How much more is Chris Davis worth than Mark Trumbo

birdcrazy

52 minutes ago, theobird said:

If you need a first baseman, then quite a bit. As a DH? Not so much. It also depends on if you need a guy to Play everyday against both LH and RH pitching. If that's the case, Trumbo has a good deal more value.

Exactly. Trumbo could be more valuable to COL or NYM. Not so much for the Orioles who have Davis locked in at 1B as well as Mancini. I would rather have Pedro (plus a draft pick) for fewer years and less cash.

I do agree that we would need to platoon somebody with Pedro but we have options. You could carry Mancini for RH DH, although that would force us to experiment with Kim as every day LF. But who knows, maybe he hits if he gets more than 17 ABs. Or we could send Mancini back to AAA, and start Wellington Castillo as our DH vs LHP, and platoon Kim/Rickard LF and Smith/Dariel or Santander RF.

Is the marginal upside of starting Trumbo over Castillo at DH vs LHP worth the draft pick and extra money? Only if Trumbo's price plummets, in my opinion. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davis is overpaid and I didn't want him back on the team.  But that being said at least Chris can play a decent first base.  Trumbo is a butcher in the field.  I think we should move away from guys like them.  It seems like the league has as that is why no one else seemed be bidding on Chris last season and no one seems to be willing to give much to Trumbo.  The one dimensional guy who either hits a home run or strikes out and who can't field in a position other than first base seems to not very valued these days.  

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

My question is, how much more valuable is Trumbo than Pedro Alvarez?

I think the bigger question is how much more valuable is Trumbo the an Alverez and Mancini platoon?  I think you can get about the same production out of that combo then Trumbo.  Maybe not the homers but in OBP and OPS.

59 minutes ago, cimota said:

Davis is overpaid and I didn't want him back on the team.  But that being said at least Chris can play a decent first base.  Trumbo is a butcher in the field.  I think we should move away from guys like them.  It seems like the league has as that is why no one else seemed be bidding on Chris last season and no one seems to be willing to give much to Trumbo.  The one dimensional guy who either hits a home run or strikes out and who can't field in a position other than first base seems to not very valued these days.  

I think the two situations are different.   The Orioles' early bid on Davis was very aggressive and scared off most other teams, I think.   If the Orioles had sat back and waited to see how the market developed, I think there would have been plenty of teams chasing Davis, just not at a price exceeding $150 mm.    

The lack of interest in Trumbo surprises me somewhat.    It may just be that his agent overplayed his hand, or the fact that there seem to be a lot of players of his type on the market this offseason. There are plenty of teams who could use a 1B, IMO.   There are 11 teams that had an OPS of .750 or lower there.

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

I think the bigger question is how much more valuable is Trumbo the an Alverez and Mancini platoon?  I think you can get about the same production out of that combo then Trumbo.  Maybe not the homers but in OBP and OPS.

Agreed, that would be the obvious solution for DH. The only problem there is you can only platoon one of the OF positions, but we have two guys (Kim and Smith) that appear to need platoon partners. Sliding Wellington Castillo to DH on off days instead of Mancini would open up a spot for another OF.

On 1/11/2017 at 10:17 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Age and he doesn't do one thing particularly well.  R.Davis can steal bases.  Rasmus has power.  Pagan is kind of average at everything.  I like him though.  

On 1/11/2017 at 1:52 PM, Tryptamine said:

Your own GM said there was never a deal in place, yet there are still people who believe there was a deal in place. That's the part I just don't get.

On 1/11/2017 at 3:15 PM, Can_of_corn said:

They are trying to recreate the Royals.

On 1/11/2017 at 3:20 PM, PressBoxOnline said:

Orioles manager Buck Showalter on the importance of the team's minicamp: "We're going to try to out-relationship you. It's a lot more fun, quite frankly, instead of trying to outbid on people."

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/01/11/orioles-find-minicamp-a-necessity

13 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Id do a 3 year deal for Trumbo at 15-16m per in a heart beat. I LIKE that its 3 years..he'll be 34 at the end of the deal..thats when the power drops off. I WANT TRUMBO BACK.BAD,He protects the deep slumps Davis always goes into and Trumbo hits more meaningful HR's too.

Absolutely do not want him back at anything more than a 2/22 type deal. Who else is even offering that much? Let's take the extra pick and get a better defense. Having said that, I like Trumbo as a teammate, and I assume he is part of Buck's "we will out-relationship" you party.

Has the ship sailed on Pagan? I would like to see something that would push Kim towards being the primary DH, with occasional starts in left. I would not want to platoon Kim. Mancini not having a position really hurts him. 

9 hours ago, crawjo said:

Has the ship sailed on Pagan? I would like to see something that would push Kim towards being the primary DH, with occasional starts in left. I would not want to platoon Kim. Mancini not having a position really hurts him. 

I don't see why the ship would have sailed.     

The question should read, "Who would you rather have Chris Davis or Mark Trumbo?".

I have not seen Trumbo play any first base and have watched Davis over the last three years.  Davis is in the upper tier of first baseman in the American League IMO.  Davis has a better OBP than does Trumbo. 

It is my opinion that Davis is a better player than Trumbo so I would rather him over Trumbo.

10 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

The question should read, "Who would you rather have Chris Davis or Mark Trumbo?".

I have not seen Trumbo play any first base and have watched Davis over the last three years.  Davis is in the upper tier of first baseman in the American League IMO.  Davis has a better OBP than does Trumbo. 

It is my opinion that Davis is a better player than Trumbo so I would rather him over Trumbo.

I think that is obvious.  I think the OP asks the better question: sure Davis is better, but is he so much better that he warrants a contract that is twice as long and four times as much as what is being offered to Trumbo?

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think that is obvious.  I think the OP asks the better question: sure Davis is better, but is he so much better that he warrants a contract that is twice as long and four times as much as what is being offered to Trumbo?

Considering that Davis has more value in two seasons than Trumbo does in his entire career, I would say yes. They aren't particular close because the ceilings are miles apart.

29 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Considering that Davis has more value in two seasons than Trumbo does in his entire career, I would say yes. They aren't particular close because the ceilings are miles apart.

I agree they're not close in value.   We did overpay Davis, though, and I'm not sure he warrants getting a deal four times as much. 7/$161 mm is much more likely to hamstring the franchise than 3/$40 mm.     It hardly matters, since Davis is a done deal and Trumbo's best position is the one Davis plays.   He'd probably be more valuable to another team that has offensive issues at 1B.

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree they're not close in value.   We did overpay Davis, though, and I'm not sure he warrants getting a deal four times as much. 7/$161 mm is much more likely to hamstring the franchise than 3/$40 mm.     It hardly matters, since Davis is a done deal and Trumbo's best position is the one Davis plays.   He'd probably be more valuable to another team that has offensive issues at 1B.

Agreed on all counts.

Archived