Jay to the Cubs; Does that affect us?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Sadly this likely means the Cubs are out on Dexter. Jay and Almora will likely be platooned in CF.

I think this is nice move by the Cubs.  No need to commit to Fowler long term when you have Almora.

I do wonder how Fowler's market turns out with, conceivably, the Astros and Cubs out.

Wish we landed Jay, but I wouldn't have given him 8.

5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I think this is nice move by the Cubs.  No need to commit to Fowler long term when you have Almora.

I do wonder how Fowler's market turns out with, conceivably, the Astros and Cubs out.

Wish we landed Jay, but I wouldn't have given him 8.

Who else is his market? Us? Who else now?

With the Cubs OF likely to be Schwarber,Almora,Heyward,Jay and Zobrist. That leaves Soler likely to trade which all of MLB pretty much knew, but it also makes Matt Szczur available and I think he'd be a piece that is right up Baltimore's alley. He plays good D at all 3 OF positions, is an extremely good club house presence(read about his bone marrow donation), may end up be being a .750OPS bat.

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

With the Cubs OF likely to be Schwarber,Almora,Heyward,Jay and Zobrist. That leaves Soler likely to trade which all of MLB pretty much knew, but it also makes Matt Szczur available and I think he'd be a piece that is right up Baltimore's alley. He plays good D at all 3 OF positions, is an extremely good club house presence(read about his bone marrow donation), may end up be being a .750OPS bat.

Szczur wouldn't be a bad addition. I also read that the Jays are making a push for Fowler and to trade for Jay Bruce. 

Jay is a nice player but at 8 million is he that much of an upgrade over Rickard or re-signing Bourn?  Plus what's it realistically going to take to bring back Trumbo?  You start getting in the 8 million range for a guy like Jay, you minus well just spend 15 million and bring back Trumbo.  MLBTR has him predicted at 4/60.  I don't think that cripples us or hurts our chances with Machado and upcoming FA's, since we have 35 million coming off the books in Gallardo, Miley and Ubaldo, after this season.  

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Jay is a nice player but at 8 million is he that much of an upgrade over Rickard or re-signing Bourn?  Plus what's it realistically going to take to bring back Trumbo?  You start getting in the 8 million range for a guy like Jay, you minus well just spend 15 million and bring back Trumbo.  MLBTR has him predicted at 4/60.  I don't think that cripples us or hurts our chances with Machado and upcoming FA's, since we have 35 million coming off the books in Gallardo, Miley and Ubaldo, after this season.  

Rickard may not be a player. But I'm with you, Jay at 8 is a lot, especially in the AL.

Archived