Report: Orioles Show Interest in Moss

Rene88

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His splits aren't bad.  He can DH against RHP and play in left or right against LHP.  

But if they do go this route, we will know that defense was never a priority at all.  

I think Moss could hit 30-40 home runs playing everyday in Baltimore.  There are worse routes to go (like resigning Trumbo to a big deal IMO).  Still rather add Pagan or Rasmus.  

Moss is like a left-handed version of Trumbo, only with a little less power. If all things were equal, I'd probably take Alvarez over Moss, but Moss hasn't been awful against lefties throughout his career so theoretically he could be the everyday DH. He probably would hit 30+ bombs with Camden Yards short right field porch but he'll probably also hit .230, have a .320 OBP, and K 150+ times in a full time role.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

His splits aren't bad.  He can DH against RHP and play in left or right against LHP.  

But if they do go this route, we will know that defense was never a priority at all.  

I think Moss could hit 30-40 home runs playing everyday in Baltimore.  There are worse routes to go (like resigning Trumbo to a big deal IMO).  Still rather add Pagan or Rasmus.  

Completely agree about Pagan. I think we have to be more athletic and have more overall speed. Moss, Kim and Smith do not fit on the same roster IMO.

I'm pretty confident we will add at least one guy from the Trumbo/Alvarez/Napoli/Carter/Moss/Rasmus/Pagan/Saunders collective. Out of those, Moss would be one of the lower ones on my list, though I think he would be a solid contributor. I'm not a major Pagan fan but it does seem that he might be the best overall fit. 

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I'm pretty confident we will add at least one guy from the Trumbo/Alvarez/Napoli/Carter/Moss/Rasmus/Pagan/Saunders collective. Out of those, Moss would be one of the lower ones on my list, though I think he would be a solid contributor. I'm not a major Pagan fan but it does seem that he might be the best overall fit. 

We need help defensively. How would you rank them according to defense only?

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

We need help defensively. How would you rank them according to defense only?

Well, Alvarez, Napoli, and Carter would be exclusively DHs unless Davis gets injured. Moss and Trumbo could potentially play OF but would probably both be bad. Moss may be better than Trumbo but signs still point to him being pretty bad in the OF. As for the actual outfielders, I don't know too much about them but my guess would be 1) Rasmus 2) Pagan 3) Saunders in terms of fielding ability. 

Rasmus certainly fits our current high-power low-OBP style.

At this point, losing the pick for Trumbo with so many other cheaper options available (like Moss and Alvarez) seems silly.

I like Trumbo a lot, but it just seems like a bad move.

In fact, you could probably sign Moss and grab a couple of these guys on a mil deal in what is left as insurance.

Spend the rest on SP depth. Anything and everything that excepts a mil deal.

12 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

At this point, losing the pick for Trumbo with so many other cheaper options available (like Moss and Alvarez) seems silly.

I like Trumbo a lot, but it just seems like a bad move.

In fact, you could probably sign Moss and grab a couple of these guys on a mil deal in what is left as insurance.

Spend the rest on SP depth. Anything and everything that excepts a mil deal.

Agree that there is very little reason (aside from the fact that he is a known quantity and a popular guy internally) to resign Trumbo with all the similar and significantly cheaper options out there. I do think there is a bit of overstating Trumbo's replaceability, but not a lot. Would be quite agitated if we sign Trumbo, especially if it's for anything close to what our initial offer was (4/52ish).

1 minute ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Agree that there is very little reason (aside from the fact that he is a known quantity and a popular guy internally) to resign Trumbo with all the similar and significantly cheaper options out there. I do think there is a bit of overstating Trumbo's replaceability, but not a lot. Would be quite agitated if we sign Trumbo, especially if it's for anything close to what our initial offer was (4/52ish).

Completely agree.

17 minutes ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

It's not like the offer is going down. 

Archived