Lorenzo Cain

ELMERO

Just some more food for thought.  Would the Royals be willing to part with him, or are they, like us, going all-in this year?  Would Brad Brach, OF Austin Hays and LHP Jason Acquino be a fair offer?  With Cain in RF and Seth Smith in LF, as everyday players, there would be no platooning angst.  Then, sign David Hernandez to replace Brach. How would you like these line-ups?

RHP

RF LORENZO CAIN
LF SETH SMITH
3B MANNY MACHADO
1B CHRIS DAVIS
CF ADAM JONES
DH HYUN SOO KIM
2B JONATHAN SCHOOP
C  WELINGTON CASTILLO
SS J.J. HARDY

LHP

RF LORENZO CAIN
LF SETH SMITH
3B MANNY MACHADO
CF ADAM JONES
DH TREY MANCINI
1B CHRIS DAVIS
2B JONATHAN SCHOOP
C WELINGTON CASTILLO
SS J.J. HARDY

I'd love Cain, but not sure I'd be willing to pay what it would take to get him.  Also, he's a free agent in 2018.  If he was there for the taking I imagine he would no longer be a Royal.  

Jayson Aquino does not hold any value.  Maybe replace Aquino with Sedlock and the Royals pick up the phone, but that still probably doesn't get it done.  

As your lineup goes, can't have Seth Smith in there against LHP and I'm playing Lorenzo in CF and Adam in RF. Smith/Rickard would platoon in left and Kim/Mancini at DH. 

32 minutes ago, theobird said:

No, that trade idea does not get it done for Cain. But I would be thrilled to get him. If you moved Adam Jones and his cannon arm to RF with Cain in CF we would have an exceptional defensive OF even with the Smith/Rickard platoon in LF.

Yessir.  And I don't think he stays in KC either.

Unfortunately I don't think we've got the goods (or if we do, we don't want to give them up, i.e. Bundy & Gausman etc).  Different name, same story.

I think perhaps that some of us are overestimating what it would take to get Cain.  The reason the Royals are looking into trading Cain and others is that they are free agents after the season, and KC knows they can't retain them.  That is also the reason that thinking it would take Bundy, Gausman, etc. is misguided, IMO.  The Royals figure to get a comp. draft pick next year when he leaves.  They are looking to get back more than that value, but four or five years of a #2,#3 SP is too much.  They certainly aren't going to give him away, and they aren't in a must-trade situation, but a realistic offer that nets them more than the value of the comp pick plus their anticipated 2017 player value, net of his salary, can get him, IMO.

43 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I think perhaps that some of us are overestimating what it would take to get Cain.  The reason the Royals are looking into trading Cain and others is that they are free agents after the season, and KC knows they can't retain them.  That is also the reason that thinking it would take Bundy, Gausman, etc. is misguided, IMO.  The Royals figure to get a comp. draft pick next year when he leaves.  They are looking to get back more than that value, but four or five years of a #2,#3 SP is too much.  They certainly aren't going to give him away, and they aren't in a must-trade situation, but a realistic offer that nets them more than the value of the comp pick plus their anticipated 2017 player value, net of his salary, can get him, IMO.

I would love to think you are right. If Mancini, Sedlock and and a lesser piece could get him I would be all in on that.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I'll admit that I first I thought this was a joke, but after thinking about it maybe the Royals would want to trade him.  Givens and Sedlock?  

I don't think it'll happen but we entertain every other idea.  I mean I could talk myself into believing that we could win the AL East with Brandon Moss in RF if I had to.  

6 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Top 5 MVP candidate costs a lot whether he's a FA at years end or not.  The lack of any press on him has to be telling though, either he is not really available or teams have checked and it's not worth pursuing.

Former top 5 MVP candidate.

Not that he wasn't good last year but there was a drop off from 2014-2015.

I would absolutely love Lorenzo Cain on this team and as noted above would have him in CF and move Jones to RF...that is IF Jones is on-board (at least partially) with the idea. While it's clearly the best defensive arrangement, you cannot completely alienate your vocal leader to make it happen as much as I like the idea.

As for the trade, it's obviously not enough to get Cain. If Cain had an extra year or two on his deal, I'd consider a package to get him, but unfortunately, with just a year left a package it would take to get him wouldn't be worth it. It would have to start with Sedlock or Sisco and need to include another notable piece (Hays, Dietz, Akin).

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Former top 5 MVP candidate.

Not that he wasn't good last year but there was a drop off from 2014-2015.

He is only 30.  I don't think you can project decline yet.  That whole lineup was a little worse.  No Moose, bad Hosmer.

Rebound is likely.  Now if you are giving up 2 top prospects you could right off the pick from from Trumbo and the pick from Cain QO, provided a likely $50 million contract, as equivalent value and not lose much in the equation.

6 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

He is only 30.  I don't think you can project decline yet.  That whole lineup was a little worse.  No Moose, bad Hosmer.

Rebound is likely.  Now if you are giving up 2 top prospects you could right off the pick from from Trumbo and the pick from Cain QO, provided a likely $50 million contract, as equivalent value and not lose much in the equation.

Rebound is likely.  Top 5 MVP caliber season is not likely. 

Archived