Pearce/Joyce RF/DH platoon; Alex Avila catching platoon with Joseph

Obando

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What was wrong with McLouth? We got good value there.

I'm referring to the second full year. There's a pattern of rehabilitated outfielders doing much better as late-season performers than as full-time players the next season.

Why not platoon Jon Jay. He's a better defender than Riddick, has better OBP, and will be cheaper.

I'm all for Jon Jay as well. As long as he's healthy, he'd be a great fit as a lead off hitter and RF, not to mention he can also play CF. He should be a good cost effective option for us, unless prices get out of control.

I would also see what it would take to get Adam Eaton from the White Sox. If the cost isn't too crazy, I think he'd be the perfect fit at the top of our lineup, not to mention he's a very good defender and fits the grinder mold that Buck loves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all for Jon Jay as well. As long as he's healthy, he'd be a great fit as a lead off hitter and RF, not to mention he can also play CF. He should be a good cost effective option for us, unless prices get out of control.

I would also see what it would take to get Adam Eaton from the White Sox. If the cost isn't too crazy, I think he'd be the perfect fit at the top of our lineup, not to mention he's a very good defender and fits the grinder mold that Buck loves.

I'd love to get Eaton but I expect he would have to come in a package for Britton.

I like the eaton idea and Jon Jay, but another idea would be getting Markakis back. Another idea would be seeing if the Yankees sign cespedes. We could get Bret Gardner, which I wouldn't be upset about.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but, I think an OF consisting simply of Kim/Jones/Pearce/Rickard would be an above-average, playoff-caliber unit.

Pearce was on his way to a career year with the Rays last year before his injury, plus he's had a lot of success with the O's and his power plays at OPACY.

Rickard should improve on his solid rookie year, his defensive metrics will improve with more consistent PT, he can actually steal some bases, and he can back up Jones in CF.

Kim had a great first year, and I think he'll get more starts, and hopefully start hitting against lefties.

Jones OPS was a bit down last year, but he still had a solid OBP and drilled twenty-nine home runs. He'll be thirty-one and still in his prime.

Am I crazy?

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but, I think an OF consisting simply of Kim/Jones/Pearce/Rickard would be an above-average, playoff-caliber unit.

Pearce was on his way to a career year with the Rays last year before his injury, plus he's had a lot of success with the O's and his power plays at OPACY.

Rickard should improve on his solid rookie year, his defensive metrics will improve with more consistent PT, he can actually steal some bases, and he can back up Jones in CF.

Kim had a great first year, and I think he'll get more starts, and hopefully start hitting against lefties.

Jones OPS was a bit down last year, but he still had a solid OBP and drilled twenty-nine home runs. He'll be thirty-one and still in his prime.

Am I crazy?

That's very poor OF defense.

But the cost for Eaton would be crazy. He's got 5 years of control left and he's a stud. We don't have what it takes to acquire him.

Maybe we could trade Josh Hader, Zach Davies and Jonah Heim for him.

What makes anyone think that Pearce can be healthy

He played zero game in the OF for Tampa, and came to the O's played the OF until his arm fell off

Is he likely to get enough arm strength back to be an even adequate OF'er??

To me he is just another Nolan Reimold, good for a few weeks between trips to the DL

What makes anyone think that Pearce can be healthy

He played zero game in the OF for Tampa, and came to the O's played the OF until his arm fell off

Is he likely to get enough arm strength back to be an even adequate OF'er??

To me he is just another Nolan Reimold, good for a few weeks between trips to the DL

The same Reimold who was been healthy for the last 2 1/2 years?

I like the OP's idea and think it's realistic. I could see

RF: Joyce/Pearce

LF: Kim/Rickard

DH: Alvarez/Mancini

I would not be surprised if we just went with Bourn over Joyce. Cheaper and better defender. Plus he's already been here. Could be a pretty boring offseason, but that might not be a bad thing. I just remember in 2015 when DD tried to fill spots with platoons and it backfired. Even to the point of us having to trade Davies for Parra.

In the long run it might just be better for us to shell the money out to keep Trumbo rather than pay Pearce and another guy, 8-10 million to platoon in RF.

Archived