Look out for the Yankees

wildcard

One of the major reasons that the O's have been able to go to the playoffs in three of the last five years is that the big spending Yankees and Red Sox have  not been consistently good at the same time over that period.  With their budgets normally at or near the top of the AL. both teams tend to present  major obstacles for the O's playoff plans.   Boston won the division last year and have the money to replace David Ortiz next year.  They are likely to favored to win the AL East again.

The Yankees who had a $225m budget last year currently have about 160m spent for their 25 man rosters.  They have freed up 65m if they decided to spend this off season.   That is enough to do some damage.   Gone from the budget are Texierra, McCann, Beltran., Chapman. Miller,  Eovaldi and Nova.  Give GM Cashman that much money and he can be dangerous.   

I know there is a lot of talk about the Yankees reloading after the 2018 season when several on the most attractive free agents may be available.  That may be true but  I personally doubt the the Yankees sit back and wait that long.  This year's free agent market may not be deep but they are talking about bringing Chapman back.  And Cashman can swing trades for established players.  

Did you realize that the Yankees have not had a losing season since 1995?  A 22 year winning streak.  Kind of amazing.

I say watch out for the Yankees.   They can reload in a hurry and make the O's job of making the playoffs much harder than it has been.

I think the Yankees will take this opportunity to get under the luxury tax limit and save themselves a bunch of money over the next four years.    The free agent market is very thin anyway.

The Yankees have been outscored by their opponents in three of the last four years (including last year), and Girardi has somehow kept them above .500 every time.    I don't think they're very good.    I'm interested to see what Gary Sanchez does this season.   He had a career .185 ISO as a minor league hitter, never once hitting 20 homers, and then he posted a .354 ISO and 20 HR in 53 games with the Yankees.    I guess if he's really Babe Ruth, the Yankees will be pretty good.    If he more closely resembles his minor league self, I think they're in trouble.   

That 22 year run was largely based on big FA deals paying off because of PED's.  Back then FA's were much more of a sure thing in their 30's cause or PEDS.  They benefited big league from that.

Also the Orioles and Blue Jays were terrible and TB was an expansion franchise.  

As much as the big baseball writers want to sell you on the Yankees being scary they just aren't YET.  There's a lot of hype regarding their prospects and rosterbating with adding Machado and Harper.  

Right now the Yankees are still a laughing stock when you look at what they are paying these guys:

CC- 25 million in 2017

Ellsbury- 21.14m 2017-2020

Headley- 13m in 2017-2018

Gardner- 26m over 2017-2018

That's 94 million for those 5 guys in 2017.  Add the 21 million from Arod and it's 115 million.  Don't believe the hype.  

I think they continue continue cost cutting in order to make plays on the big free agents coming down the road. This offseason is not the time for a shopping spree and I think they realize that. 2017 will be more of what we have seen recently from them, in my opinion.

They are eyeing plays on Machado, Harper, and probably Trout when the Angels decide to rebuild. They will be cutting costs in order to make a few big splashes in the near future.

in 2018 you're probably looking at

C:Sanchez 1B:Bird 2B:Torres 3B:Castro  SS:Didi   RF:Clint Frazier CF:Jacoby  LF:Judge

My guess is that Castro,Jacoby,Mateo and Gardner are all trade bait or in Ellsbury case a salary dump. Fill in 3B,CF and DH with FA and they could be real solid in the very near future. What they don't have in the minors is an ace in the making. Kaprelian,J.Sheffield and Chance Adams are nice prospects, but they're more mid rotation guys.

3 hours ago, Babypowder said:

I think they continue continue cost cutting in order to make plays on the big free agents coming down the road. This offseason is not the time for a shopping spree and I think they realize that. 2017 will be more of what we have seen recently from them, in my opinion.

They are eyeing plays on Machado, Harper, and probably Trout when the Angels decide to rebuild. They will be cutting costs in order to make a few big splashes in the near future.

We need to extend Manny now for that to not happen. I think Harper doesn't stay in DC and heads to the Yankees when he hits free agency. Trout playing in NY is a horrifying thing to think about

14 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

We need to extend Manny now for that to not happen. I think Harper doesn't stay in DC and heads to the Yankees when he hits free agency. Trout playing in NY is a horrifying thing to think about

It's amusing how folks still act like the Yankees are the only thing in town.

I think it is more likely that Manny ends up in Miami or with the Dodgers.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I very much hope they deviate from their current course and in their impatience make some bad moves.

I don't see it happening the kids and not the old man and I think the surge they had late in the season with the kids will embolden them.

I pray they reload. 

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That 22 year run was largely based on big FA deals paying off because of PED's.  Back then FA's were much more of a sure thing in their 30's cause or PEDS.  They benefited big league from that.

Right now the Yankees are still a laughing stock when you look at what they are paying these guys:

CC- 25 million in 2017

Ellsbury- 21.14m 2017-2020

Headley- 13m in 2017-2018

Gardner- 26m over 2017-2018

That's 94 million for those 5 guys in 2017.  Add the 21 million from Arod and it's 115 million.  Don't believe the hype.  

Yes Sir. 

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's amusing how folks still act like the Yankees are the only thing in town.

I think it is more likely that Manny ends up in Miami or with the Dodgers.

You can't count them out is the problem. They spend money, and do so on a whim. I don't see Manny heading to Miami if he leaves. Jeffery Loria won't pony up the cash to get him and keep him long term. LAD is more likely

5 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

You can't count them out is the problem. They spend money, and do so on a whim. I don't see Manny heading to Miami if he leaves. Jeffery Loria won't pony up the cash to get him and keep him long term. LAD is more likely

Can you share some examples of the current Yankee ownership spending on a whim?

Now I am not saying that the Yankees don't have the ability to be big players, just that the reflex of proclaiming the Yankees, and only the Yankees, as a landing spot for premium free agents is outdated.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Now I am not saying that the Yankees don't have the ability to be big players, just that the reflex of proclaiming the Yankees, and only the Yankees, as a landing spot for premium free agents is outdated.

Hal has been fiscally conservative considering the windfall profits they make. I assume that he is less of a baseball boss than a profiteer. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Agreed. I think they are going to be a lot more particular about their targets now, but I do expect them to be major players for the guys they do target. I think that includes Manny, Harper, and Trout when he becomes available soon.

Obviously I don't think they land all of them, or maybe even two of them, but I expect them to be in on all of them.

Archived