From MLBTR: 10 Bounceback hitter candidates-Anyone you want?

Rene88

And Rasmus

Rasmus was playing with a cyst in his ear, which was ultimately removed via surgery, and also underwent hip and core muscle procedures after the season, so perhaps injuries played a major role in his poor campaign. He also wasn’t helped by a .257 BABIP.

2 hours ago, billw76 said:

Valbuena would be an interesting option for DH and has played 1B, 2B, 3B and OF. Rasmus and Jackson would be buy low candidates for the OF.

I've always felt like he'd be a good fit who could slide into 3B in 2018.  That's if they are comfortable with Kim in LF for the majority of the time.

I like Coughlin too.  Both he and Valbuena are flexible enough that you wouldn't need Flaherty.  It's open up a roster spot.

Rasmus' Price is still too high from what I've read.  But Baltimore could "out opportunity" other teams.  He wouldn't help with OBP, but he'd provide good defense with some pop in the lower third of the order.

I'm very interested in Jennings and Jackson as their market has plummeted.

This shows that there are options out there.  If we don't trade for Granderson, we have three open position spots.  I see us coming away with 1-2 players from this list.

2 hours ago, backwardsk said:

I've always felt like he'd be a good fit who could slide into 3B in 2018.  That's if they are comfortable with Kim in LF for the majority of the time.

I like Coughlin too.  Both he and Valbuena are flexible enough that you wouldn't need Flaherty.  It's open up a roster spot.

Rasmus' Price is still too high from what I've read.  But Baltimore could "out opportunity" other teams.  He wouldn't help with OBP, but he'd provide good defense with some pop in the lower third of the order.

I'm very interested in Jennings and Jackson as their market has plummeted.

This shows that there are options out there.  If we don't trade for Granderson, we have three open position spots.  I see us coming away with 1-2 players from this list.

Honestly besides Iannetta, Morrison and Plouffe, I think everyone else on the list is interesting and all could possibly help. I probably would avaoid Butler too but he would improve OBP.

Coughlin and Valbuena are definitely the most versatile and could fill in at a few different spots, and should be able to do better than Flaherty.

I'm not sure why Rasmus price always seems to be so high. He hits homers but thats about it, although if healthy he would be an upgrade in the OF. I think if he was signed and either P. Alvarez or Carter for DH it would replace Trumb's HR's in the lineup and probably not require long term commitment.

Chris Coghlan is the guy I want. He was terrible after going over to the A's last year, but he is the best fit of all those guys for the Orioles. Strong outfield corner defense, good OBP skills. I mentioned him the other day. As the article notes: "A left-handed hitter with some defensive versatility, Coghlan has provided the Cubs with over 1,000 plate appearances of .264/.351/.441 hitting and 26 home runs over the last three seasons."

Sign Coghlan and Pagan, move Kim to DH.

1 hour ago, Moondoggie said:
1 hour ago, Moondoggie said:

Chris Coghlan is the guy I want. He was terrible after going over to the A's last year, but he is the best fit of all those guys for the Orioles. Strong outfield corner defense, good OBP skills. I mentioned him the other day. As the article notes: "A left-handed hitter with some defensive versatility, Coghlan has provided the Cubs with over 1,000 plate appearances of .264/.351/.441 hitting and 26 home runs over the last three seasons."

Sign Coghlan and Pagan, move Kim to DH.

Yuck. 

13 hours ago, weams said:

Valbuena. 

And the happiest of New Years to you as well. You always have interesting takes.

Thank you sir. Happy New Year to you and  your family sir.

Here is an overall MLBTR tracker for everyone. I think it is up-to-date, but I could have sworn Stephen Drew signed a major league deal with an AL club so not 100% sure:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017-mlb-free-agent-tracker

9 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Thank you sir. Happy New Year to you and  your family sir.

Here is an overall MLBTR tracker for everyone. I think it is up-to-date, but I could have sworn Stephen Drew signed a major league deal with an AL club so not 100% sure:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017-mlb-free-agent-tracker

I heard that the Nationals were reconsidering him. 

DEFINITELY

#1 - Luis Valbuena.  I targeted him for my "you're the GM" Orioles team at the start of the season.  Would be a tremendous sign if his market is suppressed.

#2 - Chris Coghlan.  OPSed .779 back in Chicago just last year and Camden is a similar ballpark to Wrigley (actually a little bit smaller down the lines - but both are open field grass)

#3 - Colby Rasmus.  Only if his health is ok.  I Like that he's had talks with the Orioles in the past.  There are other, better options IMO but he should be on the radar.

MAYBE

#4 - Adam Lind.  I've been a big fan of Lind over the years, but now I question whether his age is catching up with him.  Lind from 2013-2015:  .291/.364/.478

#5 - Desmond Jennings.  Still a very good defender but not all that excited about his bat.  Might rather see what Aneury Tavarez can do.

#6 - Logan Morrison.  Maybe a candidate for that LH-DH job, and can play some LF.  But isn't Hyun-Soo Kim a better option for that role?

NO

#7 - Austin Jackson.  Three years of bad (sub .700 OPS) offense.  I like my bounce-back candidates to be coming off one bad year.

#8 - Trevor Plouffe.  Just not a good fit anywhere.  Boston is looking at him though.

#9 - Billy Butler.  [insert joke here]

#10 - Chris Iannetta.  We've got Wellington Castillo and I think Iannetta is toast anyway.

I would have interest in Billy Butler on a league-minimum deal. Although I'm not sure if we have room on our bench for a platoon DH. 

I definitely would have interest in Desmond Jennings. The rest I would pass on. Lind is a bit tempting, but I have a feeling he's done. Plouffe would be great if he could play the outfield. 

Archived