Orioles discussing a qualifying offer to Wieters again this offseason

Tony-OH

I think $17M for Wieters would severely handicap this team's financial flexibility. See my thread about trying to fill out the roster for $10M.

I'm a big Matt Wieters fan but I think it's time to move on. He's not worth sacrificing some of our other young talent that we need to pay more to lock up.

But you don't know how much Angelos is willing to spend. He might be willing to spend 30 million to fill out the roster above last years payroll or he might want to cut salary. Who knows.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But you don't know how much Angelos is willing to spend. He might be willing to spend 30 million to fill out the roster above last years payroll or he might want to cut salary. Who knows.

I hope to hell the guy who's job it is to decide knows. Do you think Duquette will hand out a QO without knowing what his budget ceiling is and what the consequences are whether it's accepted or declined?

I'd consider giving him a QO now it if I were DD if you think there's a good chance he might still have value to a team at the deadline. Perhaps there was interest in Matt this past deadline that gave you hope there might be once again. If that is the case, then it's hedging your bets somewhat to leave that door open.

I only give him the QO if there's some handshake deal he won't accept it. But even then, if no one offers him a decent contract he comes back and takes the QO. I really don't want him back unless it's a cheap 2 year deal.

Why would Wieters grant that handshake deal? That would be pretty dumb on his part.

Also, I think the player has to accept or decline the QO before free agency begins.

Why would Wieters grant that handshake deal? That would be pretty dumb on his part.

Also, I think the player has to accept or decline the QO before free agency begins.

While they do have to decide very early in the process they do have a period of time in which they can legally receive offers from other teams before they decline or accept the QO.

$17 mil is a lot for a 700 OPS catcher with I guess slightly above average defense, but O's don't have many options. I really don't think Sisco is ready and may never be good enough on defense for Buck to play him at catcher. Caleb is a AAAA guy, he should be a backup or the guy you bring up from AAA when someone goes down.

I think we sign a backup, offer Weiters the QO, and if he turns it down, sign a FA catcher and let Sisco battle it out with Caleb and other FAs to earn the starting spot.

I don't think it's crazy that some team could offer Weiters 4 years/60mil or something along those lines.

Is Caleb the best? no, but injury and 2016 performance may indicate that he'd be ok but with consistant playing time, not sitting on the bench for weeks. others have done well with more consistent playing time so this isn't unheard of

i'd offer the QO but if it's a choice between weithers and a good right fielder that fits our needs, i'd go with RF as we may have options in house at catcher. we don't in the outfield it seems

Is Caleb the best? no, but injury and 2016 performance may indicate that he'd be ok but with consistant playing time, not sitting on the bench for weeks. others have done well with more consistent playing time so this isn't unheard of

i'd offer the QO but if it's a choice between weithers and a good right fielder that fits our needs, i'd go with RF as we may have options in house at catcher. we don't in the outfield it seems

I do think that if Caleb started 115 games next year he would end up with at least a half dozen RBI.

I only give him the QO if there's some handshake deal he won't accept it. But even then, if no one offers him a decent contract he comes back and takes the QO. I really don't want him back unless it's a cheap 2 year deal.

A free agent has one week after the QO is made to accept or deny the offer. He can't just come back later and take them up on it.

And a week isn't long enough to thoroughly explore the market.

Matt Wieters is younger now than Russell Martin when the Blue Jays gave him his 5 years and $82m. And he's a year older than Brian McCann when he got 5 years and $85m from the Yankees.

Of course Wieters isn't quite up to that caliber of catcher (at least, offensively), but that can be debated. I would expect Boras to get a 4 or 5 year deal for him, though having a QO hanging over his head would definitely hurt his leverage.

I'm about 50/50 on it. Since it seems like Ole Pete is going to spend money, I say let's put the best team together that we can, worst case scenario Wieters comes back for one more ride.

Give him the QO and offer him 3/36-38. If he signs elsewhere so be it

Archived