Thoughts on J.D. Martinez

Bahama O's Fan

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

I've gotten the impression that Martinez is pretty bad defensively, other than a good arm.

He was shockingly bad last season but on average I don't think he's worse than Kim or Trumbo.  Kind of like Michael Saunders that way.

Offensively he's had three straight seasons among the best in the American League.  He's more dangerous than Carlos Gonzalez at half the price.

It's pretty surprising to me that Detroit hasn't been able to move him - it can only mean they're asking for the moon.

32 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I think they are asking for premium young talent in return. Understandable. It would probably take Gausman + for Detroit to start negotiating. Martinez was awful in the OF last year. 

Gausman alone would be a massive overpay for Martinez.

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Agreed.  It'd be one thing if he had 2 or 3 seasons of team control, but not if he's a FA after '17.  You don't give up premium talent for a rental.  That's what I think the O's need to go all-in for '17 if they're not going to sign Machado and Britton.  Because otherwise, you might as well just trade them now when you can get maximum value for them both.

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Indeed, but our "prospects" would all be underpays. We can't get Martinez without major league talent going back, and I don't think that's what Detroit wants anyway. They want prospects, we don't have them.

3 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I think they are asking for premium young talent in return. Understandable. It would probably take Gausman + for Detroit to start negotiating. Martinez was awful in the OF last year. 

I'm pretty sure they'd start listening if we offered Givens.  We don't have the milb talent to land him and it's pointless to weaken your mlb team if you're trying to win now.  

Archived