How much will Chance Sisco influence the 2017 roster?

wildcard

As Tony noted and you also expanded on, Caleb Joseph has always been a regular where ever he played. Seldom going for extended periods without playing in a game until this year. He also had the "Groin" injury that did not allow him to get/stay in any type of groove/shape. He missed ALL of June and was used sparingly in August (13 PA's). I am not ready to write him off as the starter, even for Matt Wieters and a four year contract. Save the money

When someone who wildly exceeds expectations falls back to earth I do not expect them to resume soaring.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like I said elsewhere - give me Castro.

Wieters (30) - 87 OPS+, 88 wRC+, 1.4 oWAR

Castro (29) - 88 OPS+, 88 wRC+, 1.2 oWAR

Iannetta (33) - 75 OPS+, 77 wRC+, 0.9 oWAR

Suzuki (32) - 90 OPS+, 86 wRC+, 1.1 oWAR

Castro is the youngest and also probably the best defensive catcher at this point in their careers. I don't anticipate Iannetta to bounce back at his age and Suzuki has been a half win player for two seasons.

There will be a lot of teams next season with a worse starting catcher than Castro. (or Wieters)

Agree that Castro is maybe the most desirable. However, in case folks missed it, see the below from Melewski, in which he claims Castro is already holding three offers.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/11/notes-on-defensive-metrics-mark-trumbo-and-jason-castro.html

MLBTR has him at 2/15, but anyone thinking he gets a decent amount more than that, maybe to include a third year? I'm wondering if that wouldn't price us out, in terms of both cost and years. I'm still pretty firmly in the one year bridge deal camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When someone who wildly exceeds expectations falls back to earth I do not expect them to resume soaring.

His defense/offense for about 100 Games a year will not make or break the Orioles in 2017. IMO A four year deal with an AAV of over $14 Million for an aging Matt Wieters may very well hurt more. Matt is the same age as Caleb but will be more costly. I would lean towards the grounded Caleb, as you put it, then the Joe Mauer with power that never developed.

His defense/offense for about 100 Games a year will not make or break the Orioles in 2017. IMO A four year deal with an AAV of over $14 Million for an aging Matt Wieters may very well hurt more. Matt is the same age as Caleb but will be more costly. I would lean towards the grounded Caleb, as you put it, then the Joe Mauer with power that never developed.

At no point have I suggested signing Wieters to a four year deal.

I have not advocated signing him to any deal this offseason.

I do think that 100 games of Joseph could be the difference between a WC appearance.

At no point have I suggested signing Wieters to a four year deal.

I have not advocated signing him to any deal this offseason.

I do think that 100 games of Joseph could be the difference between a WC appearance.

I never stated/said you advocated signing or not sign Matt Wieters.

Are you stating that if Caleb Joseph gets 100 games in 2017 the Orioles WILL NOT make the playoffs???

I never stated/said you advocated signing or not sign Matt Wieters.

Are you stating that if Caleb Joseph gets 100 games in 2017 the Orioles WILL NOT make the playoffs???

I am saying that 100 appearances by Joseph could make a number of games that would otherwise be wins, losses. Those additional losses could be enough to eliminate the Orioles from the playoffs.

Keep in mind I didn't think the 2016 club was playoff bound so I am certainly not making anything close to a prediction on the Orioles' record next season.

Basically I think giving him substantial playing time is likely to hurt the teams record.

I am saying that 100 appearances by Joseph could make a number of games that would otherwise be wins, losses. Those additional losses could be enough to eliminate the Orioles from the playoffs.

Keep in mind I didn't think the 2016 club was playoff bound so I am certainly not making anything close to a prediction on the Orioles' record next season.

Basically I think giving him substantial playing time is likely to hurt the teams record.

At least you are on the record with your opinion.

I think if Sisco can get a to a average-above average defensive skill level he will become the starter, maybe even later this year. I have only read what I can on him and have never seen him in person. But I really like the idea of Kurt Suzuki as a 1 yr stopgap with an option and pena backing him up. Caleb has been good defensively but you can't have an automatic out in the lineup just to have slightly better defense. But again I'm not Buck Showalter!

I believe he exceeded expectations more defensively than offensively. He always was an ok hitter in the minors Soar offensively, very unlikely. Return to the level he was before Wieters returned, possible. Soaring?? If you expect soaring, you'll be disappointed by all but a select few.

I believe he exceeded expectations more defensively than offensively. He always was an ok hitter in the minors Soar offensively, very unlikely. Return to the level he was before Wieters returned, possible. Soaring?? If you expect soaring, you'll be disappointed by all but a select few.

I consider a 2 win season out of a guy that spend four years in AA soaring.

If Buck really has a "defense first" catcher mindset, I wouldn't expect Sisco behind the plate in 2017 unless it is at the end of the year. You could also see him come up and be used like Mancini was. Lets see how he handles Spring Training and probably Triple A.

Someone mentioned it though...What about seeing how he can do in the outfield? It would cut down on the wear and tear that he would go through as a catcher, which could (would?) reduce his bat potential and/or cause him to miss some time. His athleticism was mentioned as a HUGE plus, so why not see if you can make use of it?

I would non-tender him unless he was hurt and shows recovery. He was that bad.

And he hit 11 HRs the year before.

And suffered a brutal testicular injury in the middle of the year.

Yeah, I know he was having a terrible year before the injury. But I don't think you save that much non-tendering him. And i don't think you toss away a guy who has shown himself to be a fairly adequate backup based on a 132 at bat season marred by a major injury, no matter how bad those 132 ABs were.

If Buck really has a "defense first" catcher mindset, I wouldn't expect Sisco behind the plate in 2017 unless it is at the end of the year. You could also see him come up and be used like Mancini was. Lets see how he handles Spring Training and probably Triple A.

Someone mentioned it though...What about seeing how he can do in the outfield? It would cut down on the wear and tear that he would go through as a catcher, which could (would?) reduce his bat potential and/or cause him to miss some time. His athleticism was mentioned as a HUGE plus, so why not see if you can make use of it?

I believe he played SS in HS so the athleticism is there. I think he could handle the OF.

Archived