Before yesterday: would you have traded Mancini for Ynoa?

Frobby

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

From what I am reading elsewhere, Tony has Mancini lower than most and Ynoa higher than most.

Orioles.com has Mancini at #5 and Ynoa at #16.

John Sickels has Mancini at #4 and Ynoa at #14

Baseball America has Mancini #5 and Ynoa is no listed on the O's or Mets Top 10 list.

Interesting.    I personally feel Tony's ranking of Mancini was too low, but he usually grades a bit more on upside than some of the national publications, which is why he ranked Mancini where he did.    

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting.    I personally feel Tony's ranking of Mancini was too low, but he usually grades a bit more on upside than some of the national publications, which is why he ranked Mancini where he did.    

Tony's ranking are as good or better than anyone else.  I am just posting what I am reading on Mancini and Ynoa rankings.

In fact Kieth Law ranks the O's system at 25 and the Mets at 7 overall so the Mets. So  Baseball America rankings might have the two players about equal.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tony's ranking are as good or better than anyone else.  I am just posting what I am reading on Mancini and Ynoa rankings.

In fact Kieth Law ranks the O's system at 25 and the Mets at 7 overall so the Mets. So  Baseball America rankings might have the two players about equal.

Yeah, makes sense.    I personally think a Mancini for Ynoa trade would have been defensible, since Mancini is pretty well permanently blocked.    Of course it would be nice to eke out a bit more value than Ynoa if we do trade Mancini.

I wonder how much cash was involved.  

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Of course, now we know we got Ynoa for cash -- how much, we don't know.    But put yourself back at Thursday: if it had been announced that we'd traded Mancini for Ynoa, would you have thought that was good, reasonable or bad?    If you think it would be bad, who's another pitcher who would be a fair exchange?

I admit I would have thought it perfectly reasonable.

If the Orioles traded Mancini for another such pitcher I would still think it reasonable.  For a "good" trade IMO, I would want a pitcher with middle-of-rotation potential; in other words, a little better than Ynoa.

I would not have traded Mancini for Ynoa.  But I recognize I am an overrater of Trey as I believe he is going to exceed current wisdom and expectations.   I would have wanted a higher ranked pitching prospect than Ynoa or highly ranked corner outfield prospect for Trey.    Phil Bickford in Milwaukee system as a possible trade suggestion- he is ranked number 5 in Brewer system but also is looking at a 50 game suspension to start 2017 due to marijuana use.  

"Bickford, 21, was the No. 18 pick in the 2015 Draft and received a $2.3 million signing bonus from San Francisco before he was traded to Milwaukee along with Andrew Susac in exchange for Will Smith at the Aug. 1 Trade Deadline. He went 7-7 with a 2.93 ERA in 23 games across both organizations and three affiliates this year, striking out 135 batters in 120 innings, mostly with Class A Augusta before finishing the year with Class A Advanced Brevard County."

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I would not have traded Mancini for Ynoa.  But I recognize I am an overrater of Trey as I believe he is going to exceed current wisdom and expectations.   I would have wanted a higher ranked pitching prospect than Ynoa or highly ranked corner outfield prospect for Trey.    Phil Bickford in Milwaukee system as a possible trade suggestion- he is ranked number 5 in Brewer system but also is looking at a 50 game suspension to start 2017 due to marijuana use.  

"Bickford, 21, was the No. 18 pick in the 2015 Draft and received a $2.3 million signing bonus from San Francisco before he was traded to Milwaukee along with Andrew Susac in exchange for Will Smith at the Aug. 1 Trade Deadline. He went 7-7 with a 2.93 ERA in 23 games across both organizations and three affiliates this year, striking out 135 batters in 120 innings, mostly with Class A Augusta before finishing the year with Class A Advanced Brevard County."

Mike Bordick shares your optimism for Mancini. 

5 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Have the Orioles hurt Mancini's value even more by basically making him a player without a position? 

On a side note, wonder what the Dodgers would want for Tracye Thompson? Showed some pop with 13 HR for the Dodgers. Hasn't been a high average guy, but has had a few good years in the minors getting on base. Only 24 and RH. 

Maybe. If he is just a DH type of player is that the fault of the O's? 

49 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I admit I would have thought it perfectly reasonable.

If the Orioles traded Mancini for another such pitcher I would still think it reasonable.  For a "good" trade IMO, I would want a pitcher with middle-of-rotation potential; in other words, a little better than Ynoa.

But you may not get that for Mancini. 

27 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

If we're being blunt, I would sign Bickford just so we could use "Sweet Leaf" as his walk-in music.

Archived