An inconvenient truth

FanSince88

7 minutes ago, Justinlstn said:

They also have a better pitching staff. Between their 5 SP they got 79 QS. The Orioles used alot of different pitchers to start and as a whole the team had 69 QS out of 9 different pitchers.

This would seem to me to be a confirmation of his point about the differences in the schedules, rather than a rebuttal.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

What's the point of spending money to watch these guys if:

A) you know they're not going to win a World Series

B) ownership treats the fans like human scum and gets rid of guys that fans invest in and get to know as a baseball player just because they don't care about winning a World Series, the city they play in, or said fans?  They treat Baltimore like a piece of garbage and Duquette treats Machado like garbage every time he talks about him.

It's a guaranteed losing investment.

I enjoy watching baseball.

41 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

B) ownership treats the fans like human scum and gets rid of guys that fans invest in and get to know as a baseball player just because they don't care about winning a World Series, the city they play in, or said fans?  They treat Baltimore like a piece of garbage and Duquette treats Machado like garbage every time he talks about him.

Those are pretty lame excuses for the lack of support the Orioles had last year.    The team made the playoffs, had the 10th highest payroll in MLB, and had below average ticket prices.   To be 20th in attendance in those circumstances reflects pretty poorly on the fan base.

58 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I enjoy watching baseball.

My cat's breath smells like Chris Davis.

1 hour ago, Justinlstn said:

They also have a better pitching staff. Between their 5 SP they got 79 QS. The Orioles used alot of different pitchers to start and as a whole the team had 69 QS out of 9 different pitchers.

Indeed, but I was speaking more to the cost of the team. Competition in the AL East means either near-perfect roster wizardry or a much larger price tag. 

1 hour ago, Stevie Janowski said:

who have they gotten rid of that the fans invested in?

2 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

You're overly optimistic and think everything on earth always comes out roses and life is perfect, and that the Orioles are the best team in baseball every year, so you're not really qualified to have this discussion.

But to answer your question: Mussina, Markakis, Cruz, and soon to be Machado/Jones/Britton.

Any fan that allowed themselves to become invested in Cruz wasn't thinking clearly.

12 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

Not really.  Every time Manny comes to bat or makes a defensive play, all I can think of is that Dan Duquette is taking his talent for granted and pushing him out of the door, and how he isn't going to be playing here anymore in 2 years.  Our chances of a World Series leave when he does, and Duquette is being completely unprofessional about it and rubbing it in our faces.  

It's all stress, no fun.  Could've been alleviated in 2014 and I could just sit back and enjoy the game for what it is, but we're cursed and had it stolen from us.

0b74261639e37363a61e9bc1aed10de9.jpg

28 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

You're overly optimistic and think everything on earth always comes out roses and life is perfect, and that the Orioles are the best team in baseball every year, so you're not really qualified to have this discussion.

But to answer your question: Mussina, Markakis, Cruz, and soon to be Machado/Jones/Britton.

Holy crap dude. If you are still bent over Mussina - then you need to get a hobby. Markakis' desired contract would have been a bad move. Crap sake didn't they give Jones a long term contract once already? I think they have invested in him already. The only question is will he be a lifelong Oriole, and how often does that happen in today's game? 

And maybe I am optimistic - BECAUSE IT IS BASEBALL. IT IS A FLIPPING GAME. I have plenty enough to be cynical about in my life, baseball doesn't need to be one of them. 

Get over yourself. 

1 hour ago, Stevie Janowski said:

44 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

Holy crap dude. If you are still bent over Mussina - then you need to get a hobby. Markakis' desired contract would have been a bad move.  For crap sake, didn't they give Jones a long-term contract once already? I think they have invested in him already. The only question is will he be a lifelong Oriole, and how often does that happen in today's game? 

And maybe I am optimistic - BECAUSE IT IS BASEBALL. IT IS A FLIPPING GAME. I have plenty enough to be cynical about in my life, baseball doesn't need to be one of them. 

Get over yourself. 

oo

Yes, and they also gave long-term extensions to Markakis and Roberts when they were still in their prime. also

Prior to the 2009 season, the Orioles gave Markakis a 6-year, $66 Million extension, and they gave Brian Roberts a 4-year, $40 Million extension. At the time, these 2 signings, which took place within two weeks of each other, was looked at as a commitment to winning in the future by much of the Baltimore Press. Roberts responded by having one of the best years of his career, setting the all-time Major League record for doubles by a switch-hitter in a season (56), scored 110 runs, and belted 16 home runs.  He started getting chronically injured the following season for the remained of his contract extension (through the 2013 season), but that was pretty hard to foresee coming ...... particularly the concussions that he suffered, which started when he hit himself in his own head with a bat. More to the point, the fact is that the Orioles opened up their wallets to 3  key players (Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, and Brian Roberts) between February 2009 and May of 2012 for a franchise that had been mired in continuous losing seasons.

Most Oriole fans were thrilled with the Adam Jones extension that was signed in May of 2012.

Not everybody agreed with the Markakis and Roberts extensions that were signed prior to the 2009 season, but I don't think that anyone could argue that MacPhail, Angelos, and company were not loosening their pocket strings and at least trying to turn the franchise around by signing several core players that were (at the time) still in their prime.

What everyone is failing to realize is that Machado can basically write his own check. Markakis, Roberts and Jones were "good" players, but not in a similar situation. Add to that him being represented by Boras and his youth and immaturity (demonstrated several times on the field) and there is little doubt in my mind that he will go to the highest bidder. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

What everyone is failing to realize is that Machado can basically write his own check. Markakis, Roberts and Jones were "good" players, but not in a similar situation. Add to that him being represented by Boras and his youth and immaturity (demonstrated several times on the field) and there is little doubt in my mind that he will go to the highest bidder. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. 

His agent is Dan Lozano.

Archived