. MVP of the College World Series in 2015 (Virginia), he is a robust 6'3", 225 and primarily fastball (60) and slider (55).

Brendon Davis - 19, RH SS/3B in A. #18 prospect in LA. Another tall prospect (6'4") with a real skinny frame (165 lbs) that is very raw. One red flag is that he "lacks typical middle-infield quickness". Project.

Micah Johnson - 25, LH 2B/OF in AAA. #21 prospect in LA. OPSed .677 in the PCL with OKC last season. Projects as a lead-off man with exceptional SB ability (84 SB in 2013) and good base-running skills; however, you can't steal first base. He's also probably more of a fit in CF, which is a position change at age 25.

Now, the Dodgers have Kenley Jansen and that lowers leverage, especially if they win the World Series and everybody wants him back. If they don't retain him, I think the Orioles can do a little better, especially with a rich Dodgers farm system. They have six players in the overall top 100 list (Bellinger, Jose de Leon, Alex Verdugo, Willie Calhoun, Yadier Alvarez, Yusniel Diaz). What the Orioles could do, is play the Dodgers off the Giants while we see if they resign Jansen. There are a lot of options here.

If you ask me right now, I will say I do not expect the Orioles to trade Zach Britton. Losing him next season probably costs the team 4-5 wins. Then again, 2017 Britton probably does not do what 2016 Britton did anyway. So it's a topic for discussion. Give us a proposal and see how the board rates it!

Also, please make it sensible. I want realistic options. And please keep things cordial. No "Orioles aren't trading him so why bother" nonsense -- this is just a fun exercise.

You don't trade special talent you sign him to an extension. Did the yankees trade Rivera? no.. do you trade the best reliever on the planet since him? no.

same with manny.

Trade everyone else if you need brach, givens, etc. you keep the special talents.

You don't trade special talent you sign him to an extension. Did the yankees trade Rivera? no.. do you trade the best reliever on the planet since him? no.

same with manny.

Trade everyone else if you need brach, givens, etc. you keep the special talents.

So you think the Orioles' and Yankees' situations are analogous than?

Best case for us is that Cubs, Rangers and Dodgers lose out on Chapman and Jansen. I'm not worried about Melancon because he's not in the same category as Britton, Miller, Chapman, Jansen. Those three teams have good farm systems and mlb ready talent to trade for. Dream scenario for us if we wanted to trade Britton would be:

Chapman-NYY

Jansen-DET, WASH

Then we could get the Cubs, Dodgers and maybe the Rangers, in a bidding war.

Best case for us is that Cubs, Rangers and Dodgers lose out on Chapman and Jansen. I'm not worried about Melancon because he's not in the same category as Britton, Miller, Chapman, Jansen. Those three teams have good farm systems and mlb ready talent to trade for. Dream scenario for us if we wanted to trade Britton would be:

Chapman-NYY

Jansen-DET, WASH

I thought the Astros were a perfect fit last year and I still think they would be a good fit.

Chapman-NYY

Jansen-DET, WASH

The only problem there is, I'm not interested in a Chapman return to New York.

Archived