Orioles Release Bourn (again)

Can_of_corn

6 hours ago, pastorfan said:

Reimold's new career should be to teach people how to win over their bosses. This guy, somehow, apparently won over Buck as well as Brady to a degree rarely seen. Seriously, the guy must have a way with people. 

One would hardly think that the O's released him at one point.

Oh wait, that doesn't fit the narrative you are trying to establish.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, NashLumber said:

From Roch's column this morning:

"“It wasn’t football for fun, first off,” Bourn said this morning while standing at his locker with a splint on his finger. “I was doing it for conditioning. It was just a conditioning drill that you do and the ball just hit be in the wrong spot. I thought it was a jam at first, but I kind of knew. It hurt kind of bad, more than a jam. And they showed me a little spot where there’s like a little crack. Not a crack, but a little space where it broke a little bit, so I have to let it heal and I’ll see what happens."

They need to look into using Nerf footballs for that drill from now on. That could happen to anybody. Glad it wasn't Manny, Adam or Gausman or the like. 

As someone that's broken a finger just catching a football before, this is true. By the same token, though, freak injuries can happen in literally any exercise these guys ever do in camp.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

One would hardly think that the O's released him at one point.

Oh wait, that doesn't fit the narrative you are trying to establish.

LOL. Dude was kept as a defensive replacement last year. Name a worse defensive outfielder replacement in recent memory. Nothing personal, but anyone who does not see that the organization had an "unusual" affinity for the guy is simply blind. 

13 hours ago, pastorfan said:

LOL. Dude was kept as a defensive replacement last year. Name a worse defensive outfielder replacement in recent memory. Nothing personal, but anyone who does not see that the organization had an "unusual" affinity for the guy is simply blind. 

Totally disagree, and I've never considered myself a huge Reimold fan.    Let's look at it year-by year:

2009 - Very good rookie debut (.831 OPS), ending with a late-season injury.

2010 - Made the team but didn't hit, sent to the minors relatively quickly and struggled all year, including some injuries.

2011 - Started the year in the minors, got called up, had a pretty solid season (.781 OPS).

2012 - Raked all spring, started the year on fire (.960 OPS) got hurt and required neck surgery and missed most of the season.

2013 - Started the year with the team, didn't hit, got sent to the minors, required a second surgery and missed most of the year.   (3rd option used.)

2014 - Started the year with the team, didn't hit, got DFA'd and Toronto claimed him.    Didn't hit there, ended up playing a few games with Arizona after a second DFA.

2015 - Signed a MiL deal with the O's, got called up in June, did decently if not spectacularly (.738 OPS).

2016 - O's tendered him a contract, he started the year hot, but eventually stopped hitting and never really got it together after that.

I don't really see anything unusual here.    Obviously, the O's were slow to DFA him in 2016, but everything they'd done before that seems pretty reasonable to me.   I think the worst thing you can really say is that the team waited too long in 2016 for a second hot streak that never came after his blistering April.

Some belated analysis from BP:

The Orioles are going for it. That’s not so much a takeaway from this move, of course, but it’s a crucial fact that underpins the decision to make it. Bourn is little more than a standard issue non-roster invitee. He has a fair chance to make the roster, even with Rule 5 pick Anthony Santander seemingly clinging to the last spot on Baltimore's bench right now and even with Baltimore’s extreme penchant for gobbling up and finding ways to keep guys through the Rule 5 draft (Ryan Flaherty, Joey Rickard, Jason Garcia, T.J. McFarland).

That’s because, while his bat has turned to rubber and some of the bounce has gone out of his step, Bourn remains a useful backup outfielder: capable of playing all three positions, fast enough to steal a high-leverage base here and there, and reliable as a fill-in, bottom-of-the-order outfielder whenever injuries crop up. The window is closing for the Orioles. Bourn isn’t going to shove it back open. He’s just hopping back on board to help push, pull, and heave this bloated roster through that window before it’s too late.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=31279

• 4 weeks later...

How crazy is this though?  Was there even room for him in AAA?   

Orioles-

Jones CF, Kim LF, Smith RF then you have Trumbo, Rickard, Gentry and possibly Tavarez.

Norfolk

Schaffer CF, Dickerson LF, Pedro/Mancini RF, Santander, Choice.

No need to guarantee that much money to Bourn.  Gentry took his job.  Plus Tavarez might stick till at least April 15.  Plus we have some projects in our AAA OF in Mancini, Alvarez, Dickerson(come back), Santander(eventual rehab stint).  

Archived