How Can The Orioles Make Six Starters Into Five?

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If they're unable to trade one of them, then I think Ubaldo and Gallardo are going to battle it out for the last spot in spring turning, with the loser getting long relief / spot starter duty. I think Miley's a lock for the rotation because he's left-handed. 

Yuch. Neither are suitable for the pen.

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

Yuch. Neither are suitable for the pen.

Agreed, but I don't see an alternative. They really just need to trade one of them for whatever they can get. Ideally Ubaldo. The Rockies need a SP and he has a history with them. Send him packing for lower level prospects. 

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont see either being traded.

I suspect Ublado gets stashed into the bullpen as long reliever or emergency starter. Gallardo takes too long to get loose to be consider for the pen.

I think this ends up being the way they go.

I've been all for an Ubaldo trade (maybe Miami).  But I think we're real thin at starter after the remaining five.

42 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If they're unable to trade one of them, then I think Ubaldo and Gallardo are going to battle it out for the last spot in spring turning, with the loser getting long relief / spot starter duty. I think Miley's a lock for the rotation because he's left-handed. 

I think this is spot on.

34 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont see either being traded.

I suspect Ublado gets stashed into the bullpen as long reliever or emergency starter. Gallardo takes too long to get loose to be consider for the pen.

I think all three start the year in the rotation while Gausman deals with his annual shoulder tenderness.

Is it wrong to wish for a plausible scenario where the O's deal away all three of them before the season starts?

I get sick every time I remember that we're paying these three guys $30M this year and I think about what that money could have been used for instead...

1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

No trade unless a plausible alternative can be found.  I think this is the year Wright gets converted to a reliever and we will actually be happy to see the results.

But teams need 6 starters to get through the year.  These guys are necessary.

It's tough though because they have little value, if not negative, in the bullpen.  Would they be better off with Worley as their sixth starter who can also pitch out of the pen?  

Can Verrett, Gunkel, Wilson, or Lee give you those innings?

18 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

It's tough though because they have little value, if not negative, in the bullpen.  

Well, what kind of value do most teams have with a long reliever? That's essentially the role that the O's have used rule 5 guys like McFarland and Garcia. 

Of course, you'd like to have a deep bullpen with all great pitchers but that generally doesn't happen. Six guys usually are needed due to injuries, make-up double header games, giving a starter an extra day rest from time to time. I think they keep all six.

11 minutes ago, gtown said:

Well, what kind of value do most teams have with a long reliever? That's essentially the role that the O's have used rule 5 guys like McFarland and Garcia. 

Of course, you'd like to have a deep bullpen with all great pitchers but that generally doesn't happen. Six guys usually are needed due to injuries, make-up double header games, giving a starter an extra day rest from time to time. I think they keep all six.

I think they end up keeping them too, unless a team gets desperate and overpays in March.

I'd rather have Worley at $3M in that role than Gallardo/Jimenez though.

Archived