Pearce/Joyce RF/DH platoon; Alex Avila catching platoon with Joseph

Obando

We know the O's most likely won't make a major splash in FA, and arguably their biggest needs are at RF & C. I think a LF platoon of Kim & Rickard is very likely (not to mention cost-effective). However, there are a number of directions we could go in for RF. If we re-sign Trumbo, I would hope it's strictly as a DH, and occasional fill-in at 1B & RF. But I think if we want to get the most productive, cost effective solution for RF, the way to go is a platoon of Steve Pearce and Matt Joyce, both of whom are free agents and shouldn't require big contracts. I would be fine with Josh Reddick instead of Matt Joyce, as he would offer better defense and similar, if not better, offensive production. However, Reddick has always had trouble staying healthy for a full season, and he will most likely require a bigger contract than Joyce. Joyce and Reddick both have good power, but Joyce is much better at drawing walks and getting on base, which we are in dire need of.

As for a catcher to platoon with Caleb Joseph that should be a solid 1 year stopgap until Chance Sisco is ready, I would go with Alex Avila. Avila bats LH, while Joseph bats RH, and Avila has always been a pretty strong defender, not to mention he is pretty good at drawing walks and getting on base. He had a very low batting average last year, but he still had a very respectable on base percentage, and he's capable of hitting double digit home runs if he gets at least 300 at bats, especially playing in hitter friendly Camden Yards. And Avila shouldn't require a major commitment, so I could see him signing a 1 year contract for very reasonable dollars.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We know the O's most likely won't make a major splash in FA, and arguably their biggest needs are at RF & C. I think a LF platoon of Kim & Rickard is very likely (not to mention cost-effective). However, there are a number of directions we could go in for RF. If we re-sign Trumbo, I would hope it's strictly as a DH, and occasional fill-in at 1B & RF. But I think if we want to get the most productive, cost effective solution for RF, the way to go is a platoon of Steve Pearce and Matt Joyce, both of whom are free agents and shouldn't require big contracts. I would be fine with Josh Reddick instead of Matt Joyce, as he would offer better defense and similar, if not better, offensive production. However, Reddick has always had trouble staying healthy for a full season, and he will most likely require a bigger contract than Joyce. Joyce and Reddick both have good power, but Joyce is much better at drawing walks and getting on base, which we are in dire need of.

As for a catcher to platoon with Caleb Joseph that should be a solid 1 year stopgap until Chance Sisco is ready, I would go with Alex Avila. Avila bats LH, while Joseph bats RH, and Avila has always been a pretty strong defender, not to mention he is pretty good at drawing walks and getting on base. He had a very low batting average last year, but he still had a very respectable on base percentage, and he's capable of hitting double digit home runs if he gets at least 300 at bats, especially playing in hitter friendly Camden Yards. And Avila shouldn't require a major commitment, so I could see him signing a 1 year contract for very reasonable dollars.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty accurate assessment.

I'd sign Pearce to split with Kim in LF, Reddick for everyday play in RF, and Hundley for C. I don't want to see platoons in both RF and LF.

Why would you want Reddick to play vs. LHP? Incredibly poor vs. LHP in 2016 - we're talking pitcher-worthy numbers (.366 OPS).

Joyce's numbers look good but why so few PA the last few years? His splits look good enough to play full time. Injuries?

He doesn't know when the game starts.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/mlb/2015/5/19/8627549/matt-joyce-late-day-game-night-game-angels-blue-jays?client=safari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you want Reddick to play vs. LHP? Incredibly poor vs. LHP in 2016 - we're talking pitcher-worthy numbers (.366 OPS).

That's a little unfair to Reddick, but just a little. His career OPS against LHers is .640. I agree that we should look at him as a platoon player. And unless something changes as a result of the new CBA, I don't see how you can afford four roster spots for two corner OF platoons.

One thing I'd like to see, if Wieters isn't signed and we end up with an offensively challenged catcher or catching platoon is the development of an emergency catcher who is decent enough that Buck will not be so reluctant to pinch hit for the catcher and have only that emergency receiver on the bench. If I were the Orioles, I'd be telling everyone with hopes but no certainty of landing a spot on the 25-man roster to spend some time this winter with the tools of ignorance.

That's a little unfair to Reddick, but just a little. His career OPS against LHers is .640. I agree that we should look at him as a platoon player. And unless something changes as a result of the new CBA, I don't see how you can afford four roster spots for two corner OF platoons.

One thing I'd like to see, if Wieters isn't signed and we end up with an offensively challenged catcher or catching platoon is the development of an emergency catcher who is decent enough that Buck will not be so reluctant to pinch hit for the catcher and have only that emergency receiver on the bench. If I were the Orioles, I'd be telling everyone with hopes but no certainty of landing a spot on the 25-man roster to spend some time this winter with the tools of ignorance.

I'm with this. I do not want Caleb as the starter.

Didn't realize. Guess I should've looked them up. I always hear about how good a player he is, didn't realize he was Steve Pearce but from the other side.

Why not platoon Jon Jay. He's a better defender than Riddick, has better OBP, and will be cheaper.

Archived