Colorado's RF Jordan Patterson blocked

wildcard

When I look at the Rockies roster I see 6 left-handed  outfielders.   Add to that Ian Desmond who is listed as a first baseman.  Desmond is right-handed. 

http://m.rockies.mlb.com/roster

Jordan Patterson will soon be 25.  He played last year at AAA.   HIs minor league career averages are 290/369/487/857.   He has a strong right arm.  He was a pitcher in college.   He has good range.  He is 6'4" 215 lb.   He was drafted in the four round.   He is not highly thought of by the Rockies.  Their website ranks him as their 18th prospect.   

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=patter000jor

Here is a article from July 2016 about Patterson.

http://roxpile.com/2016/08/01/colorado-rockies-uncertain-future-jordan-patterson/

Though I am not sure he is the best answer for the O's right field, he is probably better than any one the O's have on the roster right now.

I wonder what it would take to get him.  The article seem to say it would not take that much.

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He probably has 3 options.  I would like to have him in the O's system.   He looks better that what the O's have.

If he's expendable, why shouldn't we be the team to scoop him him up?  Good call here, Wildcard.  Wonder what the "very little to get him" would be?  If this guy were already in our system, he would be penciled in as our 2017 RFer.  I like his 9 assists and 1 error in RF, plus 10 SBs without getting caught.  Think Duquette is even aware of him?  Sign Angel Pagan for LF.  You know he's solid.  This way, Kim does nothing but DH with Mancini.  You're a smart guy, Wildcard.

56 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He probably has 3 options.  I would like to have him in the O's system.   He looks better that what the O's have.

I'm not convinced of that.    The PCL is a very favorable offensive environment.   If the guy is ranked 18th in the Rockies' system, how good could he be?

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm not convinced of that.    The PCL is a very favorable offensive environment.   If the guy is ranked 18th in the Rockies' system, how good could he be?

C'mon, man, you don't have to tell us that, " The PCL is a very favorable offensive environment."  We all know that.  Everybody knows you're a very knowledgeable guy. I know I'm not the only one who looks forward to your posts, so, tell us who you think would be a better RF candidate.  You've made it clear you don't like this guy 'cause he put up his stats in the PCL.  He is blocked in the current Rockies OF.  

He has had solid numbers at every stop.  He was very goood playing in the eastern league in 2015 in his time there.  I am not sure he is guy I want to hang hat on for right field but a guy that could be on the Norfolk bus with guys like Rickard and Alvarez and maybe a guy to play in 2018 if Kim leaves.

Don't know much about him, but from what I can find he doesn't seem much different than the Rule 5 guys. In fact, Fangraphs rates him as pretty much a fringe guy.

17. Jordan Patterson, OF/1B, VIDEO

Patterson enjoyed a hugely successful season last year split between High-A and Double-A, though questions remain regarding how well he will hit major league pitching. He shows above-average bat speed and respectable power, but inconsistent barreling and a swing that can get overcommitted early may limit its utility against advanced offerings and sequencing. He looked better in the regular season than in the Arizona Fall League, but he likely settles in as a fringe starting option with a streaky BABIP-reliant average and decent pop. If he can make strides with his plate discipline and make pitchers come to him, he has the all-around skills to bump him into above-average starter territory.

Hit: 40/45/50 Power: 45/50+/55 Run: 45/45/45 Field: 50/50/50 Throw:55/55/55
Overall: 40/45/55

3 hours ago, ELMERO said:

C'mon, man, you don't have to tell us that, " The PCL is a very favorable offensive environment."  We all know that.  Everybody knows you're a very knowledgeable guy. I know I'm not the only one who looks forward to your posts, so, tell us who you think would be a better RF candidate.  You've made it clear you don't like this guy 'cause he put up his stats in the PCL.  He is blocked in the current Rockies OF.  

He thinks Dariel Alvarez might be as good. As do I.

3 hours ago, ELMERO said:

To be honest, there are dozens of posters who follow other teams' minor league systems more than I do.    I wouldn't have any valid basis to compare Patterson to, say, Dariel Alvarez to determine who's better.   

Patterson will soon turn 25 which is an age where the can still improve.   Daniel Alvarez is 28.  He probably is at his peak and has not established himself in the majors.  Alvarez may have a better arm but Patterson's arm is above average, he has good range. has hit for a better OBP throughout his career.   And he is left-handed which is something the O's lineup could use. 

I would think that Rickard is slightly ahead of Patterson in his development.  I would put Patterson's development ahead of Tavarez.   I think Dariel Alvarez is behind those three outfielders in overall talent.  JMO

Archived