Mike Napoli?

esmd

Given what DD said about Trumbo and placing high value in the comp pick we'd get, is Mike Napoli a better/more realistic option?  We've discussed Alvarez as a LH DH to platoon with Mancini, but would Napoli on a 1yr deal as the DH be a better move?  Obviously he had a career year with the HR's and RBIs and will likely decline from that, but if he hits 25HRs, drives in 75-80 runs, and gets on base at his normal clip (seems to usually be at least .320 or higher), would he be the better, cheaper (both in $$ and years) option to Trumbo, and at a price not much more than it would take to get Alvarez?  I have to believe he could be had on a 1yr deal for say, 8 or 9 million (he made 7 with Cleveland last year).  That's not a whole lot more than you could probably get Alvarez back for, and Napoli in his career has always been a much better OBP guy than Alvarez.  Plus the intangibles that he brings, as far as leadership and postseason experience.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/napolmi01.shtml

The main issue I see with this move, would be that Mancini would be blocked, at least for the '17 season, and it seems like it's time to give him ABs at the Major League level and see how he does.  If they sign Napoli, Mancini is stuck on the bench or at Norfolk this season.  Still, if they're going to be a realistic WS contender, I have to think Napoli at DH makes them stronger than a Mancini/Alvarez DH platoon.  I dunno, what do you guys think?

1. Smith/Unknown RH hitting RFer

2. Kim/Rickard LF

3. Machado 3B

4. Davis 1B

5. Jones CF

6. Napoli DH

7.  Schoop 2B

8. Castillo C

9. Hardy SS

You could also play around a bit to get a better R/L mix, maybe move Jones into the 2 hole, and drop Kim/Rickard to 8th.

What say you?

I didn't realize Carter's OBP was as high as it was (.321).  That .222 batting average though...ugh.  But with that OPS, he obviously makes the most out of the hits that he does get and gets on base via BB a decent amount.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cartech02.shtml

So, I guess it really comes down to what we think makes them a better lineup; A) Napoli or B) Carter, or C) an Alvarez/Mancini platoon?  Honestly, I'd prefer any of them to bringing back Trumbo on a multi year deal.

2 minutes ago, esmd said:

I didn't realize Carter's OBP was as high as it was (.321).  That .222 batting average though...ugh.  But with that OPS, he obviously makes the most out of the hits that he does get.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cartech02.shtml

So, I guess it really comes down to what we think makes them a better lineup; A) Napoli or Carter, or B) an Alvarez/Mancini platoon?  Honestly, I'd prefer either of them to bringing back Trumbo on a multi year deal.

My preference at this point is a LH OF/DH (Saunders, Moss) and a RH or SH OF that could back up CF (Pagan, Gutierrez), with Kim as primary DH, Mancini backing up DH/1B and Rickard starting the season at AAA.  Extra bonus points if Valbuena replaces Flaherty.

Pipe dream yeah, and probably too much money... but the bench could look like (#2 C, Valbuena, Mancini, Moss or Gutierrez) and that would be a very good bench, hitting at least, with a backup plan at every position.

I'm higher on Rickard than you are and think he'd do well as the RH side of a LF/RF platoon, but that's fine, agree to disagree.  My biggest issue with your scenario is Mancini on the bench.  I think he needs to get play and get ABs, and I'm not sure he'd get enough of them being on our 25 man sitting on the bench.  Unless you're sitting Kim against lefties and playing him at DH.  Interesting.  Would Saunders or Moss really be that much of a defensive upgrade over Kim, though?  And we'd still need someone to platoon with Seth Smith against lefties.  Unless you keep Rickard for that, making Saunders/Moss a starter against all pitchers.

Saunders is a defensive upgrade over Kim if he's healthy -- Moss, no.

This is why I think it makes most sense to go after Pagan.  He does not need to be platooned.  He can play LF.

I suppose you're right that it makes more sense to keep Rickard vs LHP over Manicni in that regard - that Rickard can back up RF.

Kim is supposedly getting more PAs vs LHP this year, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, esmd said:

I'm higher on Rickard than you are and think he'd do well as the RH side of a LF/RF platoon, but that's fine, agree to disagree.  My biggest issue with your scenario is Mancini on the bench.  I think he needs to get play and get ABs, and I'm not sure he'd get enough of them being on our 25 man sitting on the bench.  Unless you're sitting Kim against lefties and playing him at DH.  Interesting.  Would Saunders or Moss really be that much of a defensive upgrade over Kim, though?  And we'd still need someone to platoon with Seth Smith against lefties.  Unless you keep Rickard for that, making Saunders/Moss a starter against all pitchers.

Rickard is evidently with Brady, in California. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Is anyone have Mary Reynolds flashbacks whenever someone suggests Chris Carter? Absolutely no interest in him. Zero nada zilch. And no interest in Napoli either. They need another OF...not another "pure" DH.

Would you call him "Mary" to his face?

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Is anyone have Mary Reynolds flashbacks whenever someone suggests Chris Carter? Absolutely no interest in him. Zero nada zilch. And no interest in Napoli either. They need another OF...not another "pure" DH.

That's Sheriff Mary to you, buddy!  

Archived