Will Rickard beat out Kim for the starting job in left field?

wildcard

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

I wonder if it's possible that Kim is working hard in the off-season to improve as an outfielder.

From what I saw he's a much better baserunner than Rickard.

I wonder if Buck will steal Kim's glove in spring training and claim it was stolen by a dingo.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think he'll be better.  His defense (or at least metrics) almost has to be better, and I think he has more OBP skills than he showed.  But I also thought he was slugging over his head last year, too.

I thought his defense was alright. For a guy never above AA. He missed the cutoff man a lot early on. Got better I thought. A lot of people on here judge Joey against who we might have had in his place. What veteran MLer. I look at Joey as (now) a promising prospect. A VERY good young player to have locked up.

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I wonder if Buck will steal Kim's glove in spring training and claim it was stolen by a dingo.

Hmm, that's interesting. I remember seeing Rickard getting picked off and making some wrong decisions on the base paths, while Kim seemed to make good decisions and make his turns very efficiently on the way to picking up extra bases on hits. (I'm not, of course, talking about either one's base-stealing abilities. And I haven't learned base running metrics yet.)

3 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Hmm, that's interesting. I remember seeing Rickard getting picked off and making some wrong decisions on the base paths, while Kim seemed to make good decisions and make his turns very efficiently on the way to picking up extra bases on hits. (I'm not, of course, talking about either one's base-stealing abilities. And I haven't learned base running metrics yet.)

My remark, which was meant as a joke, was inspired more by Buck's reluctance to play Kim than any talent advantage Little Joey might have, real or imagined.

7 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Kim is a good base runner in the sense that he is not an idiot, he hustles, and he is 'fast for his size".  Rickard would seem to have far more innate base running ability (assuming not being an idiot and hustling are teachable skills).

1 minute ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Kim is a good base runner in the sense that he is not an idiot, he hustles, and he is 'fast for his size".  Rickard would seem to have far more innate base running ability (assuming not being an idiot and hustling are teachable skills).

Yes, Joey can run into outs faster than Kim.

4 hours ago, Moondoggie said:

I'm waiting to see if Rickard even makes the club before concerning myself with his beating out Kim or anyone else. He has three options and it's hard to imagine the Orioles not trying to find a way to keep another Rule 5 guy (they hate passing up on what amounts to a free player). So Rickard will have to prove himself in spring training or he'll be playing in Norfolk.

I'm still advocating Kim as a lefty DH and acquiring another corner outfielder who improves the outfield defense.

Norfolk wouldn't be bad thing for Joey. I think he might play his way onto the team tho. We'll see.

Archived