Our 2016 pitching staff liked home cooking, our offense didn't really care

Frobby

I just noticed a few interesting things about our 2016 pitching staff:

-  The staff had the 5th best home ERA in the American League, at 3.81 (compared to 4.64 on the road, 12th in the league)

- The staff allowed the 3rd lowest homer total at their home ball park of any AL team (88, compared to 95 on the road)

Interestingly, the offense was only slightly better at home than on the road:

- 376 runs at home (7th), 368 on the road (7th)

- 131 homers at home (1st), 125 on the road (1st)

- .769 OPS at home (6th), .743 on the road (6th)

It's funny, I think we all have the impression that the reason our home record was much better than our road record is that the team's offense was built for homer-friendly Camden Yards.   The truth is, our pitching staff for whatever reason was really good at home, and especially good at keeping the ball in the ballpark.   

Here are some of the pitchers who did much better at OPACY than on the road:

- Kevin Gausman, 2.67 ERA at home (12 starts), 4.32 on the road (18 starts)

- Dylan Bundy, 3.14 ERA at home (19 games, 8 starts), 5.21 on the road (17 games, 6 starts)

- Yovanni Gallardo, 4.47 ERA at home (10 starts), 6.22 on the road (13 starts)

- Wade Miley, 5.17 ERA at home (6 starts), 7.54 on the road (5 starts)

- Mychal Givens, 2.48 ERA at home (33 games), 3.89 on the road (33 games)

- Vance Worley, 2.38 ERA at home (18 games, 2 starts), 4.60 on the road (17 games, 2 starts)

- TJ McFarland, 2.25 ERA at home (7 games), 11.37 on the road (11 games)

- Darren O'Day, 3.15 ERA at homes (21 games), 4.91 on the road (13 games)

It's interesting that Gausman started 18 of 30 times on the road.    Tillman, by the way, pitched much better on the road than at home last year (2.97 ERA in 14 starts on the road, 4.61 in 16 starts at home).  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I just noticed a few interesting things about our 2016 pitching staff:

-  The staff had the 5th best home ERA in the American League, at 3.81 (compared to 4.64 on the road, 12th in the league)

- The staff allowed the 3rd lowest homer total at their home ball park of any AL team (88, compared to 95 on the road)

Interestingly, the offense was only slightly better at home than on the road:

- 376 runs at home (7th), 368 on the road (7th)

- 131 homers at home (1st), 125 on the road (1st)

- .769 OPS at home (6th), .743 on the road (6th)

It's funny, I think we all have the impression that the reason our home record was much better than our road record is that the team's offense was built for homer-friendly Camden Yards.   The truth is, our pitching staff for whatever reason was really good at home, and especially good at keeping the ball in the ballpark.   

But, but, but... FIP.  :)

Pitching to the defense - and the ballpark - is a skill.

25 minutes ago, Number5 said:

But, but, but... FIP.  :)

Pitching to the defense - and the ballpark - is a skill.

To be honest, I don't know what the explanation is.   The pitchers struck out more batters at home (642 vs. 606), and allowed fewer walks (261 vs. 284).    As mentioned, they allowed 7 fewer homers at home.    Other than the homers, they allowed 3 more hits on the road, which is not surprising considering the fewer strikeouts.    BABIP was close -- .298 at home, .303 on the road.    

Since we had a terrible road record last year, couldn't alot of it be that we weren't pitching the "A" squad relievers as much?  Because we were losing.  I don't know how big a difference it would make in the overall numbers but Britton, Brach, Givens and O'day pitched a combined 20 more IP at home than the road.  Seemed like we saw a lot of Ondrusek, Despaigne, Bridwell, Miranda types on the road when we were losing.  

My best guess would be the bullpen usage and then our young starters like Gausman and Bundy felt more comfortable pitching at home.  

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Since we had a terrible road record last year, couldn't alot of it be that we weren't pitching the "A" squad relievers as much?  Because we were losing.  I don't know how big a difference it would make in the overall numbers but Britton, Brach, Givens and O'day pitched a combined 20 more IP at home than the road.  Seemed like we saw a lot of Ondrusek, Despaigne, Bridwell, Miranda types on the road when we were losing.  

My best guess would be the bullpen usage and then our young starters like Gausman and Bundy felt more comfortable pitching at home.  

Being ahead or behind had more to do with the Bullpen Usage than anything else.  the "A" squad was used in winnable games (tied or ahead) the "B" squad was used as "Mop Up". 

24 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Being ahead or behind had more to do with the Bullpen Usage than anything else.  the "A" squad was used in winnable games (tied or ahead) the "B" squad was used as "Mop Up". 

One of the most anomalous stats of the year: in August, the bullpen posted a 6.43 ERA and saved 10 out of 10.    They pitched well when protecting a tight lead, but lousy when trailing or way ahead.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

One of the most anomalous stats of the year: in August, the bullpen posted a 6.43 ERA and saved 10 out of 10.    They pitched well when protecting a tight lead, but lousy when trailing or way ahead.   

And that would be Parker Bridwell.  Worley also got touched up pretty good.  10 ER in 14.2 IP.  

Archived