CamdenChat: Gallardo is already the odd man out

FanSince88

http://www.camdenchat.com/2016/12/22/14053012/the-orioles-shouldnt-have-a-starting-rotation-controversy

"There are reasons to believe nearly every Orioles' starter could have a good season in 2017: Ubaldo's great second half, Miley's good peripherals that his ERA just didn't reflect, Bundy's stretch of excellent starts in the summer before he began to tire. I can't come up with a similar reason for Gallardo. He just doesn't look like an effective pitcher anymore.

In all likelihood, the Orioles will say this spring that there is an open competition for the final three spots of the starting rotation. That's fine to say publicly; it will keep everyone on their toes and give guys like Mike Wright more motivation to get better. In reality, though, the competition should already be over."

I would tend to agree with this, though perhaps not as strongly as the article asserts.  I think you definitely want to publicly say we're having an open competition and keep an open mind, but in the back of everyone's mind, Gallardo is probably the one with the most ground to make up at the start of camp.  Miley wasn't good for us last year, either, but did show some flashes every once in a while and had better peripherals. I think he is a notch better than Yovani at the start of camp, but I'm willing to see what happens before I completely write Gallardo off.  

I don't know how  we set here in December and declare who of Gallardo, Jimenez and Miley are in the rotation.  That answer will happen in ST.   

What Buck has said is that Wright will stay a starter.  He has an option which probably puts him in the Norfolk rotation.  At least to start the season..   Wilson also has an option as does Verrett.  Those two should compete for the long man spot that the departure of Worley has left open,  

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't know how  we set here in December and declare who of Gallardo, Jimenez and Miley are in the rotation.  That answer will happen in ST.   

What Buck has said is that Wright will stay a starter.  He has an option which probably puts him in the Norfolk rotation.  At least to start the season..   Wilson also has an option as does Verrett.  Those two should compete for the long man spot that the departure of Worley has left open,  

Tyler and Wright likely have one more season to get it done before they are passed by the next round of Sedlock, Harvey, with Akin coming right up on them. 

There's no guarantee that all six starters are healthy at the end of spring training.   I'd agree that Gallardo is the most likely candidate to start the year in the 'pen if everyone is healthy, but I certainly think that evaluation will be made in March, not now.

11 hours ago, esmd said:

Nah I don't buy it.  If Ubaldo has a horrible ST and Gallardo is lights out, you think they make Gallardo the odd man out?  No way, nor should they.  Buck will go with the hot hand.

Tillman and Gausman have jobs. 

16 hours ago, wildcard said:

He needs to be in the BP at this point. He could work out into a Heath Bell type of pitcher. 

On 12/23/2016 at 9:45 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

He needs to be in the BP at this point. He could work out into a Heath Bell type of pitcher. 

Why Heath Bell? Bell never started a single game in the majors and made only 2 minor league starts in his career. I don't see how his career path is similar to Wright's at all.

9 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Why Heath Bell? Bell never started a single game in the majors and made only 2 minor league starts in his career. I don't see how his career path is similar to Wright's at all.

I meant it as in Wright pretty much has 2 pitches he throws consistently well and muscles the ball by you, like Heath Bell used to

Archived