Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duquette was just live on MLB Network.

Rosenthal told him that his sources say Trumbo is indeed now open to looking at a three-year deal.  The next words from Dan were "that's interesting".

He went on to say that at the opening of the market the Orioles made what he felt was an aggressive 3-year offer that he thought would get the job done.  

He attributed it not to Trumbo wanting to explore for a 4th year in the market, and concluded that the market seems to have given that answer.

26 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

BOS paid him in successive 2 year contracts with an AAV of around 12 M. He go 2/32 M his last 2 years.

$12M AAV is a far cry from 2/12. I'm not saying that Trumbo is as good as Ortiz, but 2/12 is laughable for his kind of power, even if you think he's totally one-dimensional. 

Also, Ortiz made at least $13M a year since 2007, with the exception of 2011, where he made a mere $12.5M. So I'm not really sure where you're getting your $12M AAV from, considering his last 5 annual salaries were 16/16/15/14/14.5. 

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Roch had reported $52-56 mm, I believe.   That's more plausible to me.  

Agreed-I saw thescore just broke news he would take less. I apologize if that has been posted already. Saying he would accept 3 years at $40m.

I would probably sign him at that price. IT takes a lot to come down from a previous offer, definitely jump on that. I would give up the pick for 3 years/$40millon.

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

The article has a passage that states, "Trumbo's willingness to accept a three-year deal worth under $50 million has apparently created room for the sides to negotiate again after the Orioles took an offer in the range of $70 million - $75 million off the table in mid-December."

Who knows how legit that figure is, but I think ScoreCenter (or whatever they call themselves now) is as legitimate of a news outlet as there is right now.

That is just poor reporting.  What had been reported a while back was that Trumbo's side was willing to come down from their $80 asking price to $70-75, not that the Orioles had offered that much.  The Score-Center writer here simply mis-remembered that and didn't check his facts.

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

Agreed-I saw thescore just broke news he would take less. I apologize if that has been posted already. Saying he would accept 3 years at $40m.

I would probably sign him at that price. IT takes a lot to come down from a previous offer, definitely jump on that. I would give up the pick for 3 years/$40millon.

50 was what I saw. 3/50. Maybe we read different sources. 

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Duquette was just live on MLB Network.

Rosenthal told him that his sources say Trumbo is indeed now open to looking at a three-year deal.  The next words from Dan were "that's interesting".

He went on to say that at the opening of the market the Orioles made what he felt was an aggressive 3-year offer that he thought would get the job done.  

He attributed it not to Trumbo wanting to explore for a 4th year in the market, and concluded that the market seems to have given that answer.

Well if Trumbo was interested in a 3 year offer you would think he would contact the team that made him a 3 year offer.  Anyway I would rather save the money and get the pick.  I don't usually say that but Trumbo stuck out 170 times last year and Chris Davis stuck out 217 times.  I don't enjoy seeing guys strike out all the time. Get a guy who strikes out less than 100 times a year and who can play defense to replace him.  I will be happy not matter how poorly he hits. 

Archived