Trade Britton

25 Nuggets

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, that didn't work. Page three and nobody wants to have a shot at this? Give me a deal so we can rate it!

I laid out three possible deals on page 2. The one I like the best is trading him to Texas.

Texas gets: Britton (2nd in Cy Young 2016)

Orioles get:

Nomar Mazara RF. Possible AL ROY

Joey Gallo 1B/3B/COF. Top 10 prospect in MLB pre-2016. Had a down year.

Yohander Mendez LHP. #55 prospect in MLB now. Just about MLB ready.

That would be a haul. Probably a bit much, but I don't think we even entertain the idea unless we're blown away like this. This would be a must do for the O's. It would plug three immediate holes. SP, RF, DH.

Texas also has Profar and Deshields, that would fit here. I think Profar is out of options. I don't know how much hype he still has in Tex. I'd probably still pull the trigger on

Profar

Gallo

Mendez

Texas appears to be the best fit. Recent playoff runs. Might view Britton as that last piece to a WS. Lots of MLB ready young guys and a good farm system behind that.

Time to get blasted by everyone. How about Andrew McCutchen for Zach? Put him in right and lead off.

Welcome!!! You should not be blasted by no fan. Sit and chat awhile. ;

It was a cool and lonely breezy afternoon

(How does it feel when you've got no food ?)

You could feel it cause it was the month of June

So I left my gate and went out for a walk

As I pass the dreadlocks' camp I heard them say

Well, that didn't work. Page three and nobody wants to have a shot at this? Give me a deal so we can rate it!

I think the difficulty is finding a partner and an acceptable price. Just take the deals the Yankees made at the deadline for Chapman to the Cubs and Miller to the Indians. Chapman netted one phenom in Glyber Torres (19 yr old SS), a legit 22 yr old OF top 100 prospect in Billy McKinney and two serviceable pieces in Adam Warren (29 yr old RH) and Rashad Crawford, a 23 yr old OF. Keep in mind that Chapman belongs to the Cubs for 3 months and he becomes a FA. Cubs do not even get a pick.

Andrew Miller is continuing to be used by Indians Manager Terry Francona, as a hammer as if to say to MLB, "look what you can do with a high leverage pitcher if you use em...wink wink,". He netted the Yankees Clint Frazier a near ready top 100 OF prospect who could make the Yankees opening day lineup as early as next yr. They also got Justus Sheffield, a top 100 LH with plenty of upside, currently residing in AA. They got two other arms in AAA starter Ben Heller and AA reliever J P Feyerisen. Miller is under contract for $9M for each of the next two years. Thats a pretty good deal for the Indians but another hefty haul by the Yankees.

I personally believe a case can be made that Britton is better than either Chapman or Miller. Not much but he is younger, and has simply had more success in the same role and will be cheaper over the next two years than Miller. So the starting questions for me is what should the Orioles expect to get in return? And is there anyone who would or could pay that price.

I think the Orioles could comfortably ask for the following:

2/3 top 100 top youngsters. Top 10 ...we will take two. Top 25-30....need 3 top 100 players. Ideally if it was three the package would be a pitcher, OF and SS. So using the moves above I would ask for Glyber Torres, Justus Sheffield and Clint Frazier.

2/3 upside arms. Bill Heller, Adam Warren

Not realistic of course as that is a combination of the package the Yankees got for moving BOTH Miller and Chapman. But to your original question, hell yes I would trade Britton. Not because I want to and not because I have to, but if I could get what the Yankees got for both of their guys from someone it would be foolish to not do it.

The question is would anyone pay that price? If Miller and Chapman pitch their clubs to the WS...they just might.

Good research and good job overall. I'd like to think we could get a better deal with Rangers or Cubs.

The Rangers already have two good closers in Dyson and Jeffress, though I guess they could move them to be 7th and 8th inning guys if they really wanted Britton.

Chapmen, Jansen, and Meloncan are all free agents this off season. Nobody's going to be giving away the farm for Britton right now, even if he wins the Cy Young.

Good point. A blockbuster Britton trade would presumably have to happen with a team that couldn't land one of these guys.

Texas gets: Britton (2nd in Cy Young 2016)

Orioles get:

Nomar Mazara RF. Possible AL ROY

Joey Gallo 1B/3B/COF. Top 10 prospect in MLB pre-2016. Had a down year.

Yohander Mendez LHP. #55 prospect in MLB now. Just about MLB ready.

That would be a haul. Probably a bit much, but I don't think we even entertain the idea unless we're blown away like this. This would be a must do for the O's. It would plug three immediate holes. SP, RF, DH.

Texas also has Profar and Deshields, that would fit here. I think Profar is out of options. I don't know how much hype he still has in Tex. I'd probably still pull the trigger on

Profar

Gallo

Mendez

Mazara fits a huge need as a MLB-ready RF that might hit 30 HR in Camden Yards next season (and might even have an OBP better than .330). Definitely a good base-line.

If Mazara is included my guess is Texas would want Gallo to fill in at COF. Maybe Profar, whose shine has come off, can be the second piece with Mendez.

It'd be a blockbuster but I can see it happening. The only drawback is potentially facing Britton in the AL Playoffs. :o

Britton for Randall Grichuk, Alex reyes, Edmundo Sosa, and Carson Kelly

Grichuk gives us a outfielder under control for three more years and rather cheap. He plays center right now but could play right if they want to keep Jones in center and then move to center later on. He has been a solid player with around a 3 war as well.

Reyes is a top prospect that is maybe can be used as a starter at AA or AAA next year then brought up to the pen for the stretch run and be a full time starter for us in 2018 when Ubaldo, Miley, and Gallardo are done. He has a power arm who had 100 innings this year so start him in minors and get 100 innings or so then add another 20-30 out of pen for major league team to have him ready for 2018.

Sosa is another young SS prospect that is about 1-2 years away so he could be a guy to take over at SS when Hardy leaves. He has a good bat and has plus speed. He is a smaller guy so won't hit for much power but could be 10 homer guy with 20 steals type player.

Kelley is a major league ready catcher at this point and could be a nice platoon for us with Joseph. He got a small cup of coffee for the Cardinals this season and could be a guy that could play this season for us. He was a pitcher in high school so has a top level arm and has learned to catch. From teh reports he seems to be a Buck type of guy at catcher as well as is vocal behind the plate.

I doubt the Cardinals would trade Grichuk alone much less in a package for Britton. The Orioles are not going to get young players that are already significantly contributing at the Major League level for Britton, at least not from a thrifty team like the Cardinals.

I doubt the Cardinals would trade Grichuk alone much less in a package for Britton. The Orioles are not going to get young players that are already significantly contributing at the Major League level for Britton, at least not from a thrifty team like the Cardinals.

You are nuts if you don't think Britton brings back anything the Os want from someone who looks to compete.

You are nuts if you don't think Britton brings back anything the Os want from someone who looks to compete.

Exactly. Britton's value is higher right now than anyone could have imagined. It's looking like the Cubs and the Indians will be in the WS. The trades they made for Miller and Chapman look like very good for both of them. If we can trade Britton and get three, high end, mlb ready talent, then we have to do it. I know it's crazy and you won't here our FO talk about it, but they will be feeling the market out. Getting 3 cheap, productive players is how you re-sign Manny and Schoop.

Just for fun, this is what the offseason is all about:

Tillman, Gausman, Bundy, Ubaldo, Miley Mendez in AAA

O'day, Brach, Givens, Hart, Hunter(2/6), Drake, Gallardo

vs RHP

1. Kim LF L

2. Jones CF R

3. Davis 1B L

4. Machado 3B R

5. Mazara RF L

6. Schoop 2B R

7. Gallo DH L

8. Hardy SS R

9. Sisco C L

Joseph, Flaherty, Mancini, Rickard

The Cardinals don't make dumb trades for expensive players they don't need. They already have a good closer in Seung Hwan Oh and probably have others in the minors that could fill his shoes. The Cubs, Dodgers or Yankees might target Britton, but a poorer well-run club like the Cardinals? I don't see it.

Archived