I've officially changed my mind- I'd pick Posey if he's there at #4

This guy is simply unbelievable. I'd draft him in a heartbeat, and put him in the field (he can play all positions, not just catcher).

Today he went 3-4 with a triple against NC State's top pitcher (who allowed only 1 run and fanned 10 in 6 innings). For good measure, Posey pitched a shutout 9th with 2 K's for the save.

His 3-4 performance raised his batting average to .473. 200 at-bats 95 hits.

Incredible.

I don't think he'll be there at #4, but you never know...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This guy is simply unbelievable. I'd draft him in a heartbeat, and put him in the field (he can play all positions, not just catcher).

Today he went 3-4 with a triple against NC State's top pitcher (who allowed only 1 run and fanned 10 in 6 innings). For good measure, Posey pitched a shutout 9th with 2 K's for the save.

His 3-4 performance raised his batting average to .473. 200 at-bats 95 hits.

Incredible.

I don't think he'll be there at #4, but you never know...

He won that game in the ninth by himself. That was quite the pitchers dual, and NC State's pitcher has no business being their "Saturday Starter" (he pitched on Friday because the series started yesterday in prep for the ACC Tourney).

I'm willing to bet the Orioles are targeting either Matsuz or Alvarez with that fourth pick. Posey is a talented player, but his position is catcher right now and I don't see Mcphail drafting a player like Posey with Wieters moving along and Snyder already a busted catcher. Alvarez presents an option at 3B/1B that's going to be ready in a season or two. I still think when it's all done with that Matsuz is going to be an Oriole. When you take a look at AAA -- there ain't much. Olson's already up, as is Johnson. Penn ain't coming up anytime soon and the only thing that Liz has done is move himself further down in the pecking order and he's closed to getting beaten out by Tillman, Arietta etc. The Orioles lack pitching depth at the AAA level, and Matsuz would change that. Mcphail knows you win with pitching, so he'll target it early and often. The more pitching you have the better. And everyone is always interested in young pitching, so the problem of having too many young arms isn't an issue. If nothing else, Mcphail has proven through both the Trax and Bedard deals that he knows when a pitcher is ready to be dealt and the right package to deal them for. That's why I think we're going to see a continued run on pitchers for at least one more draft (maybe 2 if we somehow land strasburg).

That's why I'm hoping one of the teams ahead of us take Matusz so that way we can take a position player because I think that they would take Matusz if he's there at 4...

Roger that. I think that if Matusz is gone, we're getting a great position player. I really think we can't lose - even if they throw us a curve and take Crow. He's not my ideal, but I really think this is a draft much deeper than 4 as previously posted / thought.

I think Posey would be higher on my list if I knew for sure we could transition him over the 2B. To me, he sounds like a Craig Biggio type.

I'd look at another comp, as Biggio was a good SB guy... Posey is an average-at-best runner who shouldn't be a base stealer.

However, Posey is certainly a very talented young man, and if he truly could handle multiple positions at the ML level, many teams would value that greatly. I look at him as a .300+ hitter with 15-20 HR's and solid run poduction. He's a gamer, a winner, and should be a darn good pro. A lot to like, but he'll likely be gone by our pick.

Where is all the Posey hate?

I think classifying the views that determine Posey is not the best match for us at pick #4 as 'hate', is a bit strong. From all indications, the worst view here at the Hangout that I've read on Posey is that he'll be a solid ML'er with good gap power... nothing to insinuate hate. With that said, it's possible you have read things I haven't.

I think classifying the views that determine Posey is not the best match for us at pick #4 as 'hate', is a bit strong. From all indications, the worst view here at the Hangout that I've read on Posey is that he'll be a solid ML'er with good gap power... nothing to insinuate hate. With that said, it's possible you have read things I haven't.

Crawdad is just waiting for me to chime in. ;)

You are absolutely correct Greg. There is no hate. Some people realize that Posey just isn't a good match for the Orioles. Scouts have said if Posey was still playing SS he'd be behind the Beckham's in the draft and go somewhere in the middle of the first round. His bat projects well behind the plate, but move him to another position and it's slightly above average.

Clearly, Posey is having a phenomenal season this year. You don't draft players based on one season. You draft players based on their projections. Posey projects very well as a catcher. If he had remained at SS would we be having this conversation? Perhaps, but I think not.

I'm surprised everyone isn't clamoring about Georgia Southern OF'er Chris Shehan. His numbers are just as impressive as Posey's.

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=90359&SPID=10900&ATCLID=1470665&DB_OEM_ID=18700

I say we start the Chris Shehan bandwagon right now. Who's with me? :clap3::clap3::clap3::hearts::hearts::hearts:

I think Posey = Pudge Rodriguez, ultimately...

BAL should draft him if Matusz/Alvarez/Beckham are out of the picture.

That is one comparison I have been thinking for the past month or so, but I am starting to think that a better prediction is Brandon Inge with better batting average.

If you look through the stats, and the accolades at the bottom, he was an all-conference RP and SS, an all american UT player in college, and then was an all-star C in the minors. His defensive stats were ok, but Posey might pass him there too.

I think Posey = Pudge Rodriguez, ultimately...

BAL should draft him if Matusz/Alvarez/Beckham are out of the picture.

Sorry Stotle. I like a lot of what you say here but Pudge just may be the best catcher ever. I wouldn't make that prediction very easily.

Sorry Stotle. I like a lot of what you say here but Pudge just may be the best catcher ever. I wouldn't make that prediction very easily.

No, but he is right. It is a good comparison. Posey's defense is thought to be gold glove caliber. He should hit over .300 every year, and he has a just enough pop to average around 15 HR a year if it develops a bit more.

Pudge had a couple good power years but for the most part, he is a prototypical #2 hitter, with amazing defense and decent speed. That is about what you can expect out of Posey.

The question is, depending on what team drafts him, and he moves positions, what players do you compare him to at those different positions? 1B - Kotchman, Youkilis? SS - Toluwitzki with less power? 3B - Figgins with less speed?

We need a smooth beat and get chill.

I guess my minimalist writing did not express that joke well.

I need to use this on occiaison:

:wedge:

Archived