Rank the Orioles, by trade value

Frobby

I'm curious how posters would rank the trade value of the Orioles' players, considering performance, salary, years under team control, etc.    Here's how I'd rank them (years under team control in parentheses):

Machado (2)

Britton (2)

Gausman (4)

Bundy (5)

Schoop (3)

Tillman (1)

Jones (2)

Givens (5)

Brach (2)

O'Day (3)

Hardy (2)

Davis (6)

Kim (1)

Castillo (1)

Miley (1)

Jimenez (1)

Gallardo (2)

Joseph (4)

Rickard (5)

Flaherty (2)

If I had to guess, I'd say a couple of our minor league prospects slot above Kim.    

2 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Interesting thread.

Tillman definitely higher than Brach.

Davis too high with that contract. Same with O'Day.

Odd thing to say about O'Day, since I had forgotten to include him on my list entirely.    I've now added him in, slotting him just behind Givens, though I suspect that may underrate his value a little.    

2 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

I think Brach has only 2 years of team control remaining, in case that changes your ranking of him.

Shoot, I thought he was a Super-2 last year.   It bums me out to learn we only have him under control 2 more years.   I've knocked him down several pegs, below Givens and ahead of O'Day.   

9 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Interesting thread.

Tillman definitely higher than Brach.

Davis too high with that contract. Same with O'Day.

There is nothing wrong with O'Day's contract. It is more than fair in today's market. Brad Ziegler who is 3 years older than O'Day and very comparable in effectiveness IMO just signed for 2 years/$16 million. O'Day is owed 3 more years for $25 million.

My top ten based on cost, proximity to free agency, etc:

1. Machado

2. Britton

3. Gausman

4. Bundy

5. Schoop

6. Tillman

7. Brach

8. Givens

9. Kim

10. Hardy/Jones (tie)

This is right now.  Kim and Hardy's value goes down significantly if we are talking about July 31 because the team trading for them would only get two months of control.  If we are talking about the entire organization I would have Sisco in at 9.  Jones makes 33 mil over the next two seasons, so that hurts him a bit.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm curious how posters would rank the trade value of the Orioles' players, considering performance, salary, years under team control, etc.    Here's how I'd rank them (years under team control in parentheses):

Machado (2)

Britton (2)

Gausman (4)

Bundy (5)

Schoop (3)

Tillman (1)

Jones (2)

Givens (5)

Brach (2)

O'Day (3)

Hardy (2)

Davis (6)

I'd say this is pretty accurate. Beyond this point, I think trade value is so negligible that it makes no difference. Davis, of course, could be moved up the list several spots if the Orioles were willing to eat a lot of that contract (which won't happen). O'Day might be ahead of Givens and Brach by the trade deadline if he's healthy and normally-productive.

You have Davis way too high. He has negative value at this point relative to contract, along with Gallardo.  I would go something like:

Manny

Gausman - yes, higher than Britton. Starting pitcher and years of control.

Britton

Bundy

Givens

Schoop

Tillman

Jones

Brach

Kim

Flaherty

Joseph

Castillo

Hardy

O'Day

Miley

Ubaldo

Gallardo

Davis

5 hours ago, jcarm said:

There is nothing wrong with O'Day's contract. It is more than fair in today's market. Brad Ziegler who is 3 years older than O'Day and very comparable in effectiveness IMO just signed for 2 years/$16 million. O'Day is owed 3 more years for $25 million.

You are right. It was bad last year, but this year it is a gem. I agree with you. I take that back.

5 hours ago, jcarm said:

Aside from the facts that he missed a fair bit of time last year and that he was no where near as effective as normal.

But hey, he's only going to be 34 next year.

Archived