An inconvenient truth

FanSince88

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

How much do you think Trumbo is worth?

He's an average player in his best season. 

Already said the highest I'd go. Around $14m per over 3 years. I find it funny how much people think someone is easily replaced. Have yet to replace Markakis, who was easy to replace. I know you will probably turn to metrics and defense, but hitting close to 50 HR and driving in over 100 isn't something an average player can do.

10 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

BTW, anyone see Miguel Gonzalez's final stat line for the season?

3.71 FIP, 2.7 fWAR (career high by far), 1.23 WHIP in 135 innings for the White Sox.  But we gave up our first round pick for the privelage to pay Gallardo for 2 years.

Could DD have possibly butchered that any more?

Don't remember many losing too much sleep over Miguel Gonzalez being let go at the time. Hindsight always has perfect vision.

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Even though this thread has delved into a typical offseason thread...

In regards to the OP, I think any time you have a HoF level talent on your team, you do what you can to keep them.

I'd love for Manny to sign a pre-free agent deal. Evidently, he does not want what the Orioles have offered to keep him.

5 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Don't remember many losing too much sleep over Miguel Gonzalez being let go at the time. Hindsight always has perfect vision.

I would not be interested in building a rotation around Miguel Gonzalez types in Camden Yards. I am sure he enjoys pitching outside the AL East as well. 

22 minutes ago, weams said:

I would not be interested in building a rotation around Miguel Gonzalez types in Camden Yards. I am sure he enjoys pitching outside the AL East as well. 

Who's talking about building the rotation around him?    The guy was pretty darned effective in the AL East in 2012-14, so I don't have much reason to think that his stuff wouldn't have worked in the AL East in 2016.    He actually pitched quite a lot against AL East teams in 2016, throwing to a 4.15 ERA in 43.1 IP.

3 minutes ago, weams said:

I'm not certain that his physical went one bit better.  Hey, No Gallardo signing fan here. I was over Miguel though. 

I thought him likely done but I would have preferred he had been optioned instead of cut.

Cutting him to save payroll is just bad financial planning, just like selling the pick to pay for Matusz.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I thought him likely done but I would have preferred he had been optioned instead of cut.

Cutting him to save payroll is just bad financial planning, just like selling the pick to pay for Matusz.

I guess the Orioles only had money for Davis. According to ownership.

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They had money for Gallardo...

I am certain that the Orioles would have passed had they been privey to the details beforehand. The reputation of physicals probably forced their handbook to offer an alternative  that point. Don't you think? Anyway. I never wanted Gallardo. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

I am certain that the Orioles would have passed had they been privey to the details beforehand. The reputation of physicals probably forced their handbook to offer an alternative  that point. Don't you think? Anyway. I never wanted Gallardo. 

Didn't they have scouts watching him pitch in the second half?

Lowered velocity, strict inning count, K rate down, ERA up sharply, WHIP up by almost half a baserunner.

They couldn't tell that he might be hurt?

And I never said you wanted Gallardo, that was Dan. 

Archived