The Matt Wieters Appreciation Thread

Frobby

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you know that in his first five years in Baltimore Gus Triandos received MVP votes in four of them?

Glad you mentioned this. I did not know that. I actually barely knew who he was. He had three really good years. But career WAR nor great. But a 30 homer year from a catcher is nice. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Would you care to elaborate on your thought process there? 

Setting plate appearances at at least 1000 here are the 10 Orioles catchers since 1960 sorted by greatest OPS

Chris Hoiles                         0.833 OPS            3339 PA

Javy Lopez                          0.811 OPS            1360 PA

Mickey Tettleton             0.800 OPS            1364 PA

Ramon Hernandez          0.755 OPS            1476 PA

Earl Williams                       0.741 OPS            1007 PA

Matt Wieters                     0.739 OPS            3468 PA

Gus Triandos                      0.707 OPS            1094 PA

Brook Fordyce                   0.685 OPS            1036 PA

Rick Dempsey                    0.674 OPS            4105 PA

Elrod Hendricks                 0.666 OPS            2031 PA

Andy Etchebarren           0.652 OPS            2400 PA

13 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Triandos and Etcheberren both should be on the list.

Id go:

1. Triandos

2. Dempsey

3. Etcheberren

Anyone who thinks Hoiles is the O's greatest catcher of all time is, umm, misguided, sorry. That's silly. 

Andy Etcheberren wasn't even a regular. Good for what he did, sure, but I'm baffled as to how you could rate him third, above Hoiles.

If we were talking pulling a guy in their prime, Hoiles would almost have to be at the top of the list. In '93 he posted a 1.001 OPS. And while he wasn't known for his defense, he wasn't an albatross back there, either.

2 hours ago, thezeroes said:

Setting plate appearances at at least 1000 here are the 10 Orioles catchers since 1960 sorted by greatest OPS

Chris Hoiles                         0.833 OPS            3339 PA

Javy Lopez                          0.811 OPS            1360 PA

Mickey Tettleton             0.800 OPS            1364 PA

Ramon Hernandez          0.755 OPS            1476 PA

Earl Williams                       0.741 OPS            1007 PA

Matt Wieters                     0.739 OPS            3468 PA

Gus Triandos                      0.707 OPS            1094 PA

Brook Fordyce                   0.685 OPS            1036 PA

Rick Dempsey                    0.674 OPS            4105 PA

Elrod Hendricks                 0.666 OPS            2031 PA

Andy Etchebarren           0.652 OPS            2400 PA

Forgot about Tettleton. He wouldn't be a bad get, in his prime, either.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

What's silly is to put Etchebarren on the list.    He played 12 years for the Orioles and averaged 60 games played per year.    He only had two seasons where he played in half the team's games.    

OMG, Yeah, insane. So insane the Baltimore Sun had the same list as me evidently:):

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-top-orioles-catchers-all-time-2014-photogallery.html

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

Andy Etcheberren wasn't even a regular. Good for what he did, sure, but I'm baffled as to how you could rate him third, above Hoiles.

If we were talking pulling a guy in their prime, Hoiles would almost have to be at the top of the list. In '93 he posted a 1.001 OPS. And while he wasn't known for his defense, he wasn't an albatross back there, either.

Etche was before my time. From what I heard, he was amazing. Dempsey couldn't hit (except in the series) but what a catcher...

I feel pretty good about my first 2 (1. Triandos 2. Dempsey), 3 is more of a toss up for me.

I know Hoiles has links to the org. I also have heard some rumblings when he played of steroids. I am not a purist like some with steeroids. I think It is insane that Bonds and Clemens aren't in the Hall. Absolutely stupid. But was Hoiles that great of a catcher per se? I would prefer Etch or Fruit Loops (Tettleton). Just think his stats COULD BE embellished.

2 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

50 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Etche was before my time. From what I heard, he was amazing. Dempsey couldn't hit (except in the series) but what a catcher...

I saw most of Etchebarren's career.    He was satisfactory, but I'd like to know who ever called him "amazing."    Basically, he and Elrod Hendricks split the catching duties 50/50 once Hendricks arrived in 1968.    If Etchebarren had been "amazing," he would have been the clear-cut starting catcher.    During his years on the O's, he had a .652 OPS (88 OPS+) and a 39% caught stealing rate (37% was league average in those days).    Hendricks had a .666 OPS (90 OPS+) and a 38% caught stealing rate.   I don't really care what some reporter from the Sun says, it's really tough to make a case for Etchebarren being in the top 3.

On 3/10/2017 at 7:36 AM, Babypowder said:

Yeah, I'd like to hear his reasoning too. It's pretty clear to me that Hoiles is the best catcher in Orioles history.

In his defense, I don't know if he's the best catcher in Orioles history.  There's definitely a strong, strong case to be made, though.  I'd probably have him as my #1.  But if he's not number one, he's certainly in the top 3.

On 3/10/2017 at 1:08 PM, Rene88 said:

I feel pretty good about my first 2 (1. Triandos 2. Dempsey), 3 is more of a toss up for me.

I know Hoiles has links to the org. I also have heard some rumblings when he played of steroids. I am not a purist like some with steeroids. I think It is insane that Bonds and Clemens aren't in the Hall. Absolutely stupid. But was Hoiles that great of a catcher per se? I would prefer Etch or Fruit Loops (Tettleton). Just think his stats COULD BE embellished.

Etch wasn't amazing.  I wasn't alive to see him play either but I'm pretty confident in saying he wasn't an amazing catcher.

I think the best thing you've done in this conversation is shine a light on Triandos.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

In his defense, I don't know if he's the best catcher in Orioles history.  There's definitely a strong, strong case to be made, though.  I'd probably have him as my #1.  But if he's not number one, he's certainly in the top 3.

Etch wasn't amazing.  I wasn't alive to see him play either but I'm pretty confident in saying he wasn't an amazing catcher.

I think the best thing you've done in this conversation is shine a light on Triandos.

That was me actually.  :P

On 3/10/2017 at 2:04 PM, Frobby said:

I saw most of Etchebarren's career.    He was satisfactory, but I'd like to know who ever called him "amazing."    Basically, he and Elrod Hendricks split the catching duties 50/50 once Hendricks arrived in 1968.    If Etchebarren had been "amazing," he would have been the clear-cut starting catcher.    During his years on the O's, he had a .652 OPS (88 OPS+) and a 39% caught stealing rate (37% was league average in those days).    Hendricks had a .666 OPS (90 OPS+) and a 38% caught stealing rate.   I don't really care what some reporter from the Sun says, it's really tough to make a case for Etchebarren being in the top 3.

Dave Johnson got traded for Earl Williams because that tandem was so amazing. Great guys. Both other. As humans they were amazing. 

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Shows what I know for reading the whole thread.  I knew about him and knew that he was a main player for us in the late 50s and early 60s but didn't know the stats.  Had some great years.  

I'm not going to lie and tell you I knew all that off the top of my head.  I knew he was good enough that I had better look him up before making up my mind.

Archived