OK, Explain to me how this works

wildcard

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If payroll wasn't going to continue to climb they should have started rebuilding last year.

I'm comfortable with the decision to try to contend in 2016, because we did. I think we have a decent chance to contend in 2017 without a massive payroll increase, though it will take a clever offseason and some step-ups in performance by certain players to do it.

No no... you have it wrong. The OH wants to EXTEND Manny and pay him more money this offseason, on top of all the arb raises and bringing in a middle tier FA bat.

You can extend Manny this offseason without having to pay him more than the 10-12M he'll get in 2017. You can free up money by trading Britton and, to a lesser extent, Jimenez. You then will have money for "middle tier free agents", paying Arb and contractual raises, and keep payroll similar to 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is not a savings with the Arbitration Increases for:

[TABLE]

<colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3949;width:81pt" width="108"> </colgroup><tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: xl63, width: 108]Brad Brach

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Zach Britton[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Ryan Flaherty[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Kevin Gausman[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Caleb Joseph[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Manny Machado[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]T.J. McFarland[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Jonathan Schoop[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Chris Tillman[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Vance Worley

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Are they going to extend arbitration to Worley and McFarland?

With Manny, Jones, Tillman, and Britton on the team? Those are alot of prime players.

I think Britton stays this year but is traded next off season. His raise next year will put him at 14-17m per year. Boras will probably not extend him without going through the FA process and the O's likely lose him if that happens. So next off season is a good time to trade him.

Jones is signed through 2018. He will be 33 August of 2018. The O's will probably still want him but probably not at the annual salary he is getting now. Maybe a three year extension that decreases in value every year. He will move to right field at some point. JMO

Archived