Roch: O's high on Frank Viola as pitching coach: Mills as bullpen coach

wildcard

Roch was just on Wall to Wall baseball and said while reviewing the pitching coach candidates that the O's are high on former Cy Young winner Frank Viola who has been the Mets AAA pitching coach since 2014. He has helped develop several of the Mets young starting pitchers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/31/sports/baseball/frank-viola-helping-mets-prospect-noah-syndergaard-become-a-better-pitcher.html

Mills I can say is a guy that I talked with in Sarasota a couple years back, and he's definitely one of those guys that loves palling around with the fans and is very friendly and approachable.

If we're looking for another guy like Elrod was that's both a sentimental favorite and a guy that will be friendly to the fans in much the same vein, Mills is your guy.

Mills I can say is a guy that I talked with in Sarasota a couple years back, and he's definitely one of those guys that loves palling around with the fans and is very friendly and approachable.

If we're looking for another guy like Elrod was that's both a sentimental favorite and a guy that will be friendly to the fans in much the same vein, Mills is your guy.

Yeah but is he any good? (I would say he probably is).

If Viola was instrumental in developing the Mets' starting staff, go for it! One caveat though, many of them got injured. But I believe that is more of a baseball-wide problem than with particular organizations.

If Viola was instrumental in developing the Mets' starting staff, go for it! One caveat though, many of them got injured. But I believe that is more of a baseball-wide problem than with particular organizations.

I mean, when we had Elrod as bullpen catcher, it was kind of a novelty position for him, no? I know he'd do some catching (he scaled it back a bit as he got older, as I recall), but I'm not sure how much impact he really had in terms of developing any players?

Mills pitched in some big spots and has done some roving coaching work, so he'd at least provide something in that regard, I would assume.

I'm guessing both would be good, too. Millsy was a very intelligent pitcher. And to be honest, I loved him even more after the brawl in NYC. It's a guilty pleasure. I'm in therapy talking about it (not literally, but I probably should be...). But I found Mills' shot on Strawberry to be unhealthily satisfying.

Aside from that, though, Mills was here during our ascent throughout the 1990s. He pretty much anchored the pen for more than one of those years. I know his career was "merely" solid. But I have nothing but great memories of Mills.

Viola looks great on paper. If they think he brings what they want, great. I believe in the vision still. I don't know what we're going to do this offseason. But I suspect it will make some sense, and reflect some unconventional thinking. Now that his protege has won a World Series, maybe he'll be extra motivated this offseason.

What the hell is taking them so long to hire a pitching coach? I obviously want them to get this right, but I swear we move slower than every other team in baseball when it comes to making any kind of offseason move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the hell is taking them so long to hire a pitching coach? I obviously want them to get this right, but I swear we move slower than every other team in baseball when it comes to making any kind of offseason move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the rush? Not like they need one in the next few months.

Archived