Orioles Release Bourn (again)

Can_of_corn

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/27/2017 at 9:57 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

How crazy is this though?  Was there even room for him in AAA?   

Orioles-

Jones CF, Kim LF, Smith RF then you have Trumbo, Rickard, Gentry and possibly Tavarez.

Norfolk

Schaffer CF, Dickerson LF, Pedro/Mancini RF, Santander, Choice.

No need to guarantee that much money to Bourn.  Gentry took his job.  Plus Tavarez might stick till at least April 15.  Plus we have some projects in our AAA OF in Mancini, Alvarez, Dickerson(come back), Santander(eventual rehab stint).  

Santander can't spend more than 20 days on a rehab stint, so he's not really a factor.   

If Bourn re-signs a minor league contract its just to get at bats until there are enough ML injuries to get him back to the majors.  He will have an opt-out or two in the contract.  And while he is at AAA he will probably be he best outfielder on the AAA team.

The O's may  just be preparing Bourn and Pedro Alvarez to make the majors on another team.  Unless the O's need them first.

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Bourn re-signs a minor league contract its just to get at bats until there are enough ML injuries to get him back to the majors.  He will have an opt-out or two in the contract.  And while he is at AAA he will probably be he best outfielder on the AAA team.

The O's may  just be preparing Bourn and Pedro Alvarez to make the majors on another team.  Unless the O's need them first.

Agree on Bourn but Pedro is carrying a real hot bat right now. But definitely good points as usual.

On 3/27/2017 at 9:57 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

How crazy is this though?  Was there even room for him in AAA?   

Orioles-

Jones CF, Kim LF, Smith RF then you have Trumbo, Rickard, Gentry and possibly Tavarez.

Norfolk

Schaffer CF, Dickerson LF, Pedro/Mancini RF, Santander, Choice.

No need to guarantee that much money to Bourn.  Gentry took his job.  Plus Tavarez might stick till at least April 15.  Plus we have some projects in our AAA OF in Mancini, Alvarez, Dickerson(come back), Santander(eventual rehab stint).  

Santander won't be in AAA of course unless he's on rehab assignment, but your point remains solid. There was no real room any longer for Bourn once he got hurt and Gentry played so well. I would like to see him resigned and stashed in AAA. He could still have value as a 5th outfielder.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

If I broke my finger I'd be on bed rest for four months. It's incredible how quick these guys come back.

I once broke my finger in the exact same way as Bourn did, catching a football and it jammed my finger.    I got excused from gym for six weeks and avoided the week when we were to be tested on our gymnastics skills, much to my delight, because I was just terrible at gymnastics.    Best injury I ever had.   

• 4 weeks later...

Archived