Orioles smarter than Yanks

pastorfan

We paid far more for Trumbo than the Yanks did for Carter, but surely we made the right choice. I mean this guy strikes out so much and I'm sure last year was not Trumbo's career year, it was him coming out party. The Yanks just wasted 3 million.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/02/yankees-chris-carter-agree-to-one-year-deal.html

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

We paid far more for Trumbo than the Yanks did for Carter, but surely we made the right choice. I mean this guy strikes out so much and I'm sure last year was not Trumbo's career year, it was him coming out party. The Yanks just wasted 3 million.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/02/yankees-chris-carter-agree-to-one-year-deal.html

Well I agree with you there.  Trumbo's career year was 2012.  Higher OPS+ and wRC+.

I would much rather have Carter for 1/3 than Trumbo for 3/37.  I think they are very similar offensive players that I don't want to see in the field.

3 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

The Yankees are spending $16M and two roster spots for DH.

The Orioles are spending $11.5 and one roster spot.

Oh, and if the O's had signed Carter instead of Trumbo they would be spending let's say $4M and one roster spot for DH. (I hate assuming a player would take the same money even if it is likely in this case)

Just now, RZNJ said:

Carter has more chance to build value for a future contract in OPACY than Yankee stadium.  Worked for Trumbo.  I think 1/3 would have gotten it done.

So do I, like I said I just hate to assume a player would have taken an identical deal.  Heck maybe before Trumbo and Napoli were off the market his price was higher.  At 4M it's still a no brainer.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Carter has more chance to build value for a future contract in OPACY than Yankee stadium.  Worked for Trumbo.  I think 1/3 would have gotten it done.

It will be interesting to see how this actually plays out in actual real life. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you think Trumbo is going to play 150+ at DH?

He may.  I'm sure he'll get some time in RF, but if it's more than 40-45 games, Kim or Smith have been hurt.

If Trumbo doesn't get hurt, I'd bet it's more likely that he plays more than 150 games at DH than under 115.

If we carry Mancini and want to call him a DH, that's fair.  It's still $4M less than the Yankees.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So do I, like I said I just hate to assume a player would have taken an identical deal.  Heck maybe before Trumbo and Napoli were off the market his price was higher.  At 4M it's still a no brainer.

Come on give the O's some credit. Last year we signed Davis by winning a vicious bidding war and this year we managed to spend some 30 + plus million for a similar player. Not everyone can accomplish this.

Just now, pastorfan said:

Good point. Carter at any point could fall apart, as making contact is not his strong point.

Or Trumbo could regress. Anything could happen. And usually does, around the margins on these equivalencies. 

1 minute ago, pastorfan said:

Come on give the O's some credit. Last year we signed Davis by winning a vicious bidding war and this year we managed to spend some 30 + plus million for a similar player. Not everyone can accomplish this.

I'm getting a sarcastic vibe here. 

Archived