View Chris Davis' season in a jar!

mobico

I agree that's a really good article. The margin between success and failure in baseball is very small. It's very reasonable to hope that Crush can have a significantly better season in 2017 than he had in 2016, which in certain ways wasn't all that bad (3.0 rWAR, 2.7 fWAR).

I agree that's a really good article. The margin between success and failure in baseball is very small. It's very reasonable to hope that Crush can have a significantly better season in 2017 than he had in 2016, which in certain ways wasn't all that bad (3.0 rWAR, 2.7 fWAR).

There are just a few pitches he needs to swing at and some he needs to not swing at. Love the guy to death, but when he slumps, it's awful to watch

It's all or nothing with Crush. He had his hitting coach here last year, and it failed to make a difference. The good thing for us is that he's a gold glove 1b (yeah I know he didn't win the popular vote, but truth can't be hidden here). The key is to leave him down the order now. There's no way you can leave him in the top 5 any more.

I don't have stats on this. But it seemed that Davis got robbed on called strike 3's so often this year, maybe the most I've seen. Umps just love extending that outside corner on him. Used to happen to Markakis all the time as well.

That doesn't singlehandedly explain his downturn but it's definitely something to remember. But if he makes a slight adjustment to be more aggressive, or even if he just gets less unlucky with the umps, that could help him get a boost.

I don't have stats on this. But it seemed that Davis got robbed on called strike 3's so often this year, maybe the most I've seen. Umps just love extending that outside corner on him. Used to happen to Markakis all the time as well.

That doesn't singlehandedly explain his downturn but it's definitely something to remember. But if he makes a slight adjustment to be more aggressive, or even if he just gets less unlucky with the umps, that could help him get a boost.

I know he got called out on many a called third strike this year. I have seen nothing to indicate that the calls were wrong a disproportionate amount of time.

His defense at 1B made up for his offensive inefficiencies, and contributed quite a bit to pitcher success, especially Zach Britton's with all the ground balls he induced. Defensive metrics and the eyeball test agree on that one and only Mitch Moreland stood in his way of a gold glove.

I don't know why the author waited until the next to last paragraph to say:

"He dealt with hand soreness throughout the season and said himself that "I haven't been myself all season." His hand kept him from turning the bat over, maybe, or from getting backspin, maybe. "

If you are try to analyze the reason for why Davis' hitting fell off in 2017 you would introduce this fact as a major reason much earlier in the article. Not as an after thought that is just sort of mentioned at the end.

I don't know why the author waited until the next to last paragraph to say:

If you are try to analyze the reason for why Davis' hitting fell off in 2017 you would introduce this fact as a major reason much earlier in the article. Not as an after thought that is just sort of mentioned at the end.

My question is, will the hand soreness be a chronic condition the rest of his career, or is it largely a one-time thing that will go away with an offseason of rest and not return? It seems to me that Davis had some problems with his hands in previous seasons, just not as severe. So, I'm not confident the problem won't recur at some level of severity or another.

My question is, will the hand soreness be a chronic condition the rest of his career, or is it largely a one-time thing that will go away with an offseason of rest and not return? It seems to me that Davis had some problems with his hands in previous seasons, just not as severe. So, I'm not confident the problem won't recur at some level of severity or another.

I don't see any hand problems before the 2016 season on this list.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/player-bio/chris-davis/bio

Funny I don't recall any mention of it before last season. Any body have a source?

Archived