Sign Bourn and Pagan and presto we have an outfield

FanSince88

Just now, pastorfan said:

Bourne surely can be had on a one  year deal. Pagan probably two. Get Pagan to lead off and Edwin to DH and go for it. Pagan, Kim, Edwin, Manny, & Davis provide good OBP

Where would we put Kim in this scenario?  Left?  Then Pagan moves to right?  Again, I ask -- can Pagan play right field these days?  He hasn't played it since 2010.  

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, oriole said:

Other than last year Revere has been a prototypical lead off hitter. I'd love to give him a chance in LF and move Kim to a platoon at DH with Mancini. Count me as one that is crossing their fingers for Revere.

No, he hasn't. He's been a poor hitter for his career with a 83 wRC+. He has hit for high averages but posts low OBPs because he doesn't walk and hits for absolutely no power. He's a bad offensive player.

5 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

Bourne surely can be had on a one  year deal. Pagan probably two. Get Pagan to lead off and Edwin to DH and go for it. Pagan, Kim, Edwin, Manny, & Davis provide good OBP

I mean, I don't hate this, in fact I quite like it.  If Pagan can't hack it in right, then you'd have to put him in left and probably trade or DFA Kim which would be sad for Hyun-Soo but still well worth it for the offensive pop you'd pick up.  OF defense would probably still be marginally better, though, and at least as much offense as we had last year, maybe more!  

9 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

We also could use a decent defender who hits righthanded and kills left-handed pitching--look at the Red Sox rotation.So there may not be room for Bourne and Pagan.

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Doesn't always pay off, look at De Aza.

Of course it doesn't always pay off.  I wasn't suggesting that.  But it's generally low risk/high reward.  I also wouldn't say De Aza was coming off a poor season when we resigned him.  He was very good after he came over in 2014.  

3 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

I mean, I don't hate this, in fact I quite like it.  If Pagan can't hack it in right, then you'd have to put him in left and probably trade or DFA Kim which would be sad for Hyun-Soo but still well worth it for the offensive pop you'd pick up.  OF defense would probably still be marginally better, though, and at least as much offense as we had last year, maybe more!  

Pagan pop? 64 HR in 11 years. You want to DFA a .382 OBP guy for a ,330 OBP guy?

8 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Bourn has a -29 rTOT/yr IN 214 inn in RF. Career .700 OPS v RHP.

Fair enough.  Out of curiosity, then, who would you advocate signing for RF, El Gordo?  Or would you want to make a play for a Grandy trade still?  Genuinely interested in your thoughts on this.  

12 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

No, he hasn't. He's been a poor hitter for his career with a 83 wRC+. He has hit for high averages but posts low OBPs because he doesn't walk and hits for absolutely no power. He's a bad offensive player.

I'm not saying he is the best lead off hitter or we should give him a huge contract. He offers potential high average and high speed at the top of a lineup that right now features Adam Jones as our lead off hitter. 

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Of course it doesn't always pay off.  I wasn't suggesting that.  But it's generally low risk/high reward.  I also wouldn't say De Aza was coming off a poor season when we resigned him.  He was very good after he came over in 2014.  

He was at that, not sure, who that was, in 2015 that was here, and leaving him seem to do well for him.

Just now, FanSince88 said:

Fair enough.  Out of curiosity, then, who would you advocate signing for RF, El Gordo?  Or would you want to make a play for a Grandy trade still?  Genuinely interested in your thoughts on this.  

Granderson would be my first choice. then Pagan to platoon with a RHB. I'd give D Alvarez a shot, or sign someone like Jennings who has good splits v LHP, After Pagan I like Saunders.

Just now, El Gordo said:

Pagan pop? 64 HR in 11 years. You want to DFA a .382 OBP guy for a ,330 OBP guy?

Yes I'd rather have Pagan than Kim.  Of course I'd be very reluctant to give Kim up.  But Pagan is a much better defensive left fielder, and in pastorfan's scenario Encarnacion would be our everyday DH.  You'd have nowhere to put Kim, then.  Bear in mind, that .382 OBP is coming from a much smaller sample size than Pagan's OBP is.  

I don't think we're going to sign Encarnacion, though, so I'm pretty sure we're going to have a spot for Kim next year either as a LF platoon or DH platoon at minimum.

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

Granderson would be my first choice. then Pagan to platoon with a RHB. I'd give D Alvarez a shot, or sign someone like Jennings who has good splits v LHP, After Pagan I like Saunders.

Pagan's OPS against RH starters is .720.  Not sure Rickard or Alvarez can top that even if you played them strictly against lefties.  What other RH OF are on the market this offseason?  I guess I'd be willing to accept crappy defender if he can rake against lefties and is platooning.  

The best team of what is left in FA for us;

1. Pagan RF S (2016 splits .766 vs RHP, .717 vs LHP) No need for a platoon

2. Kim LF L 

3. Machado 3B R

4. Encarnacion DH R

5. Davis 1B  L

6. Jones CF R

7. Schoop 2B R

8. Castillo C R

9. Hardy SS R

Flaherty, Joseph, Rickard, Open spot(Rule 5 guy, Tavarez)

Spend the 25ish million on Pagan and EE.  Rid ourselves of the Gallardo contract.  That's how you win the division and not just play 162 games for a chance at a 1 game play in game.  It's all up to PA.  OF defense is improved.  OBP is improved.  

6 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Yes, Desmond Jennings does have good lefty splits, doesn't he?  And plus Rdrs.  Hmmmm...this is intruiging.  Even if we don't get Pagan, we could do worse than a Kim/Jennings platoon in LF (and seak Jennings in there a defensive replacement even against righties in the late innings).  Well played, El Gordo.  

Archived