Orioles smarter than Yanks

pastorfan

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could have had Carter/Pedro as DH for less than Trumbo

DD is making himself a lot of friends among the player union by propping up he salaries of past prime veterans, or guys like Davis and Trumbo that get paid for their career years and than regress to what they are.

Well one thing if for sure the O's should have a happy club house full of guys that couldn't make their salaries anywhere else

25 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

Yes, this proves the O's are brilliant. 

18 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I know, right.  You'd think a team like the Yankees with their spendthrift ways would win more games than a team that's run by someone as inept as DD.  But they didn't.

o

I'm still enjoying the results of last season:

o

1) ) The Orioles beat the Yankees on the final game of the 2016 season.

2) ) The Orioles won the final series of the 2016 season against the Yankees, 2 games to 1.

3) ) The Orioles won the 2016 season series from the Yankees, 10 games to 9.

4) ) The Orioles knocked the Yankees out of the 2016 post-season with a 4-0 shutout of the Blue Jays on September 29th.

5) ) The Yankees DID NOT knock the Orioles out of the post-season in the final series of the 2016 season.

So, the Yankees spent a lot less money (and less years) on Carter than the Orioles did for Trumbo.

Good for them.

They (the Yankees) are also known for historically overspending on both their own players and free agents since the late 1970's. If it makes the OP happy to sarcastically gloat about a single comparison of contracts for a power hitter on each of these respective teams, good for him/her. To me, it's an obvious case of trolling.

42 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, with Carter we would have gotten the Trumbo draft pick and had an extra 9M to play around with and had someone who's not a threat to play any games in RF.

This is definitely something some are glossing over. An extra draft pick is basically an extra chance to pick up cheap talent. Carter, plus the pick, plus $9 million to spend elsewhere definitely has some merit. Especially when you have Mancini as a backup plan.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

It's not necessarily an "either or" situation.  I don't hate Trumbo's contract.  I think Carter is a steal.

What I mean is that they are pretty similar players statistically as a DH. Now, Trumbo could hit 40 homers next year and Carter could hit .195 with 200 Ks and they both might end up worth their contracts, but it's just surprising to me that their contracts are so different.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You might not like the presentation but bringing up Carters deal in comparison to Trumbo and comparing their value is a valid argument and thread worthy.

Comparing Carter and Trumbo is thread worthy, absolutely.  Saying that the Yankees are outsmarting the Orioles (when they already have $13M committed to DH) takes a little more defending.

The Orioles could have saved money, but they passed on Carter at 3M.  A lot of teams passed on Carter.  The Blue Jays committed $30M+ for Morales.  The Indians chose to spend $60M on Encarnacion instead of $3M on Carter.  The Rangers chose Napoli.  All AL playoff teams with needs at DH/1B passed on him,

On 2/7/2017 at 4:33 PM, RZNJ said:

You might not like the presentation, but bringing up Carters deal in comparison to Trumbo and comparing their value is a valid argument, and thread worthy.

o

That's precisely the point.

This is another off-season thread of his, which Paul Folk shut down immediately:

O's Smarter than Giants: Why Did Bochy Start Bumgarner?

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26781-os-smarter-than-giants-why-did-bochy-start-bumgarner/ 

O's smarter than Giants, O's Smarter than Yanks ........ he has an agenda, and it isn't to elicit a discussion on the questionable decisions that the Orioles have made, either on or off the field. 

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It's not necessarily an "either or" situation.  I don't hate Trumbo's contract.  I think Carter is a steal.

That's where I am as well.  I think Trumbo got fair market value.  Carter was a great value signing.

But let's think about this from a roster standpoint.  Based on how the market shook out, the Yankees overpaid for an aged Matt Holliday to be their DH -- a man who put up  107 OPS+ at age 36.  Not as bad a contract as Kendrys Morales got from the Blue Jays, and he is certainly flippable on his one year deal, but in order for the Yankees to flip him they need to give him plenty of at bats.

Chris Carter on the other hand, appears to be destined for 1B:

Despite his defensive issues, Carter seems likely to be a prominent part of the Yankees’ equation at first base, as fellow free agent pickup Matt Holliday is set to be their primary designated hitter. The right-handed-hitting Carter is clearly a more established option than likely starter Greg Bird, a lefty-swinger who could platoon with Carter. And it remains to be seen how Bird will bounce back after missing all of last season because of a shoulder injury.

Like Holliday, the best course of action for Carter may be to flip him.  But that will cost one of their best young hitters in Bird some development time.

In the end we'll have to see.  I don't think this signing makes the Yankees appreciably better since I am high on Bird.

Although they are similar, Carter definitely strikes out more than Trumbo.  Trumbo's never had a K rate above 30% in his career (25%) whereas Carter is at 32% consistently over the last 3 seasons.  

And you can just as easily argue that Carter's due for regression as is Trumbo.  Carter's 2015 was terrible.

It will be curious to see how they incorporate Carter with Matt Holliday as well.  

4 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Don't they have Tyler Austin as well in the 1b mix??

True - if they want him higher in the pecking order than Bird I won't complain.

The Yankees are again the fourth best team in the AL East on paper.  They were last year, and that is where they finished.  Unless Gary Sanchez puts up a 180 OPS+ season and I do not expect that to happen.

19 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Although they are similar, Carter definitely strikes out more than Trumbo.  Trumbo's never had a K rate above 30% in his career (25%) whereas Carter is at 32% consistently over the last 3 seasons.  

And you can just as easily argue that Carter's due for regression as is Trumbo.  Carter's 2015 was terrible.

It will be curious to see how they incorporate Carter with Matt Holliday as well.  

Carter also walks a lot more than Trumbo.

Archived