The Matt Wieters Appreciation Thread

Frobby

So long, Matt - you were very good for the Orioles for a very long time. You will be missed.

On the other hand, I think we have to make some tough choices. This was one of them. I think the Castillo signing was very good. That guy can throw some runners out, hit decently... and he's coming at about 1/3 the cost. Smart move(s) by DD.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would love to see Wieters return and finish his career as an Orioles; maybe even win a World Series with us.

One of my favorite memories of Wieters was when he was with the Bowie Baysox. The team came into Harrisburg to play the Senators, and I was hoping to get his autograph before the game, but the players had just been called into the dugout. As Wieters began walking away, I asked if I could get his autograph. He looked at me and said he had to go, but then he shrugged, came back and signed his autograph on my ticket stub as if it was no big deal. He didn't have to come over, but he did, and that was very cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article about Matt's free agency pursuits...lists the Nationals as primary suitors, but interesting that it has this comment about the Braves .  We would have been in for that one year deal I do believe. 

"According to MLB.com's Mark Bowman, the Braves are in the mix for Wieters only if he is willing to take a one-year deal for less than $10 million.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/208303460/mlb-hot-stove-free-agent-and-rumor-roundup/

25 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Interesting article about Matt's free agency pursuits...lists the Nationals as primary suitors, but interesting that it has this comment about the Braves .  We would have been in for that one year deal I do believe. 

"According to MLB.com's Mark Bowman, the Braves are in the mix for Wieters only if he is willing to take a one-year deal for less than $10 million.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/208303460/mlb-hot-stove-free-agent-and-rumor-roundup/

Boras really is hoping that his buddies with the Nats bail him out on this one.  I'm sure once MW accepted the QO last year that we offered him a pretty good extension.  

Come to find out that O's fans weren't wrong on the theory that MW was a terrible defensive C.  His redeeming quality was always throwing out baserunners and now he's had TJ.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

If Matt signs elsewhere for $10 mm or less, I'll be bummed that we didn't wait on him.   But I still doubt that happens.  

I would be very surprised if the Orioles didn't step up and beat a <1/10 offer even with Castillo already in the fold.  Multiple years at the same AAV probably not, but a 2/20 deal... maybe.

8 hours ago, 24fps said:

I would be very surprised if the Orioles didn't step up and beat a <1/10 offer even with Castillo already in the fold.  Multiple years at the same AAV probably not, but a 2/20 deal... maybe.

I don't see them investing any further money at C with Castillo in the fold.  

• 2 months later...

Archived